Origami Class

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
M Deutsch

Origami Class

Post by M Deutsch »

Hello there! My name is Matthew and as part of a service project for school i'm going to teach an origami class at the old elementary school I went to 10 years ago! I'm really excited and I have some ideas but I wanted to ask these great forums for some more inspiration.

The students will most likely be about 8-11 years old so i'm not going to teach them about box pleating, circle packing, molecules or anything crazy. I think that 3-4 simple models would be fun. Some of my ideas include:

The Samurai Helmet
The Traditional Crane
The Penguin by Frantisek Grebenicek
The Paul jackson variant on Sam Randlett's Flapping Bird (My favorite simple model)
And maybe a jumping frog or something.

If you have any ideas or advice or comments I would love the input.

Thanks!
- Matthew
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I think that'll do very nicely. It's always better to shoot lower than higher when it comes to teaching origami, haha.
Give a quick tutorial about the importance of folding with accuracy, keeping an eye reference points, and WAITING TILL YOU'RE DONE EXPLAINING/DEMONSTRATING BEFORE TRYING THE UPCOMING STEP!
Good luck, I hope all goes well!
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

You will surely have great success!
Children are alwasys fascinated by origami. I and a friend of mine usually do some "summer" folding lesson on the beach during holyday, and all the children are very enthusiastic.

I can suggest you to come in class with the model already done, and put it on the teacher desk as "the target of the day", then as M Deutsch has alredy told you, you do one step and then let the children to do the same.

Try also not using a too technical language during explanations such as median, perpendicular, or somthing like this, so they can feel your origami lesson much more as an amusement.

I also found that associate the intermediate step to something is usefull to allow children to remember what they've done.
I mean, if the folded sheet on certain step has a shape similar to, for example, a boat, a pencil, or hwatever it is, make them notice it.
They better fix this step in their mind.

I think that your model selection is good.
But I'd start in exacly the reverse order.

It will be not simple, but it will surely be a wonderfull experience :wink:
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Have two or three models as back-up, but plan on only one model per 30 -60 min. lesson. Also, it will help significantly if you could have two or three adult helpers to guide the kids who can't even fold a paper airplane.

You might also have a few near-finished models to give to kids who get frustrated to the point of tears.

Let us know what happens.

Good Luck.

- Hank Simon
lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 »

I usually include a box to hold their other origami models they make and and interesting action toy depending on age.

Depending on what festival is coming, I might include a model representing that too.
:D
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

What ever you do, ALWAYS teach from diagrams. memory just doesn't cut it, it's too easy to get lost and make mistakes. Even for traditional models.
malachi

Post by malachi »

I would agree with both the comments supporting your model selection and with providing diagrams. For any beginner who is interested in learning more origami, the most important skill is understanding how to read diagrams, since books/diagrams are easier to find than lessons.

I've taught a lot of origami classes, mostly for children of various ages. I find the that number of models that can be taught in a given span of time is highly dependent on the number of participants and, to a lesser extent, their aptitude. I prefer groups of 12 or less and I like to have the tables set up in a U shape so I can stand in the middle to teach and demonstrate and have easy access to monitor and help students as needed.

For children, I usually teach the jumping frog first with a pack of multicolored index cards. Since it's a really simple model, it gives everyone a sense of accomplishment to start with, and everyone likes the jumping frog (or any action model, really, but the frog is one of the simplest).

I usually try to follow that with the crane, since it is the iconic origami model. I provide a copy of the traditional models diagrams from origami.com which not only has the crane but also several other basic models that they can try later.

Another model I sometimes teach beginners is the blackboard bomber (from Wings and Things: Origami That Flies). It is a simple airplane made from a letter sized sheet of paper. It is the best simple glider I know of.

If I am teaching modular origami, I usually teach a simple version of the Sonobe module. With enough time I will try to get students to make 12 units each so they can make a stellated octahedron. With less time I will just have them do 6 to make the cube (or, in a pinch, 3), and just explain how the same unit can be used to make larger objects.

Other simple models I like to teach include the waterbomb and the masu box.

I like to make sure every student gets a copy of the instructions and a small stack of origami paper to practice with. When I teach origami, my objective is to inspire the students so they are interested enough to try it, and give them the confidence and the tools to pursue it further if they want to. I usually show the class some more complicated models just to give them an idea of the depth and range of origami. Spring Into Action is always popular, as are Jeremy Shafer's Flashers and Flasher Hat.

Someone always asks where they can get paper, so mentioning options and/or providing a list of local and online sources is a good idea. A few times I have gone so far as to provide a list of online resources for diagrams and a list of good books available through the local library.
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

I always start my sessions with the Tumbling Toy/ Kotong Kong. It has a very wide appeal and everyone enjoys it.

Newspaper hats are also a big hit with children if you have enough folding space.

Instead of Masu I find the simpler tray much more effective. Children usually have trouble with the 3D step in the Masu box.

Also, giving out diagrams intimidates absolute beginners. I venture into explaining diagram concepts if it's at least a 2 hour session and we can cover the diagram concepts in a spaced out manner.
M Deutsch

Post by M Deutsch »

Thanks for the great advice! :D

You all have been very helpful! I will tell you how it goes after.

If there is anymore advice I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks again!
- Matthew
origami street racer

Post by origami street racer »

I taught a class at my towns public libary the students were about that age and the model I taught them was Lang's Flying Fighter.
R.I.P Paul Grey 1972-2010
Slipkont
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Nice.
I have another folding suggestion, Matthew.
Stegosaurus!
You should make a big fuss about it being the hardest model they (the kids in your class) will ever fold.
That would be pretty funny. :wink:
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Teach them my one fold butterfly!
Start with a rectangle, any scale, as long as it isn't too long. Fold along the diagonal.
Depending on how old they are, they would probably start throwing crap at you by now. RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

One Fold Models Galore!!!! =D>
Sort of.
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
M Deutsch

Post by M Deutsch »

I was thinking that the one-fold elephant would work well :D

I could teach 3 models in 3 folds! That would be great... *cough* :)
- Matthew