Paper crafts

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
stevieboy1

Paper crafts

Post by stevieboy1 »

Hi all I havent folded anything for the past couple of days been really busy with the kids of on school holidays. But after serching countles sites for origami stuff I came across papercraft. Ive seen some things like it but After serching a little more i found some Wall.E figures in paper craft that some one else had made so wanted to give it a go. I then found tons of papercraft things to make Really inticate models I didnt even know existed. :shock: So im gona give some of these ago.

Anyone else here made any of these papercraft things were you prind out all the parts and glue them together to make inticate models? If anyone has id love any help tips or advice anyone can offer.

I posted this here as its not origami related, other than it is still a paper model as such lol/ :roll:

Kind regards
Steve :D
Take a look at my flicker if you wish...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34942570@N05/
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Yep, done a bit of that. Here's some tips I can offer:

A good, sharp knife is essential, as is a good cutting mat. Pen-grip knives give you better cutting control than utility knives, but with enough practice, you can get similar results with either one.

If you're printing colour and patterns on the paper, use paper that can hold the colour well. Otherwise the ink will run when you get the slightest bit of moisture on (eg glue from the back) and you get streaky patterns. :( Better yet, just fold everything from white paper first, and then paint on the colours yourself!

The nozzles of glue bottles are usually too big and allow too much glue to flow. Using a stick will allow you to put just the right amount of glue on. Just slice off an ice cream stick or a chopstick at an angle to get a sharp wedge, then use this end to apply the glue.

Here's a really cool model that I found just recently:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Walking ... h_Warrior/
Gonna see if I can just keep the mechanism and have interchangeable mechs on it. :)
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

I love making papercraft. It's my second favourite hobby (first is origami!). I am a member at the Nintendo Papercraft forum, which has lots of members, designing lots of papercraft.

Another good place to look for model is the Papercraft Museum. It has almost all of the papercraft ever made, and has a good search function. It has a huge variety of difficulty also.

Good luck
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Cool I will take a look at the papercraft musium see what they got there.

ive been hooked on making the Wall.E movie robots at the mo very fidely with all the tinny little bits frustrating but keeping me happy for hours on end lol.

I love the bumbulbee transformer and the black pearl sailing ship and...........to many the list go on lol.

Thanks for the tip I will have to see what tools i can get hold as they will come in very handy. I know what you mean about the ink running when the glue gets on it. :roll: But its not been to bad. dont help with all the white parts lol.

Any ways back to the cutting sticking and modeling. :D

I may even join the paper craft forum to but will see.:wink:

Kind regards
Steve. :D
Take a look at my flicker if you wish...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34942570@N05/
Mars

Post by Mars »

I have made a couple of models from The SF Paper Gallery, and some advice to give you is that when you use a glue bottle with a nozzle, twist the nozzle very slightly so that only a little glue comes out. The best paper to use I would think is card stock paper because it's very sturdy unlike regular printing paper that will become flimsy when you apply glue. Most of all, take your time, and have fun.
:wink:
Keep on trying, it will work.
barakboom

Post by barakboom »

I made some paper crafts.
And i think this one is the best ever (it looks real!):

here is the link for the eagle:
http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3157/03392/index.html

just print, cut glue and you got it :D.
I have done also other things from this website:
http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/1006/

You should really try this out.
This models are amazing ( i also did the dragon, bear , castle and more :P).
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

WHAT?!? *&^%$#@ non-purists..... :wink: . No, seriously, these look cool :shock: . I'm going to try!
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i do papercraft also! im making a gundam bust thing ;)
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

Do you mean you can cut and glue paper without your hands bleeding?! :shock:

:lol: my brother does papercraft, he made a samus that looks really cool
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

in kindergarten i did origami then i quit for a few years then i was in my room one day and saw robert langs book. i picked it up and folded a bird, and i was addicted again. then i was on an origami website and saw some papercraft guns. so i made guns for a while, then i gave one to my friend and he stuck it in his sink and turned on the garbage disposal thingy and killed it. after that i have stuck with origami :lol: now i think i will just do both :D
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

here is part of the gundam im building http://www.flickr.com/photos/origslater ... otostream/
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Yuck...papercraft.

I find paper craft messy. All the little slices of paper littering the table. The glue on your fingers. The fact you are using many sheets of paper.

Origami is the one for me. Modular origami is an exception for multipiece as it is usually from a regular size and shape of paper.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Razzmatazz wrote: I find paper craft messy. All the little slices of paper littering the table. The glue on your fingers.
I think you're doing it wrong then; papercraft is in no way messy if you put some thought into what you're doing. For instance, don't put drops of glue directly on tabs, but use toothpicks to apply a very thin layer of glue. You shouldn't get any glue on your fingers this way and the model will likely end up looking a lot neater.

I like the process of designing papercraft models. Creating a 3D model in 3DS Max and eventually seeing it standing on your table is a very rewarding experience.
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

i dont do paper craft with cutting or glueing but my brother does heres a website

http://www.papertoys.com/
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Adam wrote: I think you're doing it wrong then; papercraft is in no way messy if you put some thought into what you're doing. For instance, don't put drops of glue directly on tabs, but use toothpicks to apply a very thin layer of glue. You shouldn't get any glue on your fingers this way and the model will likely end up looking a lot neater.

I like the process of designing papercraft models. Creating a 3D model in 3DS Max and eventually seeing it standing on your table is a very rewarding experience.
I do the toothpick, even sometimes I use a stick to make it ultra neat. But glue has a way with my fingers. But there is still cut paper all around me.

I find origami much more satisfying.