Monthly Folding Challenge: February 2014

Friendly design and folding competitions.
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge: February 2014

Post by origamipete »

I disagree. the technique is similar, but the grid is different. I don't see it as the same model.

if different variations on similar theme are automatically going to be looked down on as designs of the first person who went that route, that completely negates the effort of the people who came later, and possibly didn't even know about the original. Here it's obvious the pyramids were created independently.

I don't think there is any other way how to create a multipple-level pyramid, do you?

How can jo nakashima claim the rights to the design but origamigeek can't? I am pretty sure Andrey Ermakov's much more complex pyramid which uses the same technique came before Jo Nakashima's one. so if anything, it should be called Andrey Ermakov's design, except it's not.

My treefrog uses a grafted frog base, and on top of that, it uses the same reference point for the grafts like Robert Lang's treefrog, and I didn't even have origami design secrets when I designed mine. I came up with it independently. The designer's credit belongs to Lang as much as it belongs to me. If you look at our frogs, it's clearly obvious they are distinct models.

the same applies here. the pyramids look distinct. You can rarely avoid convergence of ideas. similarly-minded people are going to arrive at similar solutions to similar problems.

how many beetle designs from blintzed bird/frog base are out there? tens of them at least. are all of them just one design?

how many people use wet-folding other than yoshizawa? are all wet folded models automatically Yoshizawa's?

"you can't use wetfolding, that's yoshizawa's thing!" I dare you to say that to somebody and wait for their response.

it's the same thing. it's good and fair to mention the people who've pioneered a technique, but the technique exists to be used by other people, and those people shouldn't be looked down upon for using it.

just my two cents.
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

marmalade wrote:My contribution to the topic / Out of judgement
Design: Box-Pleating 32x32
Paper: Lokta paper (Mustard) 50x50 cm
You're joking right..? I went on the same thing! Now I lost it..maybe I should design another one..
origamipete wrote:I disagree.
I read your words. There are some errors and some wrong parts but still I do agree on most parts. I don't want to go long on this and you seems to be in anger mode so I'll just skip those parts.
Anyway,you're right about it but your assertion seems a little bit too aggressive.. I don't really think he said that in any way so serious,you're going too far..
This place is a public place and I don't want you guys to controvert over such things.. if you still have any other words you want to say to him or me,please give us pm.
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

greencube07 wrote:
I read your words. There are some errors and some wrong parts but still I do agree on most parts. I don't want to go long on this and you seems to be in anger mode so I'll just skip those parts.
No... Not angry at all. I was just me giving my two cents on the subject. I didn't intend my comment to be ill-tempered and it certainly wasn't ill-willed.

I still think no one here would like to be told they've passed someone else's work as their own, that was the sole reason for my comment.
greencube07 wrote: This place is a public place.
There. Why then, when I disagree with someone and explain why, there is somebody going: "oh you angry, angry person!?" If I'm really giving off such a negative vibe, I will stick to uploading pictures from now on...

Sorry everyone.
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

I actually didn't think that Pete's comment was agressive at all. I also completely agree. I once designed a scorpion that was similar to Chan's, without knowing of its existence. That doesn't make it less so my design.
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89546245@N05
Comments welcome!!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

OK, Sorry Kyle and Petr and Greencube. I should've noticed that the grid was smaller. it was just a silly mistake.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

we should get off this. We're totally messing up the challenge.

origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

Once again, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight.
marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Dear friends!

I don’t want this challenge to be messed up but the subject is little bit painful for many of artists. May be we should move this subject to other topic and continue to discuss it there.
But for the future, to avoid this kind of situations, before designing or publishing own models we should search on web to make sure there is no precedent designs before.
greencube07 wrote: You're joking right..? I went on the same thing! Now I lost it..maybe I should design another one..
I wonder your design of Vitruvius Man, please publish it. There are lots of different designs of the same prototypes in origami so, you are not forbidden to design your own model even if there is resembled model exists.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

marmalade wrote:
greencube07 wrote: You're joking right..? I went on the same thing! Now I lost it..maybe I should design another one..
I wonder your design of Vitruvius Man, please publish it. There are lots of different designs of the same prototypes in origami so, you are not forbidden to design your own model even if there is resembled model exists.
Yeah. I agree with you. I've designed a compass first but Pete shared his compass also. Didn't he?

JAPC

Post by JAPC »

A quick sketch of a geometric dragon :)
jeko

Post by jeko »

Schachtel-Schaf (Boxy Sheep)

from a rectangle
crayhk

Post by crayhk »

Hi! My first time here in the forum and this is my entry.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reneerae/11907286114/
dub-a-dee

Post by dub-a-dee »

The Real Justin suggested posting this for Feb challenge. It was the result of another challenge to make something with an A format sheet starting with a book fold and staying under 6 steps,

Flicker link to slight variations and diff lighting...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamivis ... 531084774/
crayhk

Post by crayhk »

For easy access, I am posting the image here.
Thanks and have a nice day to all!
quiet marverick

Post by quiet marverick »

Finally I have a design for this challenge.
The thief of my last geometry... poor guardian...

Oh no... it has stolen the last geometry xD von quiet marverick auf Flickr