Any recomendations

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
platypusguy

Any recomendations

Post by platypusguy »

I am planning to enter a childrens competion for origami usa. It is a worldwide competition and I won last year, I plan to win again but cannot think of anything to design or make. Do you have any ideas for things that I can make to show of my skills?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well, I'd suggest making a scene out of one piece of paper. For instance (since I've been making a lot of man variations lately) you could make men (or women, for that matter) playing a sport like basket ball or soccer or something else. Just a suggestion, that I'll probablt try some time.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
halogen64

Post by halogen64 »

I do not know how skilled the folders of the children's competitions are but a true test of folding skill seems to be deemed by models of the following:

Samurai Helmet Beetle
Hermit Crab
Fiddler Crab

I myself am a fan of grasshoppers and cicada (nymph and adult stage)

If you are looking for something easier, you could try various species of birds. Owls are usually a good approach because you can create a lot of character with the fold. I would suggest determining what your favorite models are and get inspiration from them.
platypusguy

Post by platypusguy »

ok I am looking for something hypercomplex
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

It depends on what you mean by skill. I think something intermediate to complex folded well or a simple pureland model designed by yourself would be just as good as folding a work by Kamiya, etc. I'm not sure what they do when someone has folded the exact same model as someone else, and they do always like self-designs. The important thing is that the soul of the paper is expressed, not just how many times you can fold it. I believe the entry needs to be there by the 31st, so you don't have much time left.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

An average porcupine has 30,000 spines.

Complex enough for you?
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

you'll probably have a favourite among the models you use to fold? i would take the instruction for it and try to interprete it as personal as possible. as cupcake has already suggested, a paper scenery would be a good choice, too ...