kareshi

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
kareshi

kareshi

Post by kareshi »

[originally: Daniel Brown's Original Works]

I've been holding off on making a gallery until I built up a nice collection of models, and now I guess I'll get this started!

My name is Daniel Brown, I'm 28 years old and I live in Virginia, USA.
I've been into origami for 20+ years. My first complex book was Origami Sea Life, which I forced myself to learn how to fold all the models since nobody around me was doing origami. I collected all the good books I came across as they came out, then got into Japanese imports.

I went to the Origami USA convention 1993... it was FOCA back then. I met a lot of great authors and had a great time. I hope to go back again soon.

At age 11 I got my own article in the local paper with pictures & everything. That was pretty cool.

When I got married in 2008, my wife and I had made 1400 Kawasaki roses that made up all the centerpieces, bouquets, table settings, etc.

I'm working on a bunch of original models now, planning on making a book next year. I don't know anything about computer diagrams, so I suppose I should figure out which one's best to use.

So... here's some of my stuff!
Last edited by kareshi on December 22nd, 2011, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Concert Grand Piano

This is a recent revision of a piano I made in the late 1990's. I majored in piano performance in college so it's a big part of my life. Grand pianos aren't much represented in the origami world, and I like the way this design deals with the strange asymmetry of the subject.
I really can't find a spare flap for the pedals, so I suppose you could call it a harpsichord if you like. It may be possible with a pentagon, but I like squares.
This is made from duo tissue foil. It can be made with almost any paper, but foil really helps the legs to be stable.
I use this model as trophies for my piano students.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Rubik's Cube

I'm a big fan on rotational puzzles. This one's made from a 6-unit base cube (each unit has 36 pockets on the face) with added color tiles. The crease pattern is flexible and allows for making "big cubes" like 5x5x5 tiles and above, which I'll do someday.

Jack O' Lantern

My most recent design. Without cuts I managed to get real holes for eyes, nose, mouth instead of just a color-change, and he's 3-D and allows for being lit up from inside.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Shark Tooth and Shark Jaws

I collect shark teeth. I learned from Michael Lafosse's books that your best designs are from subjects you care about, and I like the way these came out.
The tooth is based on the shape of a Mako shark tooth.

The jaws are from 2 squares (top & bottom) because he's got so much blank space in the middle it would be unreasonable to make this from 1 square.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Dollar models:

Squid - Diagrams are here

Crab

Lobster
Image[/url]
Last edited by kareshi on October 15th, 2010, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Border Cube

A 6-unit modular cube where I had to design a flat, creaseless square bordered by the opposite side of the paper. It took a week of messing around before I found one where the flaps and pockets were the right size and lined up right.

Stand Mixer and Bowl

Like a Kitchenaid.

Toaster

One uncut square. Uses an action mechanism for popping toast.
endreon

Post by endreon »

Those are so cool, I really like your dollar bill models and the Rubik's cube. Can you make more diagrams?
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

awsome
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i think you should diagram the jackolantern! it makes a great halloween decoration :D
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

The Jack O'Lantern probably won't be diagrammed within the next 2 weeks, unfortunately (pretty busy) but here are some others' flat versions, if you'd like one:
http://www.origami-resource-center.com/ ... igami.html
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

ok thank you
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

kareshi wrote:The Jack O'Lantern probably won't be diagrammed within the next 2 weeks, unfortunately (pretty busy) but here are some others' flat versions, if you'd like one:
http://www.origami-resource-center.com/ ... igami.html
Will it ever be diagrammed?
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

I'm making a book and it will go in that. I need a good computer program, though, and time enough to learn how to use it well.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The most used programs for drawing Origami diagrams are Inkscape (Freeware), Macromedia Freehand (not continued but best program) and Adobe Illustrator (expensive but good).
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Rising zombie skeleton
10/19/10
Uncut square of duo tissue foil.

This was designed during a lunch break at my work - it's a pretty simple concept that just needs good shaping to be effective.
One corner's split into 5 points, the opposite corner is the gravestone, and the sides are folded in to get the color change.

With the One-Minute Bat, Jack O' Lantern, and this guy, it seems my book might end up being Advanced Halloween Origami - or at least make a decent-size section of a more varied book.