Distractions from Origami

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

school, chess and more school....
origami street racer

Post by origami street racer »

to much folding at one time and I will start to procrastinate
R.I.P Paul Grey 1972-2010
Slipkont
kitsune134

Post by kitsune134 »

My distractions tend to be loud rock music and bright shiny objects... :lol:
I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work!
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Listening to music (i.e. Modest Mouse, Coldplay, Cake, Tin Hat Trio, those are my favourite bands). That's pretty much my only distraction. I don't play sports that much, especially sports wherein it is required that you run alot, like soccer. I don't like playing soccer.
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

This topic distracts me from origami.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

:lol:
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

While I dearly love origami, ( probably too much so )
It is my main distraction.
There are far, far, too many activities in life to engage in, and not to miss, to stay cooped up indoors, folding little pieces of paper.
Origami is a time stealing mistress, depriving us of experiencing life in all it's diversity.
We become shallow, unimaginative folding robots.
Need social activity, new experiences, interactions with the outside world, and exercise.
Origami should be a hobby, an enhancement to a larger more rounded life . ( Understandably , professionals excepted )
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I would like to disagree on your point about it depriving us of social-ness

If anything, origami has made me more social. I am an extremely shy person, and have few friends. Origami has been insturmental in helping me meet new people. Back during the school year, I became known as the origami guy, and several people have told me that my origami was the only reason they showed up for english class. As a result, I was able to step out of my shell a little more, and be a little more confident in my social abilities.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions, just offering mine.
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

Zoraz:
Excellent counter-point !
I totally agree that origami contributes to a degree of social interaction, in a creative and positive way.
I simply believe that it should be relegated to a position of one of many social skills, with emphasis placed on well-rounded development in many areas and activities .
There's only so many hours in a day, and balance is important...
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Re: Distractions from Origami

Post by ahudson »

I'll put it this way: if I thought I could make a reasonable living at it, I'd drop out of college and be a full-time origami artist. Right now, and I wouldn't look back. Origami isn't a tool to improve my social life; it's a creative outlet, an escape, a world of my own making. You're right that there are only so many hours in the day; so why not spend as much as I can doing what I love? What else is life for?
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I never intended origami to become a tool to improve my social skills. If it was, I wouldn't still be folding. I do it because I love it and it removes me from all the problems in my life for a time. I would also become a full time origamist if I had the ability and could make a living off of it. Social respect was simply a convinient side effect, which I took advantage of.

I would look like a hypocrite if I didn't post some more origami too, so I'm updating my gallery today.
marvz

Post by marvz »

household chores :D
We are surrounded by emptiness. But it is an emptiness filled with signs. - Anton Lefebvre (Everyday life in the modern world)
Origamist388

Post by Origamist388 »

School ](*,) ,homework(altough it is school :-k ) and gaming
Art is about creation. It is about self-expression. It is giving form to something within you.
-Joseph Wu
phoenyx
Location: A little town in the middle of nowhere where I can fold undisturbed... I'm not telling you where!

Post by phoenyx »

school... or TV or video games or reading or this forum or my boyfriend or ......... the list goes on, tis a wonder i get anything done! ](*,)
Take time to talk like a pirate today.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

ford racing 3 and gran turismo (psp) are the games that distract me from origami and i really like to draw on paper and draw things on inkskape. but i still fold everyday, today is still only morning and ive already folded hideo komatsu's wolf!