What To Fold

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: What To Fold

Post by HankSimon »

Elephant hide is great for wetfolding - good for 3D figures that need to hold their shape and for tessellations... What's your interest, level of patience, and level of folding ? Many of Robert Lang's models (other than his insects) will be terrific with elephant hide. (I think you need thinner paper, tissue or foil, for some of his insects).
toto93

Post by toto93 »

I've never really done any wetfolding before so I don't know how I am with that. As for interest, I'm up for anything, I don't really mind if it's representational or a tessellation. I think I'm pretty patient with origami(most of the time) and I'm an okay folder. The most complex thing I've folded is probably kamiya's wizard or unicorn as I've never really had the paper to go more complex than that.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

for wetfolding i use canson mi teintes watercolor paper, its a cheap and readily available alternative to elephant hide.
wet folding is pretty easy, what i do is wet the paper with a cloth before i start folding, trim that to a square, then fold and re wet drying or dried areas with a small paintbrush, and finish it off with MC shaping.
i usually get desirable results.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

The question was what to do with 20" x20" ElephantHide... Suggestions?

If you have Lang's Origami Design Secrets, then you might look into the Koi with Scales. It's a beautiful, challenging model, which I believe takes more patience (rather than higher levels of complex skills).

Some of MIchael LaFosse's models are excellent models, requiring fewer folds but more experience in shaping...

So the next question is which books do you have access to?
toto93

Post by toto93 »

I have works of Satoshi Kamiya and Lang's ODS, but i haven't really looked at ODS properly yet and I really ought to. I also got passion origami by nicolas terry and a few other books with mostly simple and traditional models. I don't mind suggestions of models from other books because I'm always looking to add to the collection.
I will definitely have a proper look through ODS now, see about that koi
Thanks
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I haven't folded the Koi yet, but I think 50x50cm might be a bit small for the scaled version. I would probably go for at least double that.
Anyway, as far as ODS goes, I suggest the African Elephant or Pegasus, maybe the Alamo Stallion for Elephant Hide.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
toto93

Post by toto93 »

I think I might try the alamo stallion, because I prefer kamiya's pegasus to that one and my paper's brown which suits a horse better than an elephant
yohohohowo

Post by yohohohowo »

I got my origami shop order in... where do I begin??? I have lots of different sizes of 28gsm kraft. Really big tissue foil ( only 7 sheets so they have to be good complicated models) some 35 cm tant, some 30 cm tissue foil. and some test sheets. I also have a large sheet of black unryu with gold strings, and white unryu with gold and silver speckles.

origami-shop.com order!!! by yohohohowo, on Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

wow, i practically ordered the same thing as you...
it should be here already (i'm not at home now), or tomorrow.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
yohohohowo

Post by yohohohowo »

It took 5 weeks to come in. It cost a pretty good chunk of my student loan. yeah... education expenses....
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

haha, lol
for me it usually takes 2-3 weeks.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Radiant_Howl2628

Post by Radiant_Howl2628 »

Wow that's a lot o.o i still need to order a book from origami shop I can't use my student loan on origami college use only. well i suggest is start folding models from Roman Diaz's book
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

If any of you get a chance, a great model to fold from Kami is my updated star. I will be publishing the revised diagrams publically...maybe tomorrow (2/18/12) on my flickr account.

There is 4 extra flaps that I found now use for until now. I will publish the instructions to make the star into a sun (it graduated) soon. hint: the flaps can be used to make a circle on the back.

EDIT: here it is :D
download
Last edited by phillipcurl on February 18th, 2012, 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I have a crapload of kami in need of using, so maybe I'll try it out.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

any suggestions of what to fold from 6 inch unyru foil?