Quentin Trollip new book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Eyalr2

Quentin Trollip new book

Post by Eyalr2 »

I just saw that Quentin is about to publish his new book.
You can check Nicolas Terry's shop to see the content-there are some great models in the book:3 wize monkeys,grizzly bear,rhino,african elephant and other nice models.(total of 21 diagrammed models!)
I can't wait to buy it...
Here is the link:
http://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami- ... -1302.html
paperlion

Post by paperlion »

Looks like a good book! Can't wait to buy it.

Great job, Quentin. :)
"When I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me"

-Morrissey
Myxtyplx

Quentin Trollip book...

Post by Myxtyplx »

...is available now. I just bought mine! :D :D :D/
"I Do Whatever My Rice Krispies Tell Me To".
Foldingsmith

Post by Foldingsmith »

Just ordered mine!

I am eagerly looking forward to this one.
jckbret

Post by jckbret »

Quentin Trollip served in the military and received his degree in Physiotherapy.The art of paper-folding has been around for hundreds of years and, like most things, has evolved significantly. Many of models use interesting color-change effects.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Someone has already figured out the Secret code.

- Hank Simon
NickH

Post by NickH »

Just got Origami Sequence and its fantastic. Thanks to Quentin and Nicolas Terry.

The book suggests a triple layer of tissue (presumably the cheap stuff that leeks dye and fades with age) for the bald eagle. Before I commit two sheets of it, can the Bald Eagle be well folded from double Unryushi (of the size recommended (60cm2)?
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Hi NickH

Thank you!

Yes, i did fold it with brown unryu mc'ed onto white unruy, and on 60cm it was thin enough.
The brown did bleed through very slightly though on my fold , but if it doesnt, it should be perfect.
I'm glad you want to try this one! Cant wait to see it, because it's not too easy!

My fold (the picture in the book) is actually unryu-foil-unryu, which is significantly thicker, than without the foil, but also I used a bigger square.

Good luck, I cant think too many people will actually want to fold this one, but I may be wrong.

Q
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i want to fold it!
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Me too! :D
NickH

Post by NickH »

Thanks for the quick response and paper info Quentin. I can't believe you think people wouldn't want to try this design! I could be wrong, and I certainly don't mean it as an insult, but compared to some other complex works it doesn't look that hard - challenging and I am sure rewarding - but not frustrating or "WTF does that mean". I would say that the way the wings are constructed is truely inspired - you just cant get that sort of inspiration from treemaker (no disrespect to treemaker - it has its place and uses). I dont have it in front of me now but I laughed (in joyous surprise) when I saw the steps that see it go from one narrow strip to having wings (by pulling out the "pleats").

When I MC brown and white unryu I always get a little discoloration of the white side but not enough for it to concern me. Strangely I dont get this from black and white. I like double Unryu alot so you can imagine I am really happy with your book - thanks again
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

NickH wrote: When I MC brown and white unryu I always get a little discoloration of the white side but not enough for it to concern me. Strangely I dont get this from black and white. I like double Unryu alot so you can imagine I am really happy with your book - thanks again
I get this effect as well when MCing white unryu to very dark papers. On Quentin's horse, I actually mixed some white acrylic to the MC, which totally saturated the white sheet, you can hardly guess where the fibers were visible.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Whitefly

Post by Whitefly »

joshuaorigami wrote:Me too! :D
No o o o o ! ! !
Josh,
Do not dare, like usual, to rape a sheet of paper and, before all, a so awesome model!!
If Quentin will not do it, i'll certainly sue you!!
:lol:
Mario
plastgeek

Post by plastgeek »

I got the book for christmas, and I love it! Good job Quentin! I'm just curious; (if you see this) For the eagle, how did you come up with the idea to use those pleats/flaps in front as an underside of the bird? I was moving along and thinking "Why does this eagle have front legs?" the entire way through.

In other news, besides HankSimon, does anyone have any clue about the code? Nothing seems obvious (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)
Adam

Post by Adam »

qtrollip wrote:snip
I tried MCing two sheets of Unryu [brown and white] to each other and produced a >50 cm sheet with it, but it would seem that the sheet was rather thick. It's foldable, but doesn't look as neat as I hoped it would look. Are there different types of Unryu out there, with different weight/thickness?