How do you look like?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

If I could delete that post, I would... In fact, I think I willImage

I agree, it was rather insulting of me to do that, and I don't think I would have some other time. I would be just as offended, but I didn't really think about it. (I had just found the picture) Personally, I think you should contact Joe and get it deleted if you don't like it, though.

And thin is nothing like the Joisel thing. That was a cat, I'm sure jared wouldn't really care if I posted a picture of his cat (although he might mind...)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Nikhil Just Stares at what's going on Confused and Mouth Shut --- :shock:
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

hi guys, thanks so much for helping clarify some of my confusions.

i think there are 2 issues here - one is about joisel's reaction and the other is about the posting of links and photos. (btw, jared didn't post the link to the step diagrams in this forum but i think someone did). for the first issue, we can't do much about except that those who feel offended by his comments will probably be less interested in his works.

i am more concerned about the second issue. sorry anna, i didn't realize that besides the link, cupcake had actually also posted a photo which he shud not have done. my question now to u, anna and the other moderators is about providing links and photos in this forum. can i understand that i am allowed to provide links to other websites but when it comes to photos, i should only post my originals? the reason i ask is because i remember seeing here in this forum photos and CPs that were directly plucked out from say kamiya's website etc.

oh cupcake, i don't think this is just about the posting of a person's photo or the photo of a cat. of course it would be good manners to ask a person first before u post a photo of him but my question is : does this forum approve the use of other people's photos (whether photos of themselves or of other subjects).

and nikhil, yes, if we keep staring someday we may see the light ! :D

have a great weekend!
Last edited by cavemanboon on April 21st, 2007, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

sorry for causing this thread to detour somewhat with the previous posts. back to something more relevant to this thread - here's a shot of the young caveman taken around 20 years ago ... hope u don't mind. back then, we don't have internet and computers were primitive, at best and this was how we used to entertain ourselves :D :

http://cavemanboon.fotopic.net/p40526373.html
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Funny picture caveman :D

About posting links or photos: Some people can become angry if you post their pictures/diagrams/photos somewhere else, so it's always better to give a link on where to find it. There where some discrepances some time ago when a member postet some photos from other's websites not clarifying that they weren't his own.

We have a point in our Forum Rules that tells that linking to others work is only permissible, if you have the authors permission. Personally I don't see it that hard as long as you're not claiming it your own work I think linking is ok. If you put something on the internet you have to accept that it isn't any longer under your controll unless you protect it with some kind of password to allow only specific people to access it.

Cupcake: Deleting posts in the middle of a conversation is very stupid.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

In the case of Jared's picture, on other forums I've been to they do not allow the posting of a picture of someone without permission from that person. With the nature of posting convention photos, etc. thats not really applicable here, but since you knew Jared was a forum-goer it would have been best to ask. Generally posting pictures of someone's works it is preferred to use imageshack or another image host and give credit to the author at least (gaining permission would be best). Direct linking a photo from the author's website is considered bad netiquette and it steals bandwidth from their site.

In the case of Mr. Joisel's cat, thats another matter totally as you said. He folded the cat himself from publically available diagrams and took his own photo of it. There is nothing at all wrong with that. I believe Mr. Joisel took the reaction as someone stealing from him, and reacted rather harshly and undignified. He probably assumed we were British by the ".uk" url tag, however this is a global forum. He is probably rather angry and deadened from dealing with theives as was stated in another thread. He is lucky the diagrams did not make it to 4chan though =p. I can't say I didn't lose some respect for Mr. Joisel, but I don't think he should be judged too harshly from the circumstances and possible influences.
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

Funny picture caveman
glad the photo amused u :D
We have a point in our Forum Rules that tells that linking to others work is only permissible, if you have the authors permission
sorry, u mean directly posting a photo taken by someone else requires the author's permission right? for example (sorry, esato!) :

viewtopic.php?t=1164

posting a URL link that shows a photo in the person's website shouldn't require that person's permission right? for example, like this :

http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~origami/sheep.html
Cupcake: Deleting posts in the middle of a ...
anna, just my personal opinion but i don't think we should use such an adjective to describe a person's action even if he or she has made a mistake. i am sure there are other more tactful ways of letting a person know that he or she has made a mistake. this is a public forum and it would be wonderful if we can keep things more civil. in any case, if i am not mistaken, he is only 14 or 15 years old. he seems like a nice & smart guy and i am sure he will learn quickly even without the use of harsh words.
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

oops, sorry, joe - i just saw your post after submitting the last post. anyway, thanks for the input.
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

cavemanboon wrote: and nikhil, yes, if we keep staring someday we may see the light ! :D
he he :) I stay away from arguments... I like to observe... and learn
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
origami93

Post by origami93 »

that's me. IGNORE THE WALLPAPER!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Wow, look like a lot of the kids in my class. Strange... :D

PS: nice wallpaper
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Perpetual_Odium

Post by Perpetual_Odium »

Me about Two Christmas ago(aren't I soooo happy?)

and In my sisters room

My heart bleeds what little purity I have left through these eyes of mine; leaving me dry inside.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I finally found a half decent picture of myself
It's a year old, from when I was on a school trip to Quebec, before I began folding (My how I've changed, but I still have the same friends). I'm the only one in shorts.
Last edited by Cupcake on July 6th, 2007, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Perpetual_Odium

Post by Perpetual_Odium »

:lol: I thought the day would never come.
My heart bleeds what little purity I have left through these eyes of mine; leaving me dry inside.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well, it came :)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs