Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Carsen

Re: Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

Post by Carsen »

Does anyone know of a good model that can be easily memorized and folded from a standard piece of printer paper to impress/give to others? It'd be cool to be able to fold something relatively quickly to show off the beauty and complexity of origami.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Tear it into a square and then fold it into a:

Flapping Bird or
Jumping Frog or
Water Balloon or
Gift Box

My vote is always for the flapping bird, if people are watching...

You might also learn some Dollar Bill Origami...
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

This flapping bird (quite similar to Samuel Randlett's) is great too, and quicker to fold than the traditional one (if time is of importance). And its flapping motion is much more dynamic too!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I have a pretty quick-to-fold fractal flower design that I might be able to diagram. It's complex but fairly easy if you're good with unsinks.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

My average reaction is "Wow, that's amazing!" or "You're really good". But what bugs me is that most people appreciate simple models over complex ones. Apparently it is a "Brilliant job" to fold a crane, but just "good" when folding Nguyen Hung Cuong's eagle. I have also given some origami to a few of my teachers. My science teacher likes them a lot also, occasionally (with my permission) picking up one, if it has wings, and says he is teaching it to fly. Because me and a friend started an origami club at school, we have converted about 5 or so people. Once i folded a fiery dragon under my desk during English and showed my teacher afterwards. She said it was great (she didn't realise I folded it during her lesson). :lol:
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

To paraphrase a very old story by Parkinson [See: Parkinson's Laws], if you tell someone that you're a nuclear physicist, they don't say much, but if you tell them that you build houses, they're more comfortable with the conversation... :-)
JWorigamist

Post by JWorigamist »

Most people react to my origami with a, "Wow!, That is so amazing!" Or sometimes a, "Cool!" Once Someone's reaction was, "Quit showing off!" I never brag about my origami models I just show them. Heck what was even weirder was the model where I got the quit-showing-off reaction from was a traditional origami pop star.
Ouch! Are you okay? Well...let's see.. advanced box-pleating techniques, Satoshi Kamiya, yeah I'm good. If you fall down nine times get up ten times.
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

When They see it, they usually tell me I'm obsessed or they ask me to fold them one.
Origami is truly elegant.

Email me at hgss649@gmail.com
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Strangers like it. The family is more of a "That's cool, but you need to get a life" kind of reaction...
I guess my family was more impressed 15 years ago when I was a 10 year old folding animals from candy wrappers XD
Maybe if I fold them a ryujin 3.5....
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

A couple days ago I told someone I did origami. She said, "Oh, so you can make those little swans and stuff?" I told her I can do a lot more than that.
I wasn't able to show her any of my models at that time, but I will if/when I get the chance.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
BlueFireOrigami

Post by BlueFireOrigami »

It annoys me how many people say 'How did you do that'. I then reply with the sequence of steps and they just usually walk off in a huff. Also, non-folders also seem to be amazed by my models but origami experts just give (constructive) criticism.
For free internet diagrams for Satoshi Kamiya's Ancient Dragon,
click the link: http://goo.gl/Y8SxM
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Blue -> A good response to that (at least by my judgment) is "I just fold a sheet of paper for a few hours." That usually catches people off guard, and it's funny to see their reactions.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr