Should Eric Joisel's Works Be Diagrammed?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

Should Eric Joisel's works be reverse engineered?

Yes, full diagrams
50%
At least crease patterns
30%
Nothing at all
20%

Total votes: 80

redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

I really really wish i could quote every one of you guys, but all you have been saying is a giant F*ck you to the person before you. But over what?
I know his works are masterpieces, truly BUT you do not have crucify each other over whether someone gets diagrams done for the work of some man.
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

My point exactly! Whether we want diagrams or not, I doubt it will ever happen, unless Mr Joisel has already made diagrams, but just not released them (which is very unlikely, or they would have been included in his book)

Bottom line, arguing over this isn't going to make any diference one way or the other, so lets just enjoy folding what work of his is available to us to fold, and enjoy looking at the rest.
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Rdude wrote:My point exactly! Whether we want diagrams or not, I doubt it will ever happen, unless Mr Joisel has already made diagrams, but just not released them (which is very unlikely, or they would have been included in his book)

Bottom line, arguing over this isn't going to make any diference one way or the other, so lets just enjoy folding what work of his is available to us to fold, and enjoy looking at the rest.
I completely agree. :)
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I agree with Slater.

- Hank Simon

Two forum members were teased in the making of this post. Please feel free to contact any legal department if you have any questions or concerns
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

cool! i think... :?
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

I don't want to have any diagrams for any of joisel's work simply because i don't think I can do justice to anything in there, having only been folding for 1.5 years.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I like that even better. I don't want the diagrams... I just want the skill and talent to be able to fold them !

- Hank Simon
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

For the easy one (like horse head) yes it should be diagram, but compex ones no. :wink:
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

cps and diagrams are ok but what is better are the things that has been left behind of Mr.Joisel so his whatever diagrams are there it must know to the world samething with his cp
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
Jaime Kou

Post by Jaime Kou »

Hi all, sorry I interrupt, but I saw on fliker these, and look interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25835378@N ... 975554286/

Sims that Ricardo already decode just by watching the pictures of the work of Eric Joisel, just is missing some proportion and the molding part; but it don’t have to be the same, he just have to develop his own stile, or may be the paper he use is not adequate, in any case I think he made a good job.

I just make some work on mask inspired on the work of Eric Joisel. If you like to see my work, you can go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaime_kou/

I use the cp of the booklet of Joisel Mask, but I play with proportion and expression and I develop my own style.

More than the cp is the inspiration of the work of Eric Joisel influence our work.
pumpkineater

Post by pumpkineater »

Your designs are truly amazing Jaime Kou. I know Mr Joisel created the originals, but he did however, encourage people to use their imaginations and creativity when he had led us far enough through his works, and I think Jaime has excelled in what Eric Joisel wanted for us all.Well done.
Jaime Kou

Post by Jaime Kou »

The idea of my previous post is point that many people already are working with the existing material that Eric Joisel already publish. Others have made their own interpretation of CP of few of his work; even Eric Joisel like to release simplified versions of their published work, always he left something to finish for you, and the key of his work is the molding.

I thing the book of Saadya Sternberg (Sculptural Origami), will face how to explain molding, it has DVD that mean video. I was thinking how to explain molding and don’t have an answered yet, the video will take too long and you will get bored; in any case will not be a short answered and most of the molding will depend on your ability and the paper you use. Many of the work of Eric Joisel use Kozo paper (I never try Kozo paper), I use Elephant Hide Paper, others like Lokta paper, and all these factors will crate different styles of molding (don’t have to be the same like Mr. Joisel work). Even you make something, reproduce is not easy, will take some time to reproduce your own work.

Don’t try to copy the work of Eric Joisel, you will be frustrated; try to be inspired by his work and develop your own appreciation of the thing you want to create.
Fold

Post by Fold »

I really would like to see his work diagrammed. Although I think we should respect his/his family's wishes.
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

Have you ever thought that maybe he didn't diagram his works for a reason?
Eric didn't like it when people folded his models badly. it damaged his reputation as an artist. and that, in my opinion, is why he didn't diagram them- because he didn't want people to fold them badly, and let those who where talented enough to reverse engineer them and fold them well, do just that. Many of his works not even Joisel himself could replicate, and what's the point in diagramming one of those?
If Eric didn't diagram them, he didn't diagram them for a reason, and therefore they shouldn't be diagrammed.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

anonymous person wrote:because he didn't want people to fold them badly
i thought i wasn't going to add any more fuel to this discussion, but this stance is puzzling in the extreme. if we shouldn't fold things because we'll never fold them as well as the designer, or up to their specs, then we might as well all give up and relegate origami to a spectator art.

again, all this is just pious mutterings in the aftermath of joisel's death that doesn't make any sense on its own for the traditions of origami. myself, no matter how happy i am with the final result, have never folded anything as well as the original designer. but that doesn't mean i (and others) shouldn't try. if the man said, word for word, "I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO DIAGRAM MY WORKS, EVER" by all means we should respect that. that is very different from saying he didn't want to diagram his work while he was alive. people don't diagram their works for any number of reasons, and sometimes it's just as simple as they hate the actual diagramming process (as in the case of joseph wu).