Tips for designing mammals

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: Tips for designing mammals

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

What if there was a way to have it line up on a grid, if one were to use a grid with a combination of 90 degree angles as well as 45 degree angles?

My reasoning for this is because with box pleating, the axial creases are all on 90 degree angles and the 45 degrees are for ridge creases. The grids place axial creases on the grid lines. Seeing that the axial creases on a 22.5 degree angle cp are always at 90 or 45 degrees while the ridge creases are all 22.5, wouldn't it make sense for a grid to be used at 90 and 45 degree angles?

I plan to give this a try, but if somebody has already tried this before, please stop me before I end up banging my head on the wall...
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

The problem is that a line with a slope of 22.5deg is the diagonal of a 1:(1+sqrt2) rectangle. Sqrt2 is by definition irrational, so it won't fit the way I think you think it will. Your definition of axial creases only applies to uniaxial bases as well, and a lot of 22.5deg crease patterns are not uniaxial.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
binky2819

Post by binky2819 »

You aren't entirely confined to using a grid when implementing box pleating in a design. For instance, let's say you find this reference point:

and let's say length AB is some irrational number, like 0.238962 or whatever. You can still divide that length into however many pleats you need to make claws, for example. Even though none of the creases would lie on any grid.

You just have to try various different approaches. It could be that you have to make a totally different design from you original test folds. Maybe you do end up using a grid or maybe it's more convenient to use diagonal symmetry. It's all about experimenting.
Check out all of my designs at my Flickr! https://www.flickr.com/photos/156771525@N03/
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

NeverCeaseToCrease wrote:What if there was a way to have it line up on a grid, if one were to use a grid with a combination of 90 degree angles as well as 45 degree angles?

My reasoning for this is because with box pleating, the axial creases are all on 90 degree angles and the 45 degrees are for ridge creases. The grids place axial creases on the grid lines. Seeing that the axial creases on a 22.5 degree angle cp are always at 90 or 45 degrees while the ridge creases are all 22.5, wouldn't it make sense for a grid to be used at 90 and 45 degree angles?

I plan to give this a try, but if somebody has already tried this before, please stop me before I end up banging my head on the wall...
This is the right questions to ask...
With regards to learning how to do variations on 22.5 based c.ps ..one person to follow would be Michelle Fung.http://www.michellefung.net/cps
I'm her website explains why she has provided more than twenty c.p.s. based on 22.5 with parallel bisectors 90° 45° no need to do unnecessary box grids but she did use them in her early models....If you begin with her Kokeshi Doll tutorials on YouTube..https://youtu.be/dVwnWYYp2F8
her technique of creasing is a pleasure to watch then she shows you the collapse and shaping..
Her diagram of Ribbon Kitty
https://youtu.be/1T5cwgACCVY is harder to follow ..because the paper is turned inside out more than once and she uses tucks...and sinks..Other videos of models on her site..the Awareness Angel
Umbrella
The Beaver Head is quite easy ..Then the rabbit head..She seemed to learn in that sequence.
The sailor moon dolls original as assembled from four pieces
Snowman based can be used for other mammals
The short haired person ones were fun!!
Good luck