Origamists aren't weird!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Actually, it's called abaca here too... you'd get blank stares if you ask for "manila hemp". :-)

Abaca is primarily used to make baskets, ropes and floor/welcome mats here.

Yes, I've also seen abaca paper. But so far, those that I've seen are hand made and a tad too rough. I'd get splinters if I try to fold them. They are primarily used by scrap bookers.

Do you mean to say that there are abaca paper of a finer grade?

Hmm...I'm going to check again. Thanks for the tip.
kenongab

Post by kenongab »

eric_son wrote:We are both alone.

In my country, there are already a bazillion scrap booking shops scattered around the metropolis.... but I have yet to find an art store that sells paper good enough for origami. I'd have to go out of my way and DIY foil paper myself. I can't even use scrapbooking papers sold in the shops here because not only are they already pre-cut to A4 size (not big enough for complex models), they also have bunnies, flowers, stars, and other stuff embossed on the surface. :(

Anyway although I'm frustrated that I really have to go out of my way to find materials and books for my favorite hobby, I don't feel bad that Origami is not so popular where I live. Actually, I get a higher feeling of pride and accomplishment that I was able to fold "this" and "that" with what little resources I have. :-)
You're not alone, brother! I'm from the phil. too! The problem is that I can't find a place that is selling good paper. Oh, and I know only 1 guy who also knows how to fold(but he's kinda schizophrenic)

Nasa davao ako. :P
<(^^)>-~~--Kiel
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

eric_son wrote:Do you mean to say that there are abaca paper of a finer grade?
Yep - you'll want to find the kinds that are used for writing or printing, and also the ones that are made from pure abaca fibre (or a mix of abaca and salago). Many of the abaca papers you find for scrapbooking contain a mix of other plant material - rice stalks, pressed flowers, etc.

Usually paper mills and distributors can sell you small sample books or paper swatches; these are usually worth browsing through to see what's available.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

The abaca paper I tried out came from...of all places... a stationary store.
That was about a couple of years ago. I initially bought it to practice calligraphy, and it almost wrecked my oblique nib.

After that fiasco, I tried to fold the remaining sheets. But that failed too. So I gave up on abaca.

Anyway, I'll try to ask around again. Thanks for the heads up.
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I have to get my local paper shop to order it in. I suppose not many people where I live fold paper so there's not real need to have it in stock... :|
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

wolf wrote:
eric_son wrote:Do you mean to say that there are abaca paper of a finer grade?
Yep - you'll want to find the kinds that are used for writing or printing, and also the ones that are made from pure abaca fibre (or a mix of abaca and salago). Many of the abaca papers you find for scrapbooking contain a mix of other plant material - rice stalks, pressed flowers, etc.

Usually paper mills and distributors can sell you small sample books or paper swatches; these are usually worth browsing through to see what's available.
Following your tip, I was able to get in touch with a local paper manufacturer. I found out that they DO manufacture abaca paper specifically for Origami. Unfortunately, they don't sell their product locally -- NO MARKET! Instead, they export the paper they make to Japan.

However, the lady I got in touch with was very helpful. She offered to sell me their export overruns.

I was able to get 100 sheets of 70cm x 50cm high quality abaca paper at 10 pesos (roughtly 20 cents) a sheet. :D

Yeah!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Buying direct from the papermakers is a lot of fun. You'll have to buy in large quantities to get a good price, but then you never worry about saving up that special paper just for that one special model anymore!

I've got a few hundred sheets of mulberry paper (at about USD$0.50 per 25x37" sheet) coming my way in a few months... :)
malachi

Post by malachi »

wolf wrote:I've got a few hundred sheets of mulberry paper (at about USD$0.50 per 25x37" sheet) coming my way in a few months... :)
And you can't share your source?
=(
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

~folder~of~paper~ wrote:I have to get my local paper shop to order it in.
:( I don't even have a paper shop anywhere nearby (on the province, i mean) that I know of

Going back on topic, i must disagree with the title. I beleive we origamists are all wierd, but not in a bad sort of way. Sometimes wierdness can be good! :D We are also all unique and special because of our ability to fold paper into strange and wonderful things.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs