who programs

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
mrguy

Re: who programs

Post by mrguy »

I program in Java mostly. I have tryed HTML with Java script and made a few things with that. I just enjoy making games and phisics simulations with shapes. and dots. and lines. I have yet to attempt to diagram or design with it. I want to try that though
Dj origami

Post by Dj origami »

JavaScript mostly.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

cool what programs have you made?
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
easysid

Post by easysid »

Dj origami wrote:JavaScript mostly..
I have to learn that one. Everything seems to be using it now. Know a good source, for a newbie?
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Java isn't that great of a language for usability and all that. I'd head towards C# or C+/+ if I were you.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Squeak or Pharo are better than C C++. C# is good but squeak is the best ;) in my opinion
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

A friend of mine has expressed an interest in learning to code, and that has inspired me to get back into it a bit.
I've found a nice little BASIC interpreter that runs on Android phones (X11 BASIC is the name of the App if you're interested.), so for the last couple of days I've been polishing up my BASIC skills by writing a program to solve sudoku puzzles.
It's not complete yet, but it's getting there.

BASIC was the first programming language I learnt so it's nice to get back to my roots, and I thought it would be a good starting point for teaching my friend too.

OrigamiGeek wrote:Squeak or Pharo are better than C C++. C# is good but squeak is the best ;) in my opinion
What criteria are you using to judge that one language is better than another? Care to provide the reasoning behind your conclusions?
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

ok that is my opinion but here we go.
squeak is differn't than any other language. what I mean by that is how many languages have you programmed in, that you can be playing around with your program and code at the same time and your program will do what you just programmed?

squeak is purely Object oriented I know there are others but it is cool.

in squeaks debugger you can program all you want with out having to go back the the system browser.

you can do any thing is squeak. I mean if you want to change something in the system it is open to you but if you don't know what you are doing than it is actually a disadvantage but if you know what your doing it is very good.

I will explain more of my opinion later ;)
easysid

Post by easysid »

spiritofcat wrote: BASIC was the first programming language I learnt so it's nice to get back to my roots, and I thought it would be a good starting point for teaching my friend too.
I'd suggest go with Python. Easy to use and produces spectacular results.
OrigamiGeek wrote:Squeak or Pharo are better than C C++. C# is good but squeak is the best ;) in my opinion
As this is origami forum and I have moved past these things, I'd say : To each his own.*

*( as long as its not visual basic or Java )
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

easysid wrote:
spiritofcat wrote: BASIC was the first programming language I learnt so it's nice to get back to my roots, and I thought it would be a good starting point for teaching my friend too.
I'd suggest go with Python. Easy to use and produces spectacular results.
Yeah, I've worked with Python a bit before and I'm a big fan of it too, but I couldn't find a good free Python interpreter app for Android devices.
easysid

Post by easysid »

spiritofcat wrote: Yeah, I've worked with Python a bit before and I'm a big fan of it too, but I couldn't find a good free Python interpreter app for Android devices.
What about online interpreters and ide's?
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

easysid wrote:
spiritofcat wrote: Yeah, I've worked with Python a bit before and I'm a big fan of it too, but I couldn't find a good free Python interpreter app for Android devices.
You got some to suggest for me?
easysid

Post by easysid »

spiritofcat wrote:
easysid wrote:
You got some to suggest for me?
Try this
http://www.pythontutor.com/visualize.html#

More links here on SO :)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3356390/is-there-an-online-interpreter-for-python-3

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2737539/python-3-online-interpreter-shell
snkhan
Administrator

Post by snkhan »

I'm teaching myself Objective-C via Lynda.com. Coming from a web background there are several new concepts to learn and understand, such as memory management.
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
mathskid

Post by mathskid »

HTML, HTML5, XHTML, CSS, CSS3, Javascript, Java, Python, C, C++ and I'm learning ruby
wait a sec, I've just got to do this fold.