What have you folded lately?

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

cavemanboon wrote:john, i am not familiar with thai silk paper at all. any close up shot of the paper? and any idea what the thickness is? i also like the papers that u used for folding the yoda in your yahoo album. what type of papers are those?
Thai silk is also known as unryu or (I think) as mulberry paper. It's slightly thicker than tissue and has visible fibres running through it. I'll try to get a close up photo when the sun comes out again.

The Yoda is folded from a green tissue/aluminium foil/thai silk sandwich (at least I think it's thai silk).

I've no idea what sort of paper and art shops you have in Singapore, but here in Belfast there are a couple of places where you can pick up fancy papers, usually for about a pound for a 50 x 70 cm sheet.

Robert Lang recently mentioned using lokta paper on its own on the mailing list, but you can also foil back it (although it's slightly thicker again than thai silk). The penguin, mammoth and moose on my album were folded from lokta/foil/tissue sandwiches.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

cavemanboon wrote:thevoid, i have not folded gilgado's alien but IIRC, ben ball has a nice rendition in his website. let me know if u have any problems finding the site - i probably have it bookmarked somewhere.
it would be great if you could search the site for me in your bookmarks :)
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

thevoid wrote:it would be great if you could search the site for me in your bookmarks
here's the URL :
http://www.stanford.edu/~ballb/
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

john, thanks for the info. there are a few shops in singapore where one can find fancy papers but most of the papers are rather thick. anyway, a few days ago, i bought a few sheets of what the lady at the shop referred to as "handmade wrapping papers". the paper is kind of thin, with visible fibres running thru it. i tried folding with it (without foil backing) yesterday and well, it's foldable but it doesn't hold the creases as well as i wud like it to and it's kind of soft. this may be the thai silk/unryu that u are talking about. anyway, will try to take a close up shot of the paper when the weather gets better and show it to u. a lot of cloudy/rainy days over here lately .....
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

john, i tried to take some photos of the handmade paper which i mentioned in my earlier post and they turned out quite okay despite the cloudy weather. it seems that i can't post the images here unless they are already on the internet. don't have your email address but if u let me know privately, i can send the images to u and maybe u can let me know if the paper is thai silk or not.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

you can create a yahoo photoalbum for free... maybe this helps
saj

Post by saj »

Yeah just get a Yahoo! photo album. It's free and it means that you can also show off your work to the list!

If you need help setting an account up I'm sure someone will be able to help (I've not got an album myself but I'm presuming it's a fairly easy thing to set up).

Oh yeah, added a new Forum style (ashFuel). Hope you like it.

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

yes, just tell it, if you need help - its realy not hard..

btw - the new skin looks realy cool =) .. i´m using this now..
btw².. is it possible for users to create some cool skins for the board? (hehe.. just asking :roll: )
saj

Post by saj »

Yeah, if you can code in HTML and php then you can create some nice themes. The board is powered by phpBB2, and so I often download themes so that forum users have a little choice about how their forum should look like.

Anyway, to keep this on topic the last thing I folded was La Fosse's beautiful butterfly. I think I'll be making loads of these for Christmas cards (but I make the main origami piece a simple tree).

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I created a jellyfish then folded it out of white opalescent paper.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

i have created a oktaeder with one of those units in my avatar.. it was a present for birthday... =)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Like I wrote before, I've folded Isseis Skeleton, I've made two pictures today, and like to share them with you :)

http://wald.heim.at/wienerwald/551844/temp/trex.jpg
http://wald.heim.at/wienerwald/551844/temp/thead.jpg

greetings

Christian
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

this one looks realy good!

have done a good work on this, grats! :wink:

have to try this also :P
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

thevoid and saj, sorry for the late response. actually i already have a yahoo album. set it up quite some time back but every now and then, i wud have problems accessing the site and so i privatized it and sort of abandoned it. got something else to attend to now but will try to find the password for my yahoo album (i am sure i have written it somewhere ...) and post the images within the next few days. anyway, i was thinking it wud have been much easier for me to send the images directly to john instead of going thru the hassle of uploading it into an album etc but i guess some of u may be interested in seeing the paper that i was talking about.

btw saj, if u check my profile page, u will see the URL of my fotopic photo gallery. u can already see some of my folds in the gallery ...
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

Aha. Here's a website with images of unryu (Thai silk).

http://www.hollanders.com/thai/unryutissue.htm