Legionzilla

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

I agree with spiritofcat. Also, your models need a little more shaping to show off their true potential. But....

origamimasterjared wrote:
Stay away from the complex stuff--you are not ready for it. Fold nice intermediate things.
this I don't agree with. In my early days, I folded loads of complex stuff and actually completed about 10 percent of it. But it helped me to no end, in both understanding design techniques and folding accuracy.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Now, that's not meant to discourage you, but you have a lot to work on before trying to shake up the origami world with your own contributions.
Actually, I do fold other people's designs alot. However, they end up too crappy too be posted. Like when I folded Carnotaurus sasterie, the paper got too sweaty and nearly tore, you know the times when the paper starts thinning. Usually, I fold from diagrams, and half the time I get stuck cos I attempt pieces that are too hard: Kamiya T-rex
Or those that require a larger sheet of paper: Ancient Dragon
So, for a matter of fact, I do fold pieces by others, just that they are too hard. Maybe it is just my maturity and inability to understand many instructions or to get a larger sheet of paper so thanks for the advice.
Anyway, most of the designs here are actually designed over the course of a year, it is just when my dad allows me to post all the photos in the computer at one go, so it may seem that I'm actually designing very often.
You have got to concentrate on folding. Just folding. Stay away from the complex stuff--you are not ready for it. Fold nice intermediate things. Focus on making neat folds, make sure your angle bisectors actually bisect the angles, be careful on those sinks, etc.
Right now I'm keeping away from folding ancient dragons. Nowadays, I fold from the Origami Sea life book. The pieces there are relatively easy and most just require larger sheets of paper.
Anyway, Jared, could you teach me what are angle bisectors, are they the thingys you see on crease patterns (those things which I call landmarks).
Also, you appear to be folding from some of the worst paper imaginable. Wet-folded printer paper is an absolute, definite no-no. Indeed, stay away from wet-folding altogether, it's an advanced technique, and usually NOT appropriate for anything that complex. And it should only be attempted with heavy large paper, which itself takes a lot of experience to be able to wield.
If only I have better paper.......
Anwyay, I've only wetfolded one time successfully, ya know, the wolf thing, so, I gave up. I also fold from large paper (see Western and Eastern Dragon) and I think I tried folding some complex pieces by Lang from it before.
Get some ordinary cheap origami paper. Fold that. Try getting some around 10 inches. Once you've really got the folding down, for complex multi-layered things, you can try some paper-backed foil (Japanese foil). Be careful you don't try to mash anything into place.
If only I can purchase such paper.....

Anyway, Jared, thanks for all the advice, I will start folding pieces even more!
Legionzilla, it also seems that you rush through your models. It may have something to do with your paper, I know, but it is absolutely key that you get your creases sharp and accurate.
There are 2 reasons why that happens. Firstly, I sometimes fold untidily, but nowadays, this is rare, unless it is pleating. Secondly is the paper. printer paper eventually wears down and IKEA paper is really crap and impossible to fold with.
Althought Jared sounds a bit harsh in his advice, I find that I have to agree with him.
Don't worry, his comments are not harsh, in fact they are quite comforting.
In my early days, I folded loads of complex stuff and actually completed about 10 percent of it. But it helped me to no end, in both understanding design techniques and folding accuracy.
Hey, that sounds like me!

To sum up, I like to thank everybody for taking their time to give me their advice, some of your are very busy, so thank you. Jared Needle even wrote an essay for me! I strive to improve, thank you!
Cephalopod

Post by Cephalopod »

Angle bisectors are just lines which bisect the angle into two equal parts.

Kami paper should be quite easy to get, which country are you in? It's certainly the easiest paper to order from the internet.
Visit my flickr gallery! Please :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38104997@N08/
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Thank You, Cephalopod, about the bisector thingy.
Anyway, I live in Singapore.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I hear there's this shop called "Fancy Papers" in Singapore that has quite a good selection of paper:

http://www.fancypapers.com/
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Origami Sea Life is one of my favorite origami books. It has a wide range of intermediate to complex models that are great for the advancing folder-it is the book I used to advance to folding complex things. Most if not all of the models in that book should be foldable with 10" foil paper-you can find that easily online, or maybe even in an art store. I recommend Japanese foil over American foil-it is thinner and easier to work with.

If you are willing to invest some time in your paper, you can try your hand at making tissue foil. It is better than most commercial papers and is cheap and fairly easy to make. There are plenty of threads about tissue foil around the forum, but if you are having trouble finding info on tissue foil, feel free to PM me.

Wrapping paper can also be good for folding, and is cheap and readily available. This, of course, depends on the kind of wrapping paper you get. I believe some wrapping papers are made with foil, which is great for the kind of models it sounds like you are folding. I have not personally folded with wrapping paper, but try it if you feel inclined. The best way to find a paper that works for you is to try anything and everything and see how it folds.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

There are many excellent folders in Singapore.... Aren't there some Origami clubs ?

- Hank Simon
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Thanks everybody for their help!
The Fancy Paper shop site is under construction, do you know where it is?
Anyway, I'll try and make tissue foil. Is it something like American or Japanese foil?
And why does my wrapping paper models keep collapsing? Whenever I fold something, it cannot stand!
Anyway, once again, thanks!
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Eileen Tan (aka Wolf, I think) lives in singapore, maybe you could try and contact her?
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Thanks! We had a long discussion on her on page 2.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Dang, I always come late to parties.

Anyhoo...

Fancy Papers is located at Bras Basah Road - it's more or less across the road from the main National Library building. They do not open on Sundays. While you're there, hop over to Art Friend at Bras Basah Complex. They've got quite a bit of paper too. Look for something called 'butter paper' - it's cheap and strong, which makes it good for prototyping complex designs.

For tissue foil making guides, you can't beat the videos shown in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=764

Buy the cheapest foil you can - the cheap foils are usually much thinner, which makes it absolutely lousy for barbeques, but that's what you need in tissue foil. The Giant supermarkets sell double packs of their 37" housebrand foil for quite a low price. Stay away from Reynolds - it's thicker and more expensive, and really you're just paying for the brand name.

If you plan on making a lot of tissue foil, it becomes much cheaper to buy it in bulk at baking stores such as these: http://www.phoonhuat.com/sto_loc.htm
Paid something like SGD$40 for a humongously long roll of foil that I've yet to reach the end of.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Butter paper, sounds interesting......
Buy the cheapest foil you can - the cheap foils are usually much thinner
Yeah, like th 'tissue foil' that can be found at POPULAR.
Anyway, thanks for revealing the imformation on the FANCY PAPERS store.
I'll check out those videos.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Haven't posted here for a loooong time...
Turtle by Steven Webber

And some old designs...

Blizzardy 1.2
Invented: Somewhere in March this year
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Pheonix 1.2
Image[/img]
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Flying Crane by Eileen Tan
Folded by- me
EDIT:
Last edited by legionzilla on June 23rd, 2009, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.