Vietnamese wrapping paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
giro

Post by giro »

And is possible to buy online the Chinese crumpled paper?

David.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

topquark wrote:Can anybody please tell me what model that is you posted above? Is that a Sailor Moon? Who designed it? Thanks!
it's a vocaloid thingy. sorry i dont know who designed it but photo diagrams are here: http://www.takwing.idv.hk/origami/diagr ... n&pic=0001
and the cp: Image
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
topquark

Post by topquark »

Wow, thanks a lot! I'm going to check it out.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

your welcome :D ! it's a pretty easy model if your comfortable with boxpleating... I recommend about 40cm. you should use paper that keeps it's shape pretty well (like the paper in this topic) or a foil based paper. other papers may be used but shaping requires alot of pva or mc.
good luck!
topquark

Post by topquark »

Actually, since you brought up wrapping paper, I wanted to try a kind of wrapping paper that is available in my country. It is a kind of rice paper that is harder and crisper than tissue paper but is almost as thin. It's used to wrap candies, mostly. I was wondering at first if it was the one used in the model you posted because it looks kind of like it, but I am not from Vietnam so it might not be it. The wrapping paper from here (Philippines) is called "papel de japon" and is very cheap. It is also used to make Christmas lanterns here. I'm going to give it a try with this model. Thanks again!
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

sounds interesting... im in the middle of folding another vocaloid with tissue foil (my first with baking paper was ok but not great) ill post pictures when im done
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

your welcome Very Happy ! it's a pretty easy model if your comfortable with boxpleating... I recommend about 40cm. you should use paper that keeps it's shape pretty well (like the paper in this topic) or a foil based paper. other papers may be used but shaping requires alot of pva or mc.
good luck!
You are saying that the paper mentioned in this topic (the Vietnamese wrapping paper, or Chinese Crumpled Paper if that is it) is good to shape, like foil? The paper doesn't seem to have wrinkles like tissue foil. I thought earlier in this topic someone stated that this paper is just like any other thin paper, so which is it, easy to shape or just like any other paper? If it is easy to shape I would definitely buy some (if it is indeed Chinese Crumpled Paper), but that seems to good to be true, can anyone please clarify?
Please, add me on flickr and tell me what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53465278@N02/
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

ive never folded with this paper so i couldn't tell you.
the reason i said to fold this model with this paper is because that's what the autor used :P
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

DavidW wrote:
Adam wrote:
The reality is that in every country outside of North America finding cheap, abundant, available in many colors, large rolls of thin, strong paper is easy to find, but in North America it is a challenge.
You're joking... right?
No I'm not. If it is easy in US and Canada to find these papers then please name them and where to find them.
I line in the United States of America and there is not one store that sells wrapping paper i don't know any stores that sell that kind of paper in other states besides in California
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

@Pop pop: "No store that sells wrapping paper."

I imagine you meant Vietnamese wrapping paper, Chinese Crumbled paper, or Japanese Paper (from the Philippines).

I'd bet that if you go to a local "ChinaTown" in California, New York City, maybe Chicago, maybe Arlington, Texas, etc. you might locate Chinese Crumbled paper.... although I'm not quite sure how you'd go about asking for it, without a sample. Also, no guarantee that it would be reasonably priced...

- Hank Simon
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

in pier 39 they sell origami paper but i dont if they have it
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
orislater
Buddha

Re: Vietnamese wrapping paper

Post by orislater »

i finally got some of this paper. bethnor its completely different than ordinary wrapping paper!
its really awesome and crisp and holds its shape great
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

i have to buy some now....
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

how did you get it, slater? it's not up yet on origami-shop.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

is it going up on origami shop? i didn't know he had it...
i got it from someone on the forum who gave me some sheets to test before i buy it from him.
i recomend this paper to begginers and experts!