Orimin

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
anonymous person

Re: Orimin

Post by anonymous person »

phillipcurl wrote:I agree, circle packing is much more efficient and less time consuming.
??
Circle packing is one of the worst methods of design! circle packed bases end up with silly incredibly hard to find references, bases in which the layers don't line up and awkward lumpy bases. It is a prime example if how, as I have said, a purely mathematical approach to design does not work in practice. 22.5 and 15 degree techniques are a lot better as layers line up, there are no lumpy awkward layers, no hard to find reference points AND the model is still efficient. With 22.5 and 15 degree bases you are not limited to normal, uniaxial bases but you are free to explore the infinite realms of completely nonaxial bases and be free to ficus on the shapes of things rather than the lengths of flaps, giving more accurate resemblances with less shaping. In short, using unit angles and ditching uniaxial bases makes origami a whole lot more interesting. Step away from ODS and enjoy these alternative methods of design.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I meant 22.5....i should edit that, should i.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Orimin

Post by Orimin »

diego-origami-brasil: Thank you!!!

Origami Jackson's Chameleon:

Orimin

Post by Orimin »

Origami fox:

Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That fox is cute! I like it!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

it looks like HT quyets
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Orimin

Post by Orimin »

Baltorigamist: Thank you!

phillipcurl: Maybe it is a little bit similar but my one is made from bird base :)
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

yours is clearly different, but what i meant is how you shaped it.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Orimin

Post by Orimin »

phillipcurl: Oh true pose is similar at back.

Origami Bubblebee:

Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

That's a really cute bug! I really like how it looks. Is it colourchangable?
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
Orimin

Post by Orimin »

Flame_Kurosei: Thanks! I dont think that colour change is possible because body flaps comes from middle of square. However I could change a colour on wings :)

Origami Peacock:

Orimin

Post by Orimin »

Origami Bat:

Orimin

Post by Orimin »

Origami Drakonas:

Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

anonymous person wrote:
phillipcurl wrote:I agree, circle packing is much more efficient and less time consuming.
??
Circle packing is one of the worst methods of design! circle packed bases end up with silly incredibly hard to find references, bases in which the layers don't line up and awkward lumpy bases. It is a prime example if how, as I have said, a purely mathematical approach to design does not work in practice. 22.5 and 15 degree techniques are a lot better as layers line up, there are no lumpy awkward layers, no hard to find reference points AND the model is still efficient. With 22.5 and 15 degree bases you are not limited to normal, uniaxial bases but you are free to explore the infinite realms of completely nonaxial bases and be free to ficus on the shapes of things rather than the lengths of flaps, giving more accurate resemblances with less shaping. In short, using unit angles and ditching uniaxial bases makes origami a whole lot more interesting. Step away from ODS and enjoy these alternative methods of design.
Ah-ha! Someone agrees with me about the circle packing part. I prefer 22.5 and 15 degree bases as you mentioned.

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Fluffy wrote:
anonymous person wrote:
??
Ah-ha! Someone agrees with me about the circle packing part. I prefer 22.5 and 15 degree bases as you mentioned.

Jake
Sounds like 22.5 and 15 degree bases are the way to go!
Can someone explain how to go about designing those though? Or direct me to a good resource I can learn from?
I've got some understanding of boxpleating, and I've read about circle packing in ODS but never really tried it because although the theory sounds great, the practical side looked like something of a nightmare.