Cadix

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Re: Cadix

Post by GWB origami »

wow! it just keeps getting smaller and smaller!
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

This is likely the final revision. Still need to practice folding it and get it nice and cleaned up. I'm also going to try to use tissue-foil and see if that helps with having so much thickness...
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

I think I have, without recognizing it, achieved my original goal. In my latest revision to my four cranes, it occurs to me that the legs can be made arbitrarily thin and the paper under the tips of the wings can be made arbitrarily small as well. So, at least in theory, I suspect that by leaving the legs folded under (the edge of the leg aligns precisely with the center line of the crane's wing), I can produce connected from one sheet of paper that effectively meet at single point.

I'll have to verify this, but I'm quite hopeful. I also look forward to getting a hold of some very, very thin paper to try this with (granted the results will probably be less than stellar as the paper is hard to work with).

Also, note that the design is no longer strictly my own, as I have realized the method for thinning the legs is actually a stacked Kawasaki twist.
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

I hit upon what might be a kind of interesting maneuver. It has probably been done before, just based on its simplicity, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen it before:

Here's a link to a PDF version: http://samplesizeofone.com/share/alttwist.pdf

Also, the finished product, front and back:

It feels to me like a locked version of tucking the paper under and to center in one direction and then the other. I haven't found a use for it yet, but maybe one day...

Any feedback is appreciated.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

that is a cool Idea!
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

I found something to do with the basic mechanism shown above. It is very simple, and hard to make look clean, but I'm pretty happy with:

Top:

Bottom:

You can make as many little boxes as you like out of a single sheet of paper, and even vary the size of the boxes somewhat (though they have to form a grid). It also isn't quite as collapsed as I would like, but it seems very sturdy.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

It';s nice to see someone experimenting with techniques.
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Razzmatazz, I really enjoy just playing around with the paper until something interesting happens. Granted, there is probably a cap on how far I can go doing that, so I'd like to start doing more 'serious' designing so that I can do interesting things with whatever comes up while I'm fiddling about with paper :-)

Anyway, I have a basic semi-sequenced CP (http://samplesizeofone.com/share/lockbox.pdf) and a (sadly poor quality) demo of how to fold a lock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvRlkKStxhQ) if anyone is interested in providing feedback.
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Some improvements to my box (should work for any number of compartments, but I've only tried with 2x2):

Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Getting back on an origami kick. Designed a 'crane chain' and thought I'd share it. It isn't very complicated, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been done before, but for what it is worth:

Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Slightly nicer. Better paper, but the pattern is a bit distracting. Also, the head and tail are too short.

Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Better extension on the neck and tail, I think.

Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Here's a CP I came up with a while ago. It turns out, it is pretty much Maekawa's Turkey feathers four times over, but I still think it is an interesting application:

(a PDF is available at http://samplesizeofone.com/share/diamond-base.pdf)

Here's what it looks like folded:

There are a few interesting things to note. First, the elements of the CP can be repeated ad infinitum. Second, the base where the diamond joins with the rest of the paper (which forms a plane beneath it) can be made arbitrarily small given enough time and thin enough paper. Of course, it turns out to be impractical to repeat it more than a few times even using very thin paper in my experience.

The original goal of this design was to tessellate this pattern (which is trivial to do) and fold a crane out of each diamond so its wing touched the plane at a point. I also wished to do one that showed the folding sequence of the crane. Alas, due to its unwieldy nature I doubt I'll ever realize this.

Thoughts are appreciated, as are suggestions as to where I can order some arbitrarily thin paper and a pair of VERY small tweezers ;-)
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

As an addendum to my previous post, here's the crease pattern recursing down many layers. I'm not 100% sure it is right, but it should be close-ish:

eudaimonia

Post by eudaimonia »

Cadix wrote:Better extension on the neck and tail, I think.

It looks like they are carrying gifts. Was that what you intended?