kareshi

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
kareshi

Re: Kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Redid my Dozen Roses with larger paper. Looks nice on a piano!

Goku

Post by Goku »

Great model, that's a clever design !
My blog Take a look at it ! ;-)
My Flickr album
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Refined and remade last year's design with larger paper, just a 48" roll of orange/white paper from a craft store.

3-D Jack O' Lantern
by Daniel Brown

1. Dividing it into 40ths diagonally. These set up the pleats and landmarks you use to make the face parts along the edges of the paper.

2. Folding the sides into the center, you get the face. Pockets and flaps hold it together between the eyes and along the upper lip.

3. Now made into an octagonal prism, laying on its back. After this photo, I tried standing it up, but the weight of the paper was too much for the one-layer-thin lower jaw area. Had I made a smaller version, or used tissue foil, it would have stood up just fine. For this model, I added a few supporting cardstock jaw implants and some tape here and there just to tighten him up a little. This photo is before all the fancy touchups, so you can see that the design works pretty well without all that help (just weighed too much in this case!)
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

4. Outside, unlit.

5. Outside, lit. The LED flashlight was giving off a blueish light, which didn't work. So I covered it with tracing paper with orange marker on it, and the light color was better.
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Wow, I love that jack o lantern...I would feel really sad if it rained though...

And looking through your designs, they look fantastic! How's progress on the book coming along?

Oh, and is there any chance on diagrams on the Spine dragon though? I would really like to see how you split those wing spines. Even a few sketches would be cool.
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

i would pay for those pumpkin diagrams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please!!!!!!
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

I'm hung up trying to learn Inkscape! Whenever I think I get it, I just get stuck on the next step. So who knows how long that'll take.
Spine dragon needs proper diagrams, so when I have more time with Inkscape maybe I can finally get started.

In the meantime, here are some sketches for the 3-D Jack 'O Lantern. I hope it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9071
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

轆轤首 (Rokurokubi)
by Daniel Brown
10/25/2011

This is a Japanese ghost that looks like a normal person by day, and at night can stretch out its neck to go around scaring or spying on people.
It's made from a kite base.
Happy Halloween!

joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

kareshi wrote:I'm hung up trying to learn Inkscape! Whenever I think I get it, I just get stuck on the next step. So who knows how long that'll take.
Spine dragon needs proper diagrams, so when I have more time with Inkscape maybe I can finally get started.

In the meantime, here are some sketches for the 3-D Jack 'O Lantern. I hope it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9071
Even that is awesome! I'm very grateful for those sketches, i'll give it my best show before halloween :D
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Good luck with inkscape and thanks for the reply, Kareshi (Mr. Brown?). Maybe someone with some inkscape experience can help you out on the forum. Also, Very nice Rokurokubi! I like its simple style yet elegant--when I saw the ghost I immediately thought of Spirited Away and Pom Poko. Hooray for children's anime!

Please, please, tell me when your book comes out--I really want to buy it! :D
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

I have a little more updating to do in this gallery, but for now I thought I'd share my new CP, for the spine dragon.
It's just the base, so some things aren't noted (the head, the additional thinning of the wings, etc)

Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Yay! Spine dragon cp!! :D :D

I just wish I could fold that cp--it looks too difficult for me :l
kareshi

Re: Original Works of Daniel Brown (Kareshi)

Post by kareshi »

I've got some catching up to do! Let me work on it some.

Mummy:

Mummy in box, one sheet of paper. The trick here was to have a color change only for the mummy part, surrounded by an all-black (inside and out!) box. Try to figure that one out! My solution ended up costing a lot of paper (resulting in much final model size reduction,) but I haven't let finished-model-scale be a basis for revising a design. Just use larger paper! I like seeing casual people react to the one-sheet, no-cuts rule when I show them this! Also, it seems that "thing in a thing" is a theme of mine that comes up often. Watch out for stuff inside containers when I post a new design, they're fun.

The mummy is more sculpted than folded, the bands are obviously just pleats but the whole body shape, arms, legs, are not made with standard origami folds, you just gotta know what you want and shape it.

Next time I'll add another layer of tissue so the foil doesn't show through.
diego-origami-brasil

Post by diego-origami-brasil »

Cool! Such a nice color changed model.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Still catching up!

Cupcake
by Daniel Brown
from 11/15/2011

Designed for our 3-year wedding anniversary. Made from a single uncut square.
It's closed from top to bottom. This of course makes the last steps pretty tough and you're trying to shape the frosting without being able to reach inside for support. I'm not 100% on how to shape the frosting, so it just kind of gets improvised. Here's the design: picture a white circle with four long strips of brown coming out from the sides. The white circle gets folded into the paper baking up and the four strips get folded over each other up top to make the frosting!
I've got a good base (modified pinwheel base) but I need to nail down the final steps before I diagram it.