Approaching Origami design.....The best way

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Lexigon5

Approaching Origami design.....The best way

Post by Lexigon5 »

I was looking at Seth Friedman's website and in the about section under origami my attention was caught by Two statements he made:

1: "Complex, realistic origami sculptures like those you see in the gallery are possible because modern origami designs start with pencil, paper and a notebook".

2: "Rather than using trial and error, modern origami designs are planned from the ground up".

Can anyone shed some light on how to learn this approach to origami design please ?
Are there any good blog's books or videos on this subject ?

I like the sound of this method much better than the idea of just doodling until I get something I like or just modifying someone else's model and then still needing the original artists permission to use it commercially.

Any advice appreciated.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Approaching Origami design.....The best way

Post by origami_8 »

Book: Origami Design Secrets (2) by Robert J. Lang
It isn't the cheapest but worth every penny. This huge (and heavy) book describes in depths everything you need to know, to start designing your own models from scratch. On almost 600 pages Robert J. Lang explains his approach to design with diagrams of plenty of his greatest models in between as examples for his detailed descriptions.
Lexigon5

Post by Lexigon5 »

Ok Thank you.
I will give this book a try and see if I can get my head around it.
Dave Brill

Post by Dave Brill »

I've just picked up this posting, so apologies for the late reply.

Robert Lang's achievements in the origami world are enormous, as are his masterworks, Origami Design Secrets and Twists,Tilings and Tessellation. But both books are almost completely beyond me. They describe technical and mathematical design methods which I cannot use: they remind me of my schooldays. I was and am hopeless at maths and only managed to scrape through my exams thanks to dear Jack Eaton, a patient and elderly teacher, who allowed some of the impenetrable mathematical scales to fall from my eyes.

I'd recommend Kunihiko Kasahara's book Creative Origami https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Origa ... 0870404113 Although more than 50 years old, I suggest this book as much more accessible for those who like me don't really understand what an algorithm is, break out in a sweat on seeing algebraic formulae, and are mystified by the concepts of rivers and circle packing.

In Creative Origami, Kasahara describes in a relatively short chapter entitled "The Thrill of Creating" the approach which is closer to my own. I'm happy to see that Creative Origami is apparently still in print, and really should be part of your origami library.

I wrote a little about Kuni Kasahara, who is a now a good friend, here:
https://brilliantorigami.com/2016/07/21 ... hara-1967/

He now maintains a blog which is worth looking at from time to time:http://www.92origami.net

Best wishes to all forum subscribers!

Dave Brill
http://www.brilliantorigami.com
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Lexigon, I second the recommendation of ODS2 if you’re looking for a more technical approach to design. The book is especially helpful for understanding crease patterns and how they lend themselves to certain folded forms.
However, Mr. Brill is not to be discounted, as there are several designers who use a more organic approach (think Master Yoshizawa) and even a few (such as John Montroll) who use yet another approach.

In the end, it’s all about what—and how—you want to design.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Of course it depends a lot on what and how you want to design how to tackle the subject. ODS2 is for sure the most comprehensive book about Origami design techniques.

A few other books that come to my mind that cover other methods or design styles are:
John Montroll "Origami Polehedra Design"
Nicolas Terry "Passion Origami"
Jeremy Shafer "Origami to Astonish and Amuse"
J.C. Nolan "Creating Origami"

By the way: Unless you are an absolute Math-aficionado I would'nt recommend "Twists, Tilings, and Tessellations". It is more of a dissertation than an Origami book.