Getting in contact :)

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
dani luddington

Getting in contact :)

Post by dani luddington »

deleted
Last edited by dani luddington on October 26th, 2005, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Dani,

OOO! I know what you can do. How good are your complex origamis? The reason I am asking that question is, you are introducing a new art/culture to the people, and at this stage of the game they will be viciously critical, so a great presentation is imperative.

Take some origami paper and go to the library and get you a few origami books with diagrams. No, you do not need to check them out. Sit at a table were there will be traffic coming through, and just start folding origami projects from the book.

Meanwhile, you will take 2 Simple origami models, 2 Intermediate origami models, and 2 Complex origami models to the library with you. While you are folding the origami from the book(s) in the library, you are to display the origami models that you brought with you.

The problem is nobody is willing to cooperate with you. It may be they have no understanding of what origami is, or they have a limited understanding what origami is. The only origami they may have seen, is something their child did in the first grade, which he got a low grade on. With that in mind what is there about the art to impress them.

That is what the scene in the library will be for. You are advertising. People need to see there is more to this art than something you fold and then throw away. It has great potential to be more than that. When you are in a small town, full of small minded people, you have to draw them a picture. Only in this case you are going to fold one.

I am not promising that you will walk out of there with enough people to start a class. However, you may get enough peoples attention that the librarian may reconsider letting you teach a class on it. Another possibility is that enough people may be interested for you to start a group of some kind, or at the very least, it may give you a better idea as to were to focus your attention on making this idea happen.

Nevertheless, it has the potential for a great starting point. I hope this helps you in some way. :D
dani luddington

deleted
Last edited by dani luddington on October 26th, 2005, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Dani,

I also want to point out that if you embarrass real easy, like I do, you are not going there to make a scene. Your just going under the pretence of just being like everybody else in there who just happens to be doing origami.

You don't need to sit there folding paper while saying, "Origami classes tomorrow. Come one, come all."

This is just a showing to open people's eyes and nothing more. From there you can use that exposure to decide what to do next.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Well, if you're feeling up to it, apply to be a vendor at a local craft fair.

There's usually a minimal fee involved in the stall rental, it depends on the type of the fair, and often the school/church ones are cheaper than the county fairs. Anyhow, you'll have to do some preparation work beforehand making stuff for sale(eg simple cards, bookmarks, photoframes, with traditional folds, made from fancy paper or even cloth). And you'll have to be folding pretty much the whole day at the stall itself. The plus side of this is since people often attend craft fairs to <i>watch</i> the crafters work, you'll definitely be getting their attention, at which point you can advertise for classes or clubs or whatever.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I've splitted these entries from another thread, because they were too off-topic.
please, if you have something new to tell, USE A NEW THREAD.

thanks

Christian
dani luddington

deleted