Vietnamese wrapping paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
orislater
Buddha

Vietnamese wrapping paper

Post by orislater »

I have seen lots of great origamis from this paper, and i wonder where can i buy this? If anyone knows please post a link to an online store. Or if i could pay someone to send it to me, that is fine too.
-slater
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i have a feeling it's just wrapping paper bought in vietnam (i.e., there is no such thing as "vietnamese wrapping paper," per se).
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

yes that is what i meant
picture of this paper:
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

perhaps i've not made myself clear.

i don't believe that there is such a thing as "vietnamese wrapping paper" any more than there is "american wrapping paper" or "european wrapping paper." there is only wrapping paper that one buys in those countries. by buying "vietnamese wrapping paper," you could very well be buying wrapping paper that you could buy here (i.e., a roll of hallmark). in other words, generally speaking, "wrapping paper" is a very heterogeneous product, and a leap of faith is required when buying some without being able to "test fold" a corner. in this instance, the folder has found wrapping paper that works especially well. you might do better to ask if this particular paper is made by a particular manufacturer.

of course i could be wrong.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i understand what you mean but... some people on this forum say they use "a popular wrapping paper" and the people who say that are usually from Vietnam
another pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackscorpion/4020708143/
cuong says: "folded from double wrapping paper"
cuong lives in vietnam...
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I strongly disagree Bethnor. That wrapping paper used for the Butterfly and the Bear has a special texture that I have never seen in any wrapping paper in the US. If you think that you can buy such paper in any old hallmark shop, then please name that paper so I might do so! :lol:

You've said the same with kraft (about it being heterogeneous and not special per country), but the fact is that the kraft paper you can get in Europe is not easily available in the US. And I have that paper from a friend in the UK, and it is not at all like any kraft paper in the US. And I've tried several kraft papers in the US, and instead of being heterogeneous as you make it out to be, they seem to be consistently the same class of paper in every way.

The reality is that in every country outside of North America finding cheap, abundant, available in many colors, large rolls of thin, strong paper is easy to find, but in North America it is a challenge.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The reality is that in every country outside of North America finding cheap, abundant, available in many colors, large rolls of thin, strong paper is easy to find, but in North America it is a challenge.
You're joking... right?
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Adam wrote:
You're joking... right?
No I'm not. If it is easy in US and Canada to find these papers then please name them and where to find them.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I wouldn't have a clue, because I don't live in North America.

However, I can tell you that I have never found any paper that would fulfil a part or all of the criteria you've mentioned. I have visited multiple large cities, all of which have multiple art stores, in both The Netherlands and Germany, but only one of the stores I found and visited had papers like Kozo, thin Mulberry and Gampi. Not only is the price high, but the only colour available is white, and the size of these sheets is small, so there are certainly no large rolls available.

Saying that it's easy to find good paper all over the world except for the US and Canada is just plain ridiculous and borderline offensive.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Oh you meant the other way, I gotcha.

Well you're talking about expensive handmade papers, I'm simply talking about paper thin enough to fold most origami models out of. Have you not seen many kinds of kraft, wrapping paper and other types of paper that fit the bill?

That is to stay that I'm talking about something that gets the job done and doesn't look terrible, while you are talking about the kind of paper you would use for display purposes. We're not talking about the same thing.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The only paper that seems to be abundant where I live is thick wrapping paper (80g/m² or more) in rolls of 70x200 cm. Ergo, hardly useful for both practising purposes or display purposes. Other than that, I have actually rarely seen regular, thin kami in stores.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I don't see kami much in the stores either. So some of the nice wrapping paper I've seen other folders use they actually went out of their way to find then? That surprises me, it looks like simply colored kraft, and that thin kraft paper is available in large rolls cheaply. My friend in the UK said that at his work, they had a room full of roll after roll of the stuff.
scorpion

Post by scorpion »

It's actually Chinese crumpled paper. We Vietnamese usually use it to wrap our gift box so we call it "wrapping paper". It's thin enough (58gsm) for most of complex origami models.

Many Vietnamese folders use it just because it's very cheap and easy to find. There is nothing really special about this paper though.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

thank you so much! you are awesome :D
topquark

Post by topquark »

Can anybody please tell me what model that is you posted above? Is that a Sailor Moon? Who designed it? Thanks!