Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Eamon

Re: Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

Post by Eamon »

Most people like my origami, but my sister always says:Anyone can crumple trees ,Eamon. You're not that amazing.
My flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93038503@N06/
My forum gallery. http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11416
Constructive criticism is appreciated as well as encouraged.
Th3ory

Post by Th3ory »

Almost everyone I know told me" You must be bored " or " You're wasting your time "
I think for all origamists negative atitude to this kind of art is really annoying...
Flickr Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55759463@N07/
My real name: Filip Mazur :)
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

They dont really consider it an art because they think anyone can do it. Which is true if you are really motivated, but when someone calls it childish or easy it just put you off.
PennyDragons

Post by PennyDragons »

All of my friends at school are used to it by now and rarely say anything unless it's a really complicated model. Every once and a while, someone asks me whether I'm still obsessed with origami. Almost everybody I meet likes my origami, but I have had teachers take away a model that is on my desk because it's "distracting" (everyone else in the class is used to it, but they still get distracted!) The main reaction I get is "How did you do that?" My reply to this is holding up my hands and wiggling my fingers.
myself

Post by myself »

When I told some people at school that my hobby is origami, they all said it's boring, but I didn't care.
Since I folded a rose during a lunch break they all suddenly liked it. Beside that, I never get negative reactions and when I was 10, someone even let me have an exposition.
Fooltech

Post by Fooltech »

My Origami crab has been on display in my office for a year and it's starting to look worn out from all the people picking it up and looking at it. People are usually impressed and say you're obviously wasting your time in IT, although i'm no where near good enough to make ends meat from folding
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

usally i impress people with my origami but its hard sometime because theyre people who origami in my class but not as complex as what as i do (still iam crappy at origami). like at now time i was folding in class my teacher got pissed and he snatched it out of my hand trust me i had an a in his class (my logic was long as i pass in your class theres nothing to say bad about me) that was my only negative thing about me folding. well when i ever like a girl i usally fold them their favorite animal but i never tell any one my secrets and they find out that i like them they through it away. hahahahah i still fold regardless of people think. so i think i get a lot of negative thoughts on thing that i do with complaments.
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
gamag

Post by gamag »

Maybe you should have told your teacher, that folding helps you to concentrate on his lessons (which is true if you don't fold to complex things and the lessons is boring, so you would fall asleep if you weren't folding).

I fold all the time when I'm at school, and nobody complained until now. Some teachers like my models, others ignore them.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well some years ago I had a teacher very politely ask me to stop folding during his lessons not because he believed it would distract me but because it distracted and irritated him knowing I'm folding something below the table, even though I would always try to do it as inconspicuously and silently as possible.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

naughty boys/girls! My teacher would simply kill me if i fold something while he is teaching.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

EVERYONE loves my models! Even my teachers! And the principal! Except my brother... He likes it but not that much.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

i don't know why people around me hate origami!
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

For me it's the same. People say that I waste time and paper for a childish activity that's totally useless.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

I don't know why they hate origami! It's one of the most beautiful art there is! You can fold paper and give it life to everything you can imagine! And they hate it!
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
ShepherdofShark

Post by ShepherdofShark »

I almost had enough time to fold a deer from a 5 pound note in the time it took me to get served for a drink at the cinema last night. It was all legs and no defined antlers by the time I handed it over.

I didn't get a response just a bemused look, at which point I unfolded it and said "I got bored in the queue".

At work I get the usual stuff "You have too much time on your hands", "Can you make me a ????", and "I don't have the patience".