Roodborst

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Roodborst

Post by roodborst »

So I'm still trying to perfect my own models, the rhino and the wolf. Recently I've finally found a store that sells some nice tissue, elephant hide and other types of paper. And I've been making tissue foil and cutting up heaps of squares, here are the results.

My wolf design, wich is finally in brown. Tissue foil 20 cm x 20 cm
Wolf roodborst foil 4 by roodborst078, on Flickr

Two models by other designers:
Diaz's Unicorn
Double Tissue foil (35cm x 35 cm)

He says that you should avoid tissue foil at the text going with the model, but I like the result. Made this bleuish/ silver combination especialy for this model

Satoshi Kamiya 's Coelophysis. 20cm x 20 cm double tissue

I've tried this model like 4 times already, but I've always got stuck. Now I made it with tissue foil and I had hardly any problems at all. Can't even remember where I got the lost the last times.
Took me like 10 minutes to get it standing for the pic btw and then cat my sniffed at it and it fell .... again

Ok now for the my own models that I wet folded from elephant hide.

Rhinoceros

I know... that Rhino again, but I'm still making slight improvements and it was nice to practise with wetfolding and my first time using elephant hide, wich is amazing I must say.

And now for the cream of the crop, My wolf design, folded from a piece of elephant hide paper of about 35cm x 35 cm.

Now this time I bought tape and elastic bands. I stuffed the model with papertowels then taped the model and used elastic bands to keep it in shape, to let it dry. I might even prefer the garbagebag 'twister', they are easier to determine the amount of stress you want to give to the paper.
Last edited by roodborst on October 30th, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

I really like the wolf :D
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Lioness from Lionel Albertino, diagrams can be found in safari origami.
Double tissue 25cm square

Leopard/ Guepard by Lionel Albertino, diagrams can also be found in safari origami.
Double tissue 25cm square

These two where a lot of fun to make. Although I was looking for a model that I could make while watching tv, these turned out to be a bit to complex to remember after just one fold.
Albertino got a really original way of folding animals. Especially the leopard is very ingenious, where you fold a flap inside a pouch to form the belly and another for the back.

Owl by Juan Landeta, diagrams in 'Liverpool convention pack 2008'
40 cm square of double tissue.

After seeing two owls in DadiK96's gallery I went searching for good owl model and found this one.
This one took me alot of time. I used tissue foil and this model got a lot of sinking and reverse folds. I also collapsed the model wrong so I had to backtrack and try again. Is this what they call a 'boxpleated model'?
Last edited by roodborst on October 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

really nice folds I like the owl so much I wish I had the skill to fold it :O
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

OrigamiGeek wrote:really nice folds I like the owl so much I wish I had the skill to fold it :O
It is not that difficult actually. It just takes a lot of time, there are not really any hard folds in it. It's just that tissue foil is not the best paper for this. It doesn't like to reverse fold, and that about all you do in this model.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

It is still really nice :D
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Yes it is a really nice owl. A lot more easy than the Blakiston's Fish Owl (wich I tried once but had to give up on half way trough) but still really nice. I've made two others in the meantime. The first one I made from memory, and i messed up the first reference point, so the model was slighty different, longer neck and couldn't get one leg right. But I used a piece of tissue with two different colors, so this time I noticed the colorchange on the wings. Since I made a huge load of tissue foil a few days ago I've made a new one, purple/ silver. I'll post a picture of the model as soon as I can!
Origamigeek, you should try the model, it not as hard as it looks. The lionness and the leopard were actually harder. You will need some thin paper, or a thicker larger sheet. The new ones I made with tissue foil of about 23cm x 23cm.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Here are the pictures of the owls:

Last edited by roodborst on October 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

After looking at some dragons I've tried making a dragonhead, wich worked.. well kinda. Since I had a nice head with two legs to start but no idea how to continue. Since it resembled some point in the diagrams of satoshi's chocobo, I changed it into a fantasy bird. This is the third fold of the model.

Also made dragon/ wyvern, but haven't taken a picture yet.
Last edited by roodborst on October 30th, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Is that Leopard pooping? because if so, that's awesome.
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Nice bird. I reckon with some minor tweaks you could make it into Kevin, the bird from Up.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

ginshun wrote:Is that Leopard pooping? because if so, that's awesome.
Haha, it does look like he is pooping. Actually I gave the belly an extra crimp, because I thought it looked to straight and flat. Just to give it a nicer pose, guess now I've the one and only pooping Leopard in my gallery!
chris_t wrote:Nice bird. I reckon with some minor tweaks you could make it into Kevin, the bird from Up.
I've googled a image of Kevin, and it does look kinda like that bird. Only kevin has feathers coming from the back of his head, and on my model they are coming from the sides (the two purple ones). Not sure if can make come from the back of his head aswell.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

They probably could be folded back or something depending on the CP.
And didn't Kevin turn out to be a female or something?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I don't have the crease pattern, or I'll have to unfold the entire model to get it. Tried to fold the bird again but I can't remember what I did... But since I can't 'read' Crease pattern I don't think it would have mattered anyway.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Now for a mayor update.

Because of the remark of the pooping leopard, I made this model by ronald koh. 'The pooper'

pooper koh by roodborst078, on Flickr

I made a post on 'what to fold' because I made some new tissue foil. I made Anibal Voyer wasp. But the thing was plain ugly, and i've tried satoshi's unicorn but failed. I did make Anibal Voyer's Pegasus, wich was a lot harder then I thought.
pegasus voyer by roodborst078, on Flickr

I searched for more stuff from Voyer and found 'sicario', wich has a very usefull base to mess around with. These are the models I made using this base.

fantasy creature by roodborst078, on Flickr

kudu by roodborst078, on Flickr

goat by roodborst078, on Flickr

goats kudu by roodborst078, on Flickr

And I modified my own base, to get a extra paper for the head an tail to create the next models.

wyvern 1.1 by roodborst078, on Flickr

wyvern 1.1 by roodborst078, on Flickr

wyvern 1.2 by roodborst078, on Flickr

wyvern 1.2 by roodborst078, on Flickr
And because someone posted something on a scaled version of satoshi's unicorn, on wich I searched a little bit and found out it was a 'qilin', a kind off chinese unicorn/dragon/ bull combination. I tried to design my own qilin (without scales, I don't know how to do that).

qilin 1.1 by roodborst078, on Flickr

qilin 1.2 by roodborst078, on Flickr

And with that one I'll end my update...
Last edited by roodborst on October 30th, 2012, 1:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.