Strange coincidence!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
saj

Strange coincidence!

Post by saj »

I had made some origami roses, a witch and a rhino by Edwin Corrie that I wanted to drop off at my local paper store.

It just so happened that I bumped into a artoz rep that said that they had been looking for a origamist to use in their international trade shows! They said they didn't find anyone, so I told her I was available and that she'd let me know if anything came up.

She was fascinated that the models were made from one piece of paper, and that they could contain so much detail. I have been using their Rustik range only fairly recently (after a post I made about where to get elephant hide)., and also another range that starts with p. Hopefully I can get some freebies out of them...

The Rustik range is magic. Folding is somewhat tricker because the paper is slightly heavier (110gsm). And of course the worst thing is that one needs to trim it to a square. They have a translucent range which folds like paper, ideal for making snow flakes. I used to fold tracing paper, but it was very difficult, mainly reversing folds that often cracked the paper.

So anyone else have a origami based coincidence? Has anyone on the street/ shop recognised you as the 'origami dude/ dudess'?

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

i often build some modulars at birthdays or complex foldings like kendo-warrior.. many of the people then say that this looks so great and.. "how you done it..?".. and such things..
my favorit models are detailed ones.. it doesnt matter if it is hard to fold.. sometimes i show them how to fold something (like a manta ray or so).. and they like it realy much.. bill foldings are very welcome too...

but not tried it in a shop till now .. *g*..
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Wow, how lucky for you Saj! I wish that would happen to me. :(

Maybe its just me or the small town I live in, but almost anywhere I go someone says "Hey its the origami guy!" then they ask me to make them something. Its the same anywhere, at school, the supermarket, or the video store. Its great, but can get annoying :roll: if more than one person asks. I mean, who has the time to fold 5 Montroll unicorns in different colors and get groceries :? ?

BTW I am rumored to be getting the "Most Talented" senior superlative. :o