spiritofcat

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Thanks for the support, ted385.
Oh, do you still have that 25 cube tessellation?
I'd love to see a photo now that you've got a working camera!

I did some more work on my box pleating:

Well I'm one step closer to making that box pleated animal.
This time I was using the left over bit of the A4 sheet I made the Octopus from.

I hadn't fully thought out how I was going to make the front legs, so I just sort of did the same thing as the back legs, but obviously this time they were made from the edge rather than the corner.
The thing I forgot to factor in was that this would also create a flap from the middle.
I was planning to make the front legs, and then work on making the head, with a new flap, but suddenly I've got a spare flap here right above the legs anyway.
That's fine, except that I've still got all this spare paper that I could also use.
No big drama though, since as Anna was quick to remind me, the Ancient Proverbs of Origami say " Better too many flaps than one missing flap", and "To hide a flap is easier than to attach one"
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

I still wonder what you are going to do with so much remaining paper. Is the creature that you are planning to make have a long neck, or does it have an extremely detailed head. Either way, I wish you good luck. A4 paper is freakin weak, when I did my box pleated dragon 'n' pheonix, it tore in my first few attempts. I absolutely detest it, but no choice anyway.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

I won't use all the rest of the paper. It was just there to make sure I had enough and didn't run out half way through.

Although, maybe I could make a model of two dogs kissing or something.

Yeah, copy paper isn't the best, I normally only use it when I need to fold something big.
I only used it this time because the long thin offcut was lying around after I'd made the octopus.
I'll use the receipt paper again next time. It's nice and strong, yet thin too.
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

Well, I have an exhibition of some of my folds at my local librarie at the moment, and the tessellation is part of that
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Receipt paper? Interesting. However, they are usually too small and do not come in square sizes (All my designs are made from squares). Do you know how to purchase large size receipt paper?
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

The receipt paper that I use is 8cm wide, and potentially as long as I want it to be.
It's that themal paper that goes black on one side if you heat it up.
Same sort of thing they used for fax machines in the early days.
Perhaps you can still buy A4 width rolls for use with old fax machines...

Edit: Did some googling, and it looks like thermal fax paper is definitely still out there. Probably available from your local office supplies store.
Here in Australia you can get rolls that are 21cm wide by 30m long for $3.99 or 50m long for $4.49 from officeworks.com.au
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Some more birdbase spaceships.
These ones come with built-in stands so they can be displayed in flying poses.

The shape of the one on the right is inspired by the Arwing fighter from the Starfox Nintendo games.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Dimetrodon
My own design.
Folded from 8 by 8cm themal receipt paper.

Didn't really design it to be a Dimetrodon. I was more just fiddling with a basic animal shape and it turned out like one.

Redheads Bowl
My own design.
Folded from the wrapping that boxes of matches come in.

Based on a sunk waterbomb base.
Mostly just an experiment, playing with box shapes and colour change.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

The Last Waltz. Designed by Neil Elias.
Folded by me, from 8cm by 23cm rectangle of thermal receipt paper.
Folded from instructional video by Sara Adams: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 45C27646BC

This is my first time folding this model, but I found it quite easy to do with the help of Sara's videos.

My paper was white on both sides, but if you use two colour paper then each figure is its own colour.

The paper I used contains thermal pigments though, so if I heat it up, the man figure should turn black.
I decided to take some photos before I try that though, just in case it goes wrong.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

I double dare you to heat it up...
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

ted385 wrote:I double dare you to heat it up...
You're on!

Here it is:

Same model as before, but I put it in the oven for a little while to try to activate the thermal pigment of the paper.

The result was not exactly what I expected.
I thought the man would turn black, and the woman would stay white, but instead, the woman browned and the man stayed white. Interesting.

Anyway, even if the colouration didn't turn out as I expected, it still worked out quite well. You can definitely see the difference in colour between the two figures, and I think the brown colour gives it a nice old-fashioned look, like a sepia photograph.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Nice Last waltz! Always liked Neal Elias' pieces.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

I made a CP/Diagram for my Dimetrodon.

I'm still learning how to use Inkscape, so the diagram isn't perfectly accurate.
The long cross shaped creases are in the correct place, but the V shaped ones are only drawn in their approximate positions.
To find them by folding, just make both angles marked "a" equal, and then bisect the remaining angle to give the two equal "b" angles.
I hope that makes sense.

Also, the position of the crimps is not exact. Just fold them wherever you feel works best for you.
You can see in the photo, that I folded the crimp at the head end shorter than the one at the tail end.

I've only diagrammed it up to the base, I leave the shaping to you.

This is my first time making and sharing a diagram for a model, so I'd love to hear any feedback, and see any folds that people make from this.

Click for larger version.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Very nice model.

The half circle with a,a,b,b in the top middle is a bit misleading, it would be more obvious what to do if you just delete it. Looking only at the small version it could be mistaken to be angle quarters.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

The dimetrodon looks clean and simple. Why don't you fold a wetfolded one like adams chen.
PS: adams chen, that is a cool model, one of my faves