Origami in Hong Kong

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
amitzur

Origami in Hong Kong

Post by amitzur »

Hi everyone,
I'm an Israeli folder, and this is the first time i'm writing in this forum. I've been reading it for some time but didn't have the guts to write.. :)
My family is travelling in Hong Kong these days, and I want them to buy me some origami stuff (papers, books) as I think it's more redundant in HK than in Israel.
Do you know any good stored that have interesting things for the enthusiastic folder ? I'm mostly interested in Japanese foil, Washi, and of course books...
I also tried to stumble on the HK origami society website but only found empty links...
thanks,
Amit
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Welcome to the forum! Image
I am sorry, but I can't help you to find these things. Did you try google? there are sometimes paper shops with websites, and that might also help you to find the HK origami society homepage :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
HankSimon
Buddha

Hong Kong Origami Society

Post by HankSimon »

I did a quick search, used the Google translation tools, and found these email addresses:

E-mail : jansonchowNOSPAM@yahoo.com.hk
dvcwchanNOSPAM@netvigator.com
jackychan_hfNOSPAM@sinaman.com

You might send them the email request for Origami stores in Hong Kong.

1. Remove the word, "NOSPAM" from the addresses.
2. There is always the possibility that they don't speak English,
although I've found that many bilingual folks speak it better
than natives. (Texan is English, isn't it ? :-)
3. I could not actually find the working Hong Kong Origami site,
but I just went through one pass.

Hope that Helps,

- Hank Simon
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

:lol: Texan is english, with a funny accent.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
amitzur

Post by amitzur »

thanks for your help and good will.
I've found the HK origami society and contacted David Chan, who is their head.
I sent my parents their, and they found the place and met him and bought me Tanteidan convention vol. 10 , Works of Seiji Nishikawa, and Issei Yoshino's book, plus some nice (i hope - i gave them directions but who knows what they will bring..) papers.
They're coming back tomorrow, I can't wait !!
HankSimon
Buddha

Hong Kong Books

Post by HankSimon »

Ya'll got some purty good books.

I bought Tanteidan convention vol. 10 for Brill's cat. I'm still working on perfecting it. But this book also has Eric Joisel's famous Rat, and Michael LaFosse's remarkable cardinal.

Don't know if you have red cardinals in Israel... or if you follow US Baseball (St. Louis Cardinals), if not, this model might not mean as much. Regardless, I'm confident that you'll have many months of enjoyment.

I also have Works of Seiji Nishikawa, which I bought for the poodle (for a girl friend). I haven't gone all the way through the models, but I like the Hawk on the rock, the Horse, and the Tiger. The tiger took me many tries to get it just right.... so that it was good enough that someone hinted that they wanted it for a gift !

Please post pictures after you fold the models (and before you give them away as gifts !

- Hank Simon