3D Origami Blue-Red Dragon

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
TheWhitePianoKey

3D Origami Blue-Red Dragon

Post by TheWhitePianoKey »

So, Like the couple of last months (4 or so), I ALWAYS try to film when I folding so that I can create a timelapse, and I personally just find them super cool!
I'm very proud on one of them, my Blue-Red Dragon, because it just looks so awesome!
It's only 1 minute long, and I think you'll love it :)

So I also have a lot of other origami sped-up videos, They are all on that channel, so you could just browse it, but here is a playlist that contains all of them! How convenient
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... BGHRt_pjdJ

Thank you for reading! that's really kind of you :D
phillipcurl

Re: 3D Origami Blue-Red Dragon

Post by phillipcurl »

@thewhitepianokey - technically 3d origami, not normal origami, but it is still really cool nevertheless. You have some neat papercraft videos on your channel, also :)

@wonko - awesome design. If I have time, I'll give it a try. Still trying to finish shaping two Kamiya models from CP's...
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
mathskid

Post by mathskid »

Really cool. I'm making a 500 piece swan out of those same pieces! Love the channel, hope to see more soon.

Subscribers +1!

-mathskid
wait a sec, I've just got to do this fold.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

phillipcurl wrote:technically 3d origami, not normal origami
Technically golden venture, not origami.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

ah whatever the name is. i've never heard it referred to as golden venture, but you learn something new every day.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Chinese Modular unit, Golden Venture, Tangrami and 3D Origami all refer to the same, even though I think that the term "3D Origami" is very misleading and should be avoided and "Tangrami" is just a new word to sell something old. So in my opinion when talking about this kind of modular technique "Golden Venture" and "Chinese Modular unit" describe it way better and are not as easily confused with other things.
TheWhitePianoKey

mathskid wrote:Really cool. I'm making a 500 piece swan out of those same pieces! Love the channel, hope to see more soon.
Subscribers +1!
mathskid
My first 3D was A 40 piece turtle: http://aarrnnoo0123.deviantart.com/art/ ... 7306&qo=64
After that I made my first swan, because I was just in love with 3D origami ;) it's a good practice to start getting into it :)
And thank you for the sub! I really appreciate it ;) It's hard to get new ones since my channel is a mix of origami and piano, so sometimes people don't sub because they don't like origami or don't like piano :(
origami_8 wrote:Chinese Modular unit, Golden Venture, Tangrami and 3D Origami all refer to the same, even though I think that the term "3D Origami" is very misleading and should be avoided and "Tangrami" is just a new word to sell something old. So in my opinion when talking about this kind of modular technique "Golden Venture" and "Chinese Modular unit" describe it way better and are not as easily confused with other things.
Thanks for the info, and yes, I kinda agree now. Problem is that everyone knows about it as "3D origami". When anyone asks about it, everyone will aways say: 3D origami, just google it.
Also: 3D origami has this ring to it that makes it an easy to remember. People will also think about the 3D origami I'm talking about. For me there are actually 3 main categories:
-Origami: one sheet origami, but sometimes also 2 or 3, when making a zebra for example that consist out of 2 pieces.
-Modular Origami: A construction made out of 1 or 2 or 3 of the same units, a lot of them put together to create a shape.
-3D origami: using the triangular pieces to create big 3D looking things (mostly)

but for this last one you'll have these awesome things: http://www.deviantart.com/art/3d-origam ... -345029866
They are made out of the triangular pieces, but also a lot of different kinds, or some of them cut.
A bit like the Skarner I made: http://youtu.be/RHCUBxZX78A
Don't know if these should be put in that catogorie to.
phillipcurl wrote:@thewhitepianokey - technically 3d origami, not normal origami, but it is still really cool nevertheless. You have some neat papercraft videos on your channel, also :)
nope, it's not normal origami ... it's 3D origami :D And thank you ;)
TheWhitePianoKey

? Why is my long reply to everyone gone all of the sudden?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

A moderator has to approve three of your posts before you can post freely, so your good now. I or Anna just hadn't read it yet.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
TheWhitePianoKey

Ow okay, I was already worried all posts had to be approved. And that would be kinda annoying, but it's okay now, perfect!
eudaimonia

Post by eudaimonia »

I really don't like this kind of ... origami. Compared to classic origami, it's to easy.
TheWhitePianoKey

well easy ... it has its hard parts. And yeah, nothing goes beyond real origami, but this is one of his own kinds, it looks nice, doesn't have to be hard to look nice.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Indeed. Don't worry about our harping on golden venture. We are all purists here.

Personally I have had a respect for modular origami as I have never been able to assemble it well. Also the patience it takes. Incredible.
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

I made the 500 piece swan, but that was my one and only venture into this style of origami. great work on the dragon!