Graduation cap

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
happyfolder

Graduation cap

Post by happyfolder »

Hi everyone, hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I want to make a graduation cap (mortarboard?) out of a $100 dollar bill, as a graduation present for my nephew. Has anyone done this before? Would greatly appreciate any links to tutorials on how to do this.

TQ, HappyFolder
JVega

Post by JVega »

"Keep On Folding!!"

happyfolder

Post by happyfolder »

Hi JVega, thanks for this! I like the designs on your flickr site, you should write a book on your dollar origami designs, I'll bet there's a demand for this! I like the throne especially :) How do you create the string-thing on the graduation cap? Any ideas?

TQ, HappyFolder
JVega

Post by JVega »

Hi, happyfolder, thank you very much for your kind words, but that flickr site is not mine :P

I just searched on the internet to see if i could help you... The thing about the stripe on the cap is the same that I wonder, because is an important part on it...

Maybe you can find more origami graduation caps somewhere on the Internet.

Good luck!!

PS: I think that your nephew will be very happy with the 100$ bill, but the problem is that he can't spend that :D
"Keep On Folding!!"

Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

HI-I designed that graduation cap. I am glad you like my designs. I chose not to add the tassel because of the design complications it would cause. It would be impossible to add the tassel without having extra layers running across the top of the hat, and I wanted a cleaner looking top of the hat. Sy Chen designed one with a tassel, but like I said there is a layer of paper running along the top. Nevertheless, it is a good model and may be what you are looking for. I believe he taught it at the '07 OUSA convention, but I don't know if there are diagrams anywhere. Good luck!
happyfolder

Post by happyfolder »

Hi JVega, Thanks for your kind help. Aah... knowing nephews he'll spend the $100 faster than a blink of the eye! ;P If I find anything new on this, will post it here.

Cheers, HappyFolder
happyfolder

Post by happyfolder »

Hi Jonny, sorry for the mix-up! I think the tassel part is kind of important for a graduation cap. Have tried looking for the diagram you mentioned but with no luck. Your designs rock, so good luck and hope to see your book sometime! :D

Cheers, HappyFolder
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Here is more information on Sy Chen's mortarboard model:
http://st123.startlogic.com/~freedomi/S ... _fold.html
It says that it's diagrammed in OrigamiUSA's 2003 Origami Collection.

Hope this helps!
happyfolder

Post by happyfolder »

Thanks Mike, trying to get a copy of it.

Cheers, HappyFolder
happyfolder

Post by happyfolder »

Here's my maiden attempt at making an original graduation cap from a 100 dollar bill sized rectangle.

[img]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2299/gradcapur5.jpg[/img]

Not the best, I know! Trying to get Sy Chen's diagram. Maybe I should just buy the OrigamiUSA book for my nephew instead, and get him to teach me this! LOL

Cheers, HF
GrizMom

Post by GrizMom »

Hi all ~
I'm new here. I'm also trying to create the mortarboard for graduation money. I'm also brand new at the origami folding. I see you are looking for a diagram for making the mortarboard with the tassel. After searching and searching, I did find a site that has the instructions for it.

http://dancingwithdaisy.blogspot.com/20 ... signs.html

There is a picture of it completed in currency. However, in the instructions, it looks like they are using a square piece of paper, but later then in rectangle. If anyone figures this out, would you be so kind as to share some of the origami terminology they use so I can figure this out? I was hoping to find a video but no luck. I do better learning by being shown then following instructions like that. Yep, I need the kindergarten version of how to do this! I hope these instructions help those of you that were looking for them. In turn, I hope someone will be so kind as to help me also.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

This model actually is folded from a square. On Gerwin's homepage you can find an introduction to the most commonly used folding symbols:
http://www.scarygami.net/basics.php?lang=1&style=1
This should help you get started. Try to fold as far as you can come and if you have problems write again and try to be as precise as possible in where your problems are (step number and description of the problem). In Origami it is always learning by doing, just try if it works and most often it will do.
GrizMom

Post by GrizMom »

Thanks Anna ~
I thought it was a square also but being that it was shown directly after the currency mortarboard, I thought maybe someone's drawing was just off! I checked out that site, thank you! I can't seem to print it but will try again later. I appreciate you writing back. You probably think it silly that I'm brand new at this and then wanting to create something in origami that is difficult! (That's me...don't start out slow....go for the difficult and get frustrated! haha.) The mortarboard is probably easy for you. I may try the other mortarboard instructions given above (w/o the tassel). Have you tried that one? I think the money folds are so fun and I really want to learn them...by this weekend, of course! :0) How fun for graduation, tips, etc. Thank you for offering to help me in the future too!

Lori
Montana, USA
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

We all began once. The Mortarboard may seem complicated but it consists mainly on basic folding manoeuvres. Maybe it helps you to fold a traditional crane first to get used to them. You can find a set of instructions for example on Gerwin's site too and there are many videos on YouTube that show you how to do it. For example this one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nZvpQI ... re=related
Good luck!
Teljkon

Re: Graduation cap

Post by Teljkon »

So I really want to learn to fold this i want to use it for a photo shoot. I dont neccesarily have to use a bill i just want to make little origami graduation caps. Any one suggest a source for better instructions the only ones that work for me are the ones from flicker and those instructions did not work very good for a NOOB like me.