Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origami-artist-galen

Re: Should Shuki Kato make a book?

Post by origami-artist-galen »

kareshi wrote:V1 looks more natural as far as that one aspect goes. Are you sure you can't rework V2? I do like the leg spines.
Oh no, I'm diagramming v2 definitely, with the possible addition of the v1 thorax. I'm glad you agree with me here, the thing is, the unaltered original v2 is my most popular model on flickr and it's a bit scary to make any alterations. :mrgreen:
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I prefer the v1 prothorax as well.

Random question: what's the scientific term for the horns on the nose? I'm blanking. :lol:
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami-artist-galen

cephalic horns maybe? I doubt there is a more specific term for that antler-like front piece of the Allomyrina Dichotoma. :wink:

I'm not even sure if I want to keep the pleats on the abdomen the same in this diagrammed version either. I'm thinking about doing something more interesting like rounding out the pleats which seems more anatomically correct.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

the pleats are fine, honestly, the only thing that should to be changed is the prothorax.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami-artist-galen

150 steps and 13 pages now, good grief, and I'm guessing I'm only halfway though! I will post that final diagram step when finished for proof.
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Hi Guys

I didn't complain about the fantastic diagram.
I just told to Shuki Kato that Inskape is really not the best choice to print a hight quality book.
When you print a book, you don't just need to have a pdf. A lot of invisible trouble appears often that we need to correct.

One example : even if Bernie Peyton use freehand to draw his diagram, we have one month late to publish his book Eco Origami. The reason is due to invisble problems in the export into pdf. We spend one month more to correct that and the book will be published only in december and not november as usual.
I can't imagine the delay we could have if we used a basic tool like inskape.....

An other example : Quentin Trollip draw on auto-cad and, for Origami Sequence, I had to re-draw myself ALL the valley-folds and montain-folds of the book. Do you imagine the time I used to replace all valley and mountain-folds, step-by-step on 192 pages ?????

That's why, for all authors who want to publish something with me, I ask them to move to Freehand, illustrator or Corel Draw.

However, it's not a restricted condition. As I already publish Quentin Trollip with his AutoCad diagram, I should be able to publish Inskape diagrams.
Shuki Kato, of course, don't re-draw your old diagram. It's a waste of time. But it's better if now you start to use a professionnal vector program. It's worth it, especially if you are planning to publish a book one day (with me or another).
If really it's not possible and you want to continue with inskape, so send me more PDF of your diagrams. I will see with my printer the time we need to work on them to be able to publish them.

Nicolas TERRY
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
merman

Post by merman »

Still Inkscape can look pretty ok. My diagrams for Origami Tanteidan Convention book 17 and 18 where made with Inkscape. JOAS made some change that caused some arrows to blow up and greys to change color but I wonder if they even noticed it. It could have been corrected quite easily.
origami-artist-galen

I talked to Nicolas Terry a bit via email, so we'll see if anything happens in that department after all, but it's unlikely...

Feel like I have to post something, step 170 (without arrows/fold marks) for the Kabutomushi:

Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Looks great so far, can't wait for the book!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

Congratulations, Shuki, this looks to be a very great book! Can't wait to have it in my hands!
origami-artist-galen

Thanks for all the support even after all this time! I actually just moved into a new house and got absolutely nothing done diagramming-wise over the last 4 days. But... the kabutomushi is still going on, 212 steps now. :D
~edit~ 240 steps...
origami-artist-galen

Step 240, I'm actually 254 steps in now, but this one of the more interesting looks, plus you can see the eyes!

Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

=D> Great job Shuki! Can't wait for such a publication! =D>
This model and it's diagrams are so incredible it made me chuckle at its awesomeness!
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Really appreciating your regular updates! Your kabuto mushi is looking like it will be a stand out not just for your book but for diagrammed insects generally. Just out of curiosity how many diagrammed models have you completed for your book so far?
origami-artist-galen

I appreciate it!
The list of the models completed so far is not as large as I hoped or expected by this time of the year, but better late than never:

1. Bear Cub
2. Diplodocus
3. Simple Dragon
4. Simple Dragonfly
5. Western Dragon v3
6. Flying Stag Beetle
7. Triceratops
8. Kabutomushi (80% complete)

So... there will be 10-15 more added to this list when everything is said and done.