NOA instructor

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Elena

NOA instructor

Post by Elena »

Hi everybody!
I'm looking for more information about National Origami Association in Japan. Is someone of you a certificated instructor from NOA? Is it worth it if you want to teach people to do origami? I bought the book, but the models are very simple...I can't get the point?Is the "precision" they are looking for.... Please help here or in a personal message :) 10x in advance...
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I posed this question a long time ago. Essentially, the certification is for teaching at NOA conventions and events and that is about it. Of course, to those not "in the know", having such a certification can seem impressive to them and help out with getting a job, such as doing an origami class at a local library, etc. I digress though, what they are looking for are clear and precise folds.
Elena

Post by Elena »

... I couldn't find similar topic, that's why I posted mine.Thanks for your answer;) But do you have a certificate?
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Oh, I meant no offense or for you to "use the search function". I posed the question maybe 7 or 8 years ago, not even sure if it was on this forum or the origami mailing list.

I have not had much luck purchasing items from the NOA (it wasn't their fault, apparently japanese banks and internet shops have issues with debit cards and free internet based e-mail addresses), so I didn't pursue the certification.

Personally, if you want to teach origami, its best to learn from teachers. I learned alot from conventions by attending classes and watching the way the teachers taught models, but experience helps too. You could also watch Adams Sara http://www.youtube.com/user/AdamsSara , especially the way she teaches the bases and various moves.

Most people you teach that aren't already origami artists won't bother learning the terminology, so its best to use descriptive terms (such as fold behind instead of mountain fold). Its also good to think simple, moves such as petal folds or even reverse folds can cause snags in a class. One of the hardest things I've found in teaching, is when someone gets left behind or lost. You can either stop and help them, or continue without them and help after class (in conventions, the second option is more likely). There used to be a teaching tips section on the OUSA website, but I can't seem to find it. The old page is available at: http://web.archive.org/web/200702111329 ... g_tips.htm

Overall, the choice of model can be the most crucial for class interest and sucess. Action models such as the American Jumping Frog, or fun to fold models such as Sarah Wooden's Candy Cane, or classics such as the Yoshizawa Butterfly or my favorite, Robert Lang's Duck have been some of the most popular models I have taught, and with the least snags. The more people enjoy the class, the more likely you'll be invited back. Though, if you want to use non-traditional models and you're getting paid, its best to ask permission from the author.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

from what I can see, it's basically a way to keep the NOA in business-- you have to pay them like $100 to get your certificate, and also send small payments every few years to get it renewed.

It's certainly useful to have the book on hand when you're teaching beginners, though. All of the models are pretty good, and not too hard to teach.
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

That book was my first origami book. I learnt origami from it, so it is kind of nostalgic to me, especially now that it is falling apart and looks more "antique". I never actually tried to get the certificate though.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
syribia

Post by syribia »

I bought the book two weeks ago and I really liked it regardless of the simplicity of the models.

However, getting the certification costs almost $200 and it seems you also have to pay $180 for the membership if you are not a NOA member yet.

I cannot pay such a price right now... I think I'll become a non-certificated instructor... :roll:
aiiity

Re: NOA instructor

Post by aiiity »

I am NOA certified instructor ... it's always a good idea to show people you went an extra mile to
perfect your skills. If I had a choice between a certified instructor and not certified, I would pick the first one.