Vietnamese wrapping paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Re: Vietnamese wrapping paper

Post by joshuaorigami »

who was it?
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

it's available on origami-shop now.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

yeah bethnor i just saw that yesterday. i already have the pearl crumpled paper but i would like to buy the normal kind so maybe ill get some from origami shop
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

if anyone is interested...a friend of mine is flying to vietnam next week...so he probably could get me some paper. if you let me know how it is called in vietnamese, he might be able to get some of them...

e-mo
Omelette

Post by Omelette »

I think I've found the company that makes it! Not sure how to buy it though...
http://bettysu1986.en.ec21.com/Pearlish ... 21214.html
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

I just received 8 sheets of VOG paper (pearl, 64 cm2) from Nick Terry. I can confirm that its a nice crisp paper that takes a fold very well. I've started on Minotaur (Kamiya) with a whole sheet - a model I've done a couple of times with Lokta/MC. My concern is that the VOG paper may not hold its shape very well once folded. Can anyone with experience with this paper offer any advice on how best to shape (I will probably wire the arms no matter what)? I am familiar with MC and wet folding - are either of these approaches suitable for this paper?
Last edited by Bubo on August 20th, 2011, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

one suspects that indeed they do finish with MC, and this is probably inescapable with all thin papers.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i have seen lots of posts by vietnamese people that say they use PVA (white glue) to shape
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Thanks Bethnor and Orislater.

I guess I'll try PVA first (Sirgo dilution I guess). I haven't tried yet but I just get the impression that it won't take up MC or PVA as well as unryu or lokta - hopefully I'm wrong. I guess I'll suck it and see. If there are any VOG members who can add to Bethnor or Orislater I'd love to hear from you. For example if PVA is the way to go what dilution is best? Do you apply only to certain areas after folding or its it wise to treat whole sheets before folding? Any extra tips would be great.

Thanks in advance
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

they just put straight up elmers glue on the paper :roll:
oh and i learned something! glue sticks are magical on this paper! if its getting springy glue all the layers together with a glue stick and it stays flat. it also makes it a little crisper from the glue so its really fun :D
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

to be clear, though i have received my supply from origami-shop, i have not used it, nor have i gone to the VOG forums. however, it's plain from kamiya's second book, even if you don't read a lick of japanese, that he is quite liberal with glue and wire for final shaping for display purposes--and this is with origamido and other high-end papers. it's becoming plain that, for the time being, all papers will require this to achieve what you see in photos.
Ray95

Post by Ray95 »

Perhaps the vietnamese wrapping paper is the one I bought last year in Hanoi, in the Hang Ma Street, or at least nearby, all the shops of the street are selling this kind of paper.

You have to use MC, depending on the model.

Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Sure looks the same from here. That's a rather exciting picture - for a paper folder that is. I'm finding that MC helps but it doesn't bind layers together like it would with unryu, when doing beetle legs or the like. I think Bethnor is right and Kamiya's wire and glue approach will be needed quite liberally. That said its still a nice paper to have on hand. I'll post a pic when I'm done but I'm a pretty slow folder. I'm up to shaping the arms.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Ray95 wrote:You have to use MC, depending on the model.
why didn't anyone say this before i bought it... i have no MC, that's why i stick with t-foil.
Because of this, i can only make simple models from my sheets. :cry: