how did you start origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Origamist388

Post by Origamist388 »

You are so damn lucky to have a grade where everybody folds.I'm the only folder,and believe me it's hard! :(
Art is about creation. It is about self-expression. It is giving form to something within you.
-Joseph Wu
phoenyx
Location: A little town in the middle of nowhere where I can fold undisturbed... I'm not telling you where!

Post by phoenyx »

you are lucky.. there is a few in my grade but only one or 2 are any good
Take time to talk like a pirate today.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

im the only folder in my whole school!
this is how i started origami: well, i was bored one day and decided to try it out sometime in 2009. im always bored and the only thing i find fun indoors is origami and drawing. :-k
Metangas

Post by Metangas »

O.o A whole class folding origami and having competitions! o.O

Lucky, lucky you! I'm the only one I know who folds in my whole CITY!

... Well, I've heard rumours about a guy in the lower grades doing some stuff too, but only stuff like the waterbomb or the 2x1 rectangle jumping frog... (I have been secretly planning to lure him out and teach him some more complicated stuff :twisted: , just intermediate if that's his level now)

Well anyway, back to the topic, I started Origami a few years back, 3 or something like that, totally randomly when my friend found an origami book in the school library. It was interesting (albeit not quite good, sorry Aylal), and a simple, not that beautiful kangaroo got stuck in my mind. Let me just say, the cleaning ladies on my school knows me, almost personally, for as they say: "You make some of our work days different and fun".
ummm

Post by ummm »

Origamist388 wrote:You are so damn lucky to have a grade where everybody folds.I'm the only folder,and believe me it's hard! :(
i can imagine! :(
eat. sleep. origami.
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

Ten years ago, my 2nd grade art teacher taught us how to make the traditional origami crane. I was hooked. Then, in years following, I would after school, learning how to fold with her, all while watching good ol' spongebob. My first actual "model" was Peter's Octupus from Angelfish to Zen. At the time, I was blown away at what paper could be turned into.
Re
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Well I had an origami book I took out of the library with all the simple little 3-5 fold animals in it and my brothers and I would do it all the time.

So we tried making the origami crane but what happened was we couldn't figure out at all how to do the petal fold for the crane base. But then finally one of my brothers (the third youngest, which is still older than me) figured it out, taught me and I had memorized it.

I continued to fold the crane constantly in church using the bulletin and then I bought a collection of John Montroll books with different themes (wild animals, bugs and birds, and fish and sea creatures) and then I did a few of those and then I did online stuff and now here I am.

I'm the only good folder my art teacher has ever seen in all her years of teaching art at this high school. So I guess everyone who tried failed miserably because even then I'm not the greatest at all :P
RollerCoasterBug

Post by RollerCoasterBug »

That's interesting, Razzmatazz, I am not, however the only folder n my school, there is one other who is older than I am, but is in the same stage you were telling us about in your story. I think she might be a senior now in high school, I'm really not sure. I make sure she sees the better stuff to try to get her to want to advance. Hopefully she'll be one of us soon!
nosyrb
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Introduced at the age of four, couldn't read, so I just went by pictures. Bought three large books, went through them easily.
Now that I have the internet, I've got six, one from Victoria Serova, Satoshi Kamiya, and Nicolas. I bought lots of the paper, made a few from crease patterns, and now a lot of models crowed my already untidy desk.
I'm, so far as I know, the only folder in the area.
This little art form I've found is so scarce and so amazing to everybody, that I was just chosen to teach a small lesson and a few models at a groups meeting.
Seventeen now, and hopefully, I'll still be doing this and spending as much money on Origami as any other nerdy male does with WoW. ;P
Arabesque17

Post by Arabesque17 »

It was only a few years ago when I started making simple ones. Someone that I liked really loved making origami, so I decided to learn some simple ones to give him for a present, and then I realized how lame mine were compared to his. I decided to keep on practicing making them. :wink:
jogibaer

Post by jogibaer »

Looking "Prison Break" (very good) 3 months ago, I decided to fold the crane (it`s there called a crane but it is a swan). I managed it with Youtube introduction videos and saw that there are many more. So I start to fold them and switched 2 month ago to books.
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

Some of you are so lucky! I was the only one at my school who folded!! (more than just waterbombs, heart shaped notes, etc.) There is only one other folder that I have heard of in my county !! and that was through the county fair. Well, there may be more that haven't entered into the fair, but she is the only one I've heard of. But I do live in a small city that is sort of in the suburbs of Sacramento...

But I got started when my 8th grade math teacher taught the class a simple modular box. I really like it and since then have gone origami crazy!! Sometime last year (or the year before that), I came back and showed her all the stuff I made and she was astonished :D I also gave her a large 80? piece modular rhombicuboctohedron (try sying THAT three times fast) that was about two feet in diameter (or about 60 centimeters, for those non-U.S. people).
cesarogami

Post by cesarogami »

OOOOOOOOOOH MAN! i started my senior year in high school...i started folding Lillys for my girlfriend, back then she thought those were impressive but now i can fold a Kawasaki roses inside another Kawasaki rose.
*YAAAAAWN*
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

i started when i was in 5th grade because there was a girl in my class she folded the basics of origami i wanted to fold better than her so in 5th grade from a point i somehow started to fold sk's modles and every one in my class hated me for that and they wanted me too stop folding but i never stop for there i never stop folding i had to finish what i had started then i tried to stop because this hobby became to adicting so i thats how i came to this forum because i knew people would understand me
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

why did everyone hate you?
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!