Are there any women out there?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Dioniso

Post by Dioniso »

In italian the sheet is "il foglio" male...
Dioniso
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

In German sheet (Blatt) is also neuter.
Paper = Papier
Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM

Women Origami Folders

Post by Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM »

Last time I looked I was female :)

I've been practising this craft for about three years and designing for the past year. I'm especially interested in containers.

My current interest is designing boxes and containers made from printer paper (A4 and American Letter size). I haven't shared any yet as I find the diagramming problem insurmountable. I just cannot draw the difficult bits in recognisable 3D. All suggestions gratefully accepted.
Rosemary Lyndall Wemm
Friet

Post by Friet »

I'm a guy and I like folding dragons to express my giant manlyness! haha! No I just like folding living things :)

by the way, Rosemary, you could try taking a picture. Then drawing lines on top of the picture, and removing the picture afterwards. You'd need a photo editing program for it though. Something like Adobe Photoshop or something. (or you could use a real picture and draw the lines on transparant paper)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Friet wrote:No I just like folding living things :)
Eeewwww. Ain't that just a bit too cruel? Do the living things mind being folded? How do you avoid getting bitten? :D

As for diagramming? Get a good vector graphics program and practice, practice, practice.
esato

Post by esato »

In portuguese paper is "o papel", which is male.
Sheet is "a folha" which is female, just as in french.
sandy5280

Women and Girls?

Post by sandy5280 »

When I described myself in my introduction, I forgot to mention that I am a 66 year-old woman. I am curious about whether there are many girls and women on this Forum.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Are there any women out there?

Post by origami_8 »

I moved your post into an existing topic. There is a second similar topic as well: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2174
sandy5280

Post by sandy5280 »

I just joined recently, and I am a woman.

Sandy
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

I'm female :-) I suppose, reading the earlier replies on the topic that your question has been added onto Sandy, 'technical' complex origami steps into science and maths, which has typically been the pursuit of guys. I took up origami as something to try as I'm virtually housebound through illness and unable to do much/concentrate for long. I knew nothing of the world beyond quite simple models until I started reading more online (i wanted to make more life like animals more than anything else!). At the moment the maths behind it, crease patterns, the stuff that takes a lot of thought, are a bit more than I can cope with I think, but I hope to learn more and improve, and as I get better I'll be able to tackle more - I want to (also, trying harder models helps me increase my mental stamina). I should perhaps add that I'm a scientist (chemistry PhD) and love climbing and camping etc, so have never particularly been drawn to 'feminine' pursuits.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Some of our most accomplished folders are women. One active folder has a Ph.D. in advanced math topics and works for Google. Many folders have read Lang's Origami Design Secrets, which helped them with the technical aspects. And, we have lots of folders who are under 20 years old, and can design.

There are also many chemists onboard. Related, Robert Lang one of the current Origami grand masters, is a Ph.D. Laser Physicist. Depending on your speciality, you may enjoy the Group Theory and Symmetry aspects of many origami styles. And there are many styles, ranging from mathematical precision to organic shaping, with many shades in between.

Like everything else, it's all practice and experience. I suggest that you look at models that you like, which you think you might want to try. Find the diagrams, mutilate some paper, and struggle through the model (asking for help), or set the tortured paper aside, and try another model. Some models are intermediate in skill level, but they have a twist, technique, or a difficult instruction path that you've never seen. So, you might try other models that will help you build the needed tools and techniques. Not all difficult models are worth the effort, and many older, simple models are quite elegant...
rgieseking

Post by rgieseking »

@Cat.

I'm also a female chemist (PhD in progress) - great to meet another one here!
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Hello! :-) Hope it's going well. I was glad to see the end of mine; took a full year to get it written up (I had oodles of data to try make sense of at the same time, did a lot of this [-o< ), but it was worth it in the end, if just to occasionally to be able to respond with "it's Dr actually" when someone rude or patronising asks "is that Miss or Mrs?". I don't do it often, I'm not exactly a showy off person, but sometimes it's rather nice... :D
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Hi Cat.
Where about do you climb?
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

whenever I see a girl, I always tell them how much I wish I had their hands... girls hands just seem so much more useful for folding... I guess that came out a bit creepy