Elefantenhaut

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
FunkeeFolder

Elefantenhaut

Post by FunkeeFolder »

Hey I think I'm going to get some of the Elefantenhaut paper, but it comes in two types Indian and African. (First before I continue what does gsm stand for? And am I right in saying it means the thickness of the paper like 190 gsm is pretty thick and 20 gsm is really thin?)
Indian is 110 gsm and African ranges from 110 to 190 gsm. Does anyone know if it's the gsm that makes them different or is it there texture and folding attributes that makes them different? It doesn't have pictures (here's the sites
Indian Elefantenhaut
African Elefantenhaut ) so I can't look at them. :( There probably is nothing different about the two kinds of papers just me being weird! :lol:

Funkee Folder
You can make one of those swan thingys! Wow!
-----------------------
Quote from one of the many people who mistook a crane for a swan. Don't you just love em'!
malachi

Post by malachi »

gsm is grams per square meter and is the rational way that most of the rest of the world measures paper weight.

Check out the grammage section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Get the Indian. The African will be too heavy to fold.
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

Thank you both! I now have to find a retailer for the paper! That's going to be fun! :lol: Oh I know this is off topic but I am right now writing something up that has all the paper usable for origami (this is just a weird thing I want to do!) So I'm going to look at the topic on peoples favorite papers but if you have some papers you know of please post em'! Oh and if there has allready been a topic on this please point me towards it. :D

Funkee Folder
You can make one of those swan thingys! Wow!
-----------------------
Quote from one of the many people who mistook a crane for a swan. Don't you just love em'!
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Oh, and remember that most stores in the USA & Canada carry marble distributed by Wyndstone. It's actually elefantenhaut by Zanders, but sold under a different name. (Another example of why I say not to get hung up on paper names...they get changed all the time.)
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

In the UK, shops supplied by the company Artoz sell Elefantenhaut under the name "Rustik".

(Paperchase stores, on the other hand, sell it as elephant hide.)

The Artoz stockist in Belfast (Bradbury Graphics) carries rustik, but only in A4 size. I asked if they could get some larger sheets, but apparently they would have to order a batch of at least 100... of the same colour. (If it hadn't been for the one colour part I probably would've got myself a lifetime supply of 50x70cm sheets.)
thut

Post by thut »

Does anyone know of an internet store which sells Elefantenhaut paper in long rolls, like what Robert Lang used for his clock on his website
http://langorigami.com/art/gallery/gall ... ?name=bfcc
Rick2478

Post by Rick2478 »

Yeah, that's something that I was wondering too. I tried the Cuckoo Clock from construction paper type stuff that is sold in huge sheets and I gave up after about three hours.
thut

Post by thut »

I've e-mailed Robert Lang about the paper for his clock.
His reply was:

"I bought 70x90 cm sheets from Steinmann's art supplies, located near the
Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof; cut two sheets in half the long way, then splice the
four strips them together as described in "Origami Design Secrets"."

Does anyone know if this place has a website?
malachi

Post by malachi »

Does anyone here know of a mail order source for Wyndstone marble paper that still has any of the discontinued colors (black, red, dark blue, grey, or hunter green)?
polop

Post by polop »

I cant find any were that distributes this paper :cry:
In the UK are there any shops that I can get it from?
Alternitively can someone piont me towards a website that distributes to the UK?
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Viereck Verlag in Germany sells A4 sheets in ten different colours. You have to buy at least ten sheets. Very nice if A4 is big enough for your purposes.
http://www.viereck-verlag.de/viereck_haupt.html

Scroll down to "Elefantenhaut" and click on "zum Inhalt" to see the colours.

Otherwise, look for "elephant hide" on Google. I just found a shop in Holland that also has a UK address:
http://www.kars.nl/uk/catalogus.php?act ... ubriek=16O

There must be many more.

P.S: Don't search for "elephant hides", otherwise you'll get lots of sites with jokes about where elephants hide.
polop

Post by polop »

thanks for that. but unfortunately my skills are limited to big paper
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

maybe somebody can buy it for you and send it to you? I know two people that have access to a pretty cheap Elefantenhaut (around 70x50cm a sheet). maybe I can ask for how much it would cost and they buy it for you? the shipping from germany to england shouldn't be that expensive. of course you need to pay them in advance and then they buy the paper with the money you sent them. would that be an option?
polop

Post by polop »

how much would a big sheet cost? I like that idea of yours. would it be possible to buy 1 or 2 sheets or would I have to buy at least * sheets?
Thanks for all of your help!