Sex and origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

An interesting topic here, with some great folding! Mark, AFAIAC, the 'alien' faces look rather feminine, certainly, they look rather like an oriental female face.

A few comments:
*Part of my work involves Gender Reassignment facial surgery! Yup, ENT surgery isn't just tonsils. As a result, comparisons between male and female faces are made, an techniques to make a masculine face more feminine have to be employed. There are entire books on this subject, but some of the following may be helpful:
-The male nose is larger, has a more rounded tip, and has a more pronounced dorsal hump, ie the bridge bends outwards slightly. By flattening the nose, reducing the tip, and sometimes making the slope of the nose ever so slightly concave, the nose looks more feminine.
-The angle between the bottom of the nose and the lip is greater than 90 degrees in a feminine face, ie, the nose is turned upwards slightly.
-The chin is smaller, and protrudes less than the lips in the female
-The cheeks are flatter and cheekbones less pronounced in a female face
-Make up aims to make the eyes larger. In the overall face, the middle eyes should be just below the midline in the female form. There should be a greater distance between the top of the eyelid and the eyebrow, and the brow should be less prominent.

*In the origami models, I dont think colour changes work very well for faces scultured like these. For hair, maybe, but for lips, the use seems wrong.

*Long hair! The human brain is conditioned to associate female faces with long hair, so if the model can be given long hair, go for it!

Regards,
Stephen
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Stephen, thanks for the detailed analysis. It'll provide a lot of avenues for experimentation.

There's a handful of pretty detailed human figures, both male and female, on the Origami New Generation board:
http://loughmaker.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi ... gboard.cgi
It's been setup to prevent direct linking, so you'll need to copy the URL and open it in a new window.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

Hi Stephen. Thanks for your insight, and welcome to the board. (One of us is going to have to change avatars... )

All being well, I shall be doing a workshop on faces at the BOS convention in Leicester. It'll start with the oriental/alien face, and then (hopefully) progress from there. I'm hoping that the class will be able to teach me more than I teach them... Of course it's quite likely to wind up going nowhere, but we shall see.
EricGjerde

wow

Post by EricGjerde »

that japanese origami board is quite impressive, although there's something a little scary about seeing people folding rather accurate origami representations of Gothic Lolitas! Sometimes the subject matter of japanese folders leaves me very puzzled.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Those "gothic lolitas" are characters from the anime and manga series "Rozen Maiden", the second season is currently airing in Japan and seems to be rather popular. They are actually magic dolls which are alive (to put it in simple words, there's actually much more to it)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Addition - CPs for some of those dolls are now available here: http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/sakamata102/lst?.dir=/471c
Gerwin
saadya

more curves

Post by saadya »

Been quiet a while, but not completely inactive. With me its always two steps back for each one forward… Meaning, I’ve been sprucing up models designed or begun maybe fifteen years ago. Eg:
http://www.saadya.net/CHAOS/updated.jpg

Also been exploring curving textures (mostly my own ideas, with some inspiration from David Huffman). These don’t quite rank with the tessellations on Eric Gjerde’s fine site, but I’m curious about them nevertheless. Here’s a new one from this week:
http://www.saadya.net/Curvigami/textures.jpg

Of sculptural or human-related origami, very little new to show, let alone radically new. But here’s one thing:
http://www.saadya.net/Curvigami/Jar-of-Muses.jpg

S.
Last edited by saadya on March 10th, 2006, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricGjerde

Wow!

Post by EricGjerde »

Saadya, those are amazing!

I especially like the curved texture in the upper right- I can't begin to imagine how long that took to fold.

Also, the "Jar of Muses" is a fantastic concept, and it truly is a work of art, I think. Again, amazing to me that people can fold such shapes from paper.

How do you fold the curved lines so regularly? when I try to do that kind of thing, all I get is crumpled and heavily creased "quasi-curves". do you do it all by hand, or use a creasing tool of some sort?
saadya

Post by saadya »

Eric,

I make foil paper from kraft + spray glue + foil of a grade thicker than you can get from the supermarkets (except for experiments, then thin is OK).

Divisions are either eyeballed or measured & marked on the foil side with a good marker. The curves themselves, I simply 'draw': with a plastic chopstick on the paper side, a pencil on the foil side. Then its just a matter of coaxing and squeezing. It takes a while, but probably not as long as the tessellations you're used to.

Here's a closer view of the older spiral textures you liked:
http://www.saadya.net/Curvigami/SpiralTess.jpg

To take things to the next level, I plan to plaster-cast both sides of one of these (when it's relatively flat, before much coaxing and squeezing). Then I'll have a top-and-bottom mold and will be able to transfer the pattern directly onto virgin sheets.

I'm still racking my brains how to make a full mechanical process that can 'stamp' these shapes in their deep 3D forms onto sheet metal. It's not as easy as you might think, because the other two dimensions have to shrink during the 'stamping'. (Any of you guys out there with mechanical engineering degrees and bright ideas about this are welcome to get in touch with me privately...)

Saadya
Last edited by saadya on March 10th, 2006, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Here's a very nice Origami representation of Lamia (a creature from greek mythology, half woman, half serpent, see wikipedia) with definitely female features by the same person who did those dolls:
http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/sakamata10 ... &.begin=70

And I don't mean her breasts only when talking about female features, she's got a young female face as well.
(Note: the CPs on this page are unfortunately not for this model)
Gerwin
saadya

Post by saadya »

Some thoughts on Cleavage

for mleonard

http://www.saadya.net/female/Clvg.jpg

These can also be, um, wet folded.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Nice.

If you're aiming for a nude, I think the horizontal line spoils the effect - boobs are, well, almost always smooth.

Although if you're going for someone wearing a low cut bra, it's perfect. :D