Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Carsen

Re: Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

Post by Carsen »

My English teacher writes vocabulary tests with fill in the blank sentences and sometimes includes students' names and maybe something that they do. Last week one of the questions actually said something about my doing origami. :D
bibi24

Post by bibi24 »

I sometimes take my origami out to restaurants to fold (not the best manners but good use of time while waiting for food).

One time at a French restaurant, the waitress was socializing and asked, "Do you know how to fold a crane?".

Another time our a man from our neighbor table was very humble, and complimented on our new kawasaki flowers. Then we talked, turns out he belongs to the HK Origami Club, and he is buddies with Kade Chan. (well this second one wasn't a non-folders' reaction, but was a very pleasant encounter)
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

My teacher saw the magic ball i was making and demanded that i show the class how to make it.
Like i mentioned before i taught one if my friends how to make it and it took him ages. So i taught the class how to do the traditional Swan and they struggled to learn that. Now i dont know how to tell them it would be too difficult for them to fold the Magic Ball, Please help, i need suggestions.
franz

Post by franz »

tell them something like:

it has taken me ages to reach this skill-level of origami. I´ll show you how to make this magic ball - look carefully how I do it. for those interested: here is some information: first of all the basic folds used in origami. then you do have here the diagrams for some traditional models. (of course you do have copied handouts for the class). If you are skilled, origami is enabling you to create the most astonishing models (show them some of your complex models you have folded (for example some beetles, the nazgul, a pegasus, kawasaki´s rose ... something like that)). I want to encourage you to start with simple models - anyone interested in the art origami is welcome: here are some very useful links, too.

something like that.
franz
Trakthor

Post by Trakthor »

chesscuber98 wrote:My teacher saw the magic ball i was making and demanded that i show the class how to make it.
Like i mentioned before i taught one if my friends how to make it and it took him ages. So i taught the class how to do the traditional Swan and they struggled to learn that. Now i dont know how to tell them it would be too difficult for them to fold the Magic Ball, Please help, i need suggestions.
Bring a large sheet of paper and write on it the Youtube adress for this video :D done ;)

chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Franz, Nice tips, could try it but they are not patient, they want to skip through so many complexity levels straight to High Intermediate when they cant do even the simplest of models. I would love to inspire so many to begin making origami but they are far too impatient.
Trakhtor, Not sure if my teacher would like that. She ants me to teach it, ( sort of like a test)
franz

Post by franz »

we have had a party in our company, inviting all the colleagues of the departments which are supporting us. we´ve had different "activity places" for the colleagues: one of them was "origami with franz": I´ve folded some easy models of different sizes in different colours before (penguin, swan, crane, puppy, ...), had copies of the basic folds and the traditional models. and I´ve had some impressive models with me, folded from 100 cm x 100 cm, like nazgul, hippogriff, some beetles, the fluffy). some of the colleagues told me that they want to fold for example the nazgul. I told them to begin with an easier model, because the complex models take years of experience and some hours of folding.

you simply have to practise a lot - this is something your teacher should understand: she also teaches something to the pupils, and they have to practise to learn this (for example: my daughter learns to read at the moment - and she has to practise, too ...). make the suggestion to your teacher that you will teach the class how to fold an easier model - because knowing how to fold easier models is the basis for folding complex ones. my daughter also starts reading easy sentences and stories, not douglas adams, tom clancy, dan brown, ...
franz
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

franz wrote:we have had a party in our company, inviting all the colleagues of the departments which are supporting us. we´ve had different "activity places" for the colleagues: one of them was "origami with franz": I´ve folded some easy models of different sizes in different colours before (penguin, swan, crane, puppy, ...), had copies of the basic folds and the traditional models. and I´ve had some impressive models with me, folded from 100 cm x 100 cm, like nazgul, hippogriff, some beetles, the fluffy). some of the colleagues told me that they want to fold for example the nazgul. I told them to begin with an easier model, because the complex models take years of experience and some hours of folding.

you simply have to practise a lot - this is something your teacher should understand: she also teaches something to the pupils, and they have to practise to learn this (for example: my daughter learns to read at the moment - and she has to practise, too ...). make the suggestion to your teacher that you will teach the class how to fold an easier model - because knowing how to fold easier models is the basis for folding complex ones. my daughter also starts reading easy sentences and stories, not douglas adams, tom clancy, dan brown, ...

Haha can I ask what is the "the fluffy?"
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
Langko

Post by Langko »

The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
franz

Post by franz »

correct - one of my favourite models :-)
franz
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

When I met a teacher again some ten years after I finished high school, he told me that he still has all the models he got from me in a glass cabinet at home.

It also gives me a smile every time I come back to places where I left models lying around a long time ago when I see them displayed in a prominent spot like f.e. on the worktable of an office member.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

chesscuber98 wrote:Franz, Nice tips, could try it but they are not patient, they want to skip through so many complexity levels straight to High Intermediate when they cant do even the simplest of models. I would love to inspire so many to begin making origami but they are far too impatient.
Trakhtor, Not sure if my teacher would like that. She ants me to teach it, ( sort of like a test)
I have a friend who managed to get a complete beginner to do made chan's first dragon. It is possible if you take ages with tremendous patience and determination. I'm not sure you'd have that from a whole class though.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
Langko

Post by Langko »

I agree, it is hard but not impossible...

During school, a friend of mine that is a complete beginner asked me if i could teach him this model...
...because he liked the way it transformed. About 4 periods later he managed to learn it :D

the link for that pic as it is not mine: http://neferush.deviantart.com/art/Magi ... -179661936
all credit goes to the owner of that picture :)
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
franz

Post by franz »

@harpseal:
I agree: I´m pretty sure a whole class wouldn´t have the patience. therefore I think it might be better to show them how to fold a simple model (chesscuber98 should fold, all the others should look).

well: and if the class would have the patience, I think that I would lose my patience at some point, if let´s say 20 people with no origami-experience should follow my instructions ;-)
franz
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

Practically nobody except my parents actually see my origami. Some of my friends have been on my gallery, and they were impressed, with the usual "how did you do that", but apart from 2-3 people, nobody but me and the other users of this forum see my work.