Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Re: Should Shuki Kato make a book?

Post by Baltorigamist »

If you think about it, almost all of the books from well-known authors have a lot of previously published models (A lot of the models in WoSK were in Tanteidan books, for example). So I don't think there's any problem with keeping the two dragons in.

As far as using the QR code if you cut the models out, I don't know how convenient that would be for some people. Not everyone has a smart phone (I don't), so not everyone would be able to make use of the code. I would say at least give the URL of the diagrams in print so those who can't access the QR code could still get the diagrams.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i don't even have a cell phone, just throwing ideas out there :D
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

Not very good news guys, I contacted Nicolas Terry for some advice (and possible help with production) and according to him Inkscape diagrams isn't quite good enough for professional published diagrams. So... I'm going to try a different (costly) program and I will have to redraw EVERYTHING. I'm just apologizing for getting getting anyone's hopes up for publication early next year. But... I'm still working on this and I will try my darnedest not to disappoint.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Aww, that sucks.

Either way, I'm glad to hear you're still gonna be working on it. (Plus now I have time to save for it. :lol:)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Before you manually re-draw, Is there some other format for publication that you can automate the export into?
Bass

Post by Bass »

origami-artist-galen wrote:Not very good news guys, I contacted Nicolas Terry for some advice (and possible help with production) and according to him Inkscape diagrams isn't quite good enough for professional published diagrams. So... I'm going to try a different (costly) program and I will have to redraw EVERYTHING. I'm just apologizing for getting getting anyone's hopes up for publication early next year. But... I'm still working on this and I will try my darnedest not to disappoint.
What program are you going to use instead? I ask because I don't want to end up in the same predicament when I'm content enough to start diagramming seriously.
origami-artist-galen

HankSimon wrote:Before you manually re-draw, Is there some other format for publication that you can automate the export into?
Could explain that more clearly?
Bass wrote: What program are you going to use instead? I ask because I don't want to end up in the same predicament when I'm content enough to start diagramming seriously.
I'm trying out Freehand mx, we'll see how things turn out. :wink:
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Is there a program that will take your Inkscape diagrams and convert them into a Freehand mx format, to help save you some time?
origami-artist-galen

HankSimon wrote:Is there a program that will take your Inkscape diagrams and convert them into a Freehand mx format, to help save you some time?
Okay, that's what I thought... I really wish there was, but I really don't think so. :cry:
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Wow, lame. Remind me not to mess with passion-origami in my pursuits... your diagrams are excellent!
origami-artist-galen

kareshi wrote:Wow, lame. Remind me not to mess with passion-origami in my pursuits... your diagrams are excellent!
Thanks for the support, but there's no reason to hate on Nicolas who is a wonderful publisher, provider, and origami designer.

So, after much deliberation I've decided to continue the diagrams with inkscape, to my untrained eye the triceratops diagrams looked great in the origami usa convention book, so on with the show. The main reason outside of that was because I did not want to rework what I already finished, but also becacuse Freehand does not have angled guides which spoiled me on inkscape. I'll be working on the Samurai helmet Beetle diagrams once again. :wink:
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

He's a wonderful and tireless provider toward the origami world. I just don't see what there is to complain about from Inkscape. It's probably the only vector program I'll be able to use, if I ever break away from hand-drawn.
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

HankSimon wrote:Is there a program that will take your Inkscape diagrams and convert them into a Freehand mx format, to help save you some time?
Don't know anything about inkscape, but if you can save as .dxf just about any CAD software in the world will be able to read it. There are some freeware versions of CAD software out there that might work as well.
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

origami-artist-galen wrote:Not very good news guys, I contacted Nicolas Terry for some advice (and possible help with production) and according to him Inkscape diagrams isn't quite good enough for professional published diagrams. So... I'm going to try a different (costly) program and I will have to redraw EVERYTHING. I'm just apologizing for getting getting anyone's hopes up for publication early next year. But... I'm still working on this and I will try my darnedest not to disappoint.
Your diagrams are excellent, so I don't understand why he would think their not good enough! Find another publisher like origamihouse who can appreciate your fantastic work!
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Sure, why doesn't Nicolas learn how to run an editing business from teenagers who've seen it all on the Internet... Silly him...

Seriously, the keyword Shuki used here was 'professional'. Me, I don't know too much about editing, but there are good reasons why it's a real job, I'm sure. I'm looking forward seeing your models diagrammed and published, Shuki, but I've not seen pro work happen as quickly as anyone would wish it to be...
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)