spiritofcat

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Another entry for the October challenge.
Box Pleated from 8cm x 8cm paper.
16 x 16 grid.
I was trying to see how much detail and sculpting I could create from a relatively low-resolution pleating.

I'm pretty happy with the result. I managed to achieve hair, fingers (Only 3 though), bust, skirt and feet.
I tried to put some detail into the face but it was just too fiddly at that size.

While working on box pleated designs for human figures, I stumbled upon a configuration that I think makes quite a nice sword.
I think this is the first time I've done a box pleated design with diagonal symmetry.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
emberjelly

Post by emberjelly »

Hey Spritofcat,
I like the work you've done with Tesselations a lot!

Also i see the later photos getting clearer and clearer.
Either you have a new camera or that advice on photography you got a while back has worked wonders :wink:

Keep up the good folding,
Jerry
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

cool swords :D
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Thanks Jerry.
I think it has been the same camera the whole time. I believe I've changed the settings on it a bit and probably got better at using it.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Nice swords! Is it possible to colour-change the blades?
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

It might be possible to colour change the blades. Or more accurately I'd say to colour change the hilts and leave the blades as they are.
I'll fold one from 2 colour paper and see what I can do.

Edit:
Done!
Here it is:
From Blue and Cyan paper. 15x15cm.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

I was experimenting with making birdbases on a blintzed fish base and ended up with what I think is the same base as the blintzed bird base I use for my gryphons.
Anyway, this time I found the impression of an echidna in all those many spiky flaps.

Echidnas are a tricky subject for Origami. They have so many spikes, and the spikes are so long and thin. It would be very hard to produce a highly realistic model from one square.

I've seen another echidna model which was had many spikes and was very nice, but the spikes were very short.
Having met a couple of echidnas in real life, I feel that one of the defining characteristics of them is the shape and length of the spikes.
So here is my model, with nowhere near a realistic number of spikes, but with a shape I find more satisfying.
Last edited by spiritofcat on June 20th, 2012, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Nice! It just needs some touching up here and there.
spiritofcat

Re: Gallery of spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

I'm back!

After almost 2 years of inactivity, I'm back into the online origami scene.

I designed this dragon quite a while ago, but I'm only now getting around to taking photos of it.

It's from a bird-base, but with some modifications to give the proportionally large wings and thin neck and tail that I found lacking in a lot of other simple dragon designs I've seen.

You can click on the images to see the 3D versions on my 3DPorch page.

Here are a few more images of the same model, this time taken with my phone instead of my 3DS to show the details with more clarity.
These ones aren't available in 3D.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Re: spiritofcat

Post by Razzmatazz »

SPIRITOFCAT! YOU ARE BACK! AND YOU HAVE A 3DS? WE MUST EXCHANGE FRIENDCODES :D

Anyways. That's a nice design. I particularly like the shape of the wings. Lovely :)

And welcome back once again. I took nearly a year hiatus from origami before I came back to the forums. I have also been off and on. But nice to see you are still folding.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

My 3DS friend code is 4897 5956 4941

Yeah, I haven't exactly been on hiatus. I've still been folding a bit, and attending my monthly origami club meetings.
I decided to jump back into the forum now though since there is an Australian origami convention coming up later this year. I'm planning to attend that, and maybe even teach a couple of my own designs there, so I thought I should make sure I was up to date with what's happening in origami on the internet.

I'm glad you like my dragon. It's a fairly simple design and I've sketched some diagrams for it but haven't got around to either scanning them or re-drawing them digitally yet.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

What is yours? I just want to put in what ever your mii name is because "spiritofcat" does not fit in name section. :P

Ah yeah, my hiatus was a result of exams in school. Pesky things. I hope to get into the habit of folding during the summer though. And origami conventions; are they fun? I never have been to one, being in Canada and all. It's difficult. Only Canadian province to have an origami convention is BC and I am in Ontario so it's a bit a ways. Expensive stuff, flying and all.
And an inquiry on the dragon: you state that you had a few modifications to the birdbase in order to gain the thin neck/tail and large wings. Do these modifications include altering the original crease pattern much like Maekawa's crane does (Maekawa's deformation of an orizuru: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6005/5981 ... 43b7_z.jpg)?
Last edited by Razzmatazz on July 4th, 2018, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

My Mii's name is Fuzzy.

I've only ever been to one origami convention before and that was Folding Australia 2009.
It was a fairly small affair, but still a lot of fun. It ran over the course of a weekend, with two streams of activities going for most of the time. The activities mostly consisted of people teaching models that they had designed, or other intersting things like modulars and an introduction to 'scrunching'.
The weekend ended with a screening of "Between the Folds", a documentary which had been produced quite recently at the time.

My dragon doesn't use a distortedbird base like that.
It starts with a standard birdbase and then it uses some sinking to modify the proportions.
I think I'll scan and upload my sketched diagrams and maybe that will spur me on towards redrawing them digitally and making them a bit more presentable.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Time for some more pictures!

First of all, here are the sketched diagrams for my dragon.
I don't know if they're much use to anyone in this state, but at least I'm one step closer to making them presentable now.
If you want to have a go of folding this, I'd suggest leaving the feet until last because they'll get in the way a bit when you're trying to shape the wings and head otherwise.
I only put them first in the diagram because it was easier to show the steps at that point.

And now, we move onto another of my designs.
This is my Gryphon.
I designed it quite a long time ago, well before the dragon, but until now I never got around to uploading photos of it.
It comes from a blintzed birdbase
You can find 3D photos of it on my 3DPorch page: http://www.3dporch.com/users/spiritofcat
Or just look at the 2D photos here:

Note, for size comparison, this gryphon was folded from larger paper than the dragon in the previous photos.
They generally come out about the same size as each other when folded from the same size of paper.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Ah, I see how your dragon is made now. That's pretty cool!

And your gryphon is nice. You have a lot more detail in yours than mine. But yes, very nice. Again, I like the wings.