Christmas Origami Book 2010

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
madarko

Post by madarko »

no symbol then? that's cool
I should have some diagrams finished by the end of tonight then :D
have fun.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

This is the symbol:
madarko

Post by madarko »

i did this one
i think it kinda makes sense
have fun.
endreon

Post by endreon »

I am diagramming a simple cobra head that I designed with a friend of mine that is in my Origami club at school.
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

Submitted my fish diagrams :)
[img]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1204 ... edfish.png[/img]
My Flickr

FlareglooM
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Great, i love that model! :D
malachi

Post by malachi »

ahudson wrote:How is it elitist? Anybody can draw diagrams for a traditional model. Most of the better diagrams from this book will end up getting published somewhere else eventually, anyhow.

The suggestion of having a price tag that goes to the upkeep of the forum is a nice idea-- but the point of this publication is so the diagrammers can give each other a christmas present. We spend the rest of the year releasing diagrams to the public, is it really a problem for us to make diagrams for each other for once?
It is interesting to me that you follow your paragraph asking how the book is elitist with a paragraph saying the point of the publication is so the diagrammers can give each other a Christmas present. I would consider them to be an elite group.

I do not think my crude diagrams for a traditional model would be welcome in the book, but I could be wrong. I also do not believe that diagramming ability is as universal as you seem to think.

However, I am not arguing that the book should not happen, just that I have reservations about it. I would assume that anyone who contributes to it would feel differently from me, otherwise they would be stuck where I am.
I'm not sure why you have a problem with this. Many designers save their best work for submission to the Tanteidan convention book every year-- how is this any different?
You are right, some designers will certainly save their designs for publication in something like Tanteidan. One major difference is that anyone can buy a copy of the Tanteidan book. However, my personal philosophy about it is more in line with oschene's. If I haven't been able to explain it yet, I probably don't have the spare time to explain it well enough now. Don't worry about it.
My grandmother used to read a story to me called "The Little Red Hen" and I have many fond memories of it. Here's a link if you haven't read it yet.
My mother read that story to me as a child. If it seems somehow relevant to my points then perhaps you have misread either the story or my post since I am not suggesting anyone get something for nothing.

malachi
Once

Post by Once »

I was wondering if this great topic would appear again this year, count me in !

To people complaining about this book being elitist: diagrams present in the book had not been published elsewhere before and therefore make a nice present to the people who contributed to the book. However there is no restriction on publishing the diagrams online or at a conference after Christmas. If I remember correctly there was a time limit last year stating that all diagrams should remain unpublished until the end of January. After this deadline many folders including me published their models on Flickr or their personal webpage.

So if you are desperate to get these diagrams without contributing to the book, you just need to wait a few months :)
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Malachi - I was too lazy to go back to read this thread... it is beneath me :-)

Don't count yourself out from contributing to the Xmas book, just because you have hand drawn diagrams. Before we had cheap computer graphics, some of the best designers had great models with terrible diagrams. The one thing that I suggest is that you number the diagrams carefully, then write a few sentences to describe the actions.... It will motivate you to improve each year.

- Hank Simon
madarko

Post by madarko »

just sent some diagrams :D
have fun.
malachi

Post by malachi »

HankSimon wrote:Don't count yourself out from contributing to the Xmas book, just because you have hand drawn diagrams.
You seem to be assuming I have any diagrams, hand drawn or not.
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

If anyone wants to diagram something, I have a Centipede crease pattern!!
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

Lephantome92 wrote:If anyone wants to diagram something, I have a Centipede crease pattern!!
As I said before, CPs aren't my strength, but feel free to send it my way and I'll see if I can do something with it. It'd be a nice challenge.
If you'd rather have someone who's more competent with CPs, that's fine. :)
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

Just decided that I'll submit Pangolin v.2 for the book!! (I don't like the scales on v.3)
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Malachi wrote: You seem to be assuming I have any diagrams, hand drawn or not.

I quote: "I do not think my crude diagrams for a traditional model would be welcome in the book, but I could be wrong."

Yes, :-) ... I am assuming from the quoted statement that crude diagrams exist.... Was I misdirected ? :-)

Was my encouragement wasted.....

- Hank Simon