Monthly Challenge: February 2016

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Baltorigamist

Monthly Challenge: February 2016

Post by Baltorigamist »

The topic for this month will be PURELAND. Design and fold anything you want, but only use mountain and valley folds. >;D

RULES:
One uncut square.
No glue (MC allowed, but it shouldn't be necessary)
And, of course, only pureland models allowed. (Some kind of proof required)

Yagowe will judge. Good luck!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Monthly Challenge: February 2016

Post by roodborst »

Could someone provide some pureland examples. I have heard little of these rules.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

the problem with this challenge is that anyone could cheat in a reverse fold or a sink fold in order to win, and you wouldn't know it with just an image of the model. So would it be a good idea to include an image of a set of diagrams that show steps on how to make the model to prove that it really is pureland?
Check out my flickr page
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Good idea. I'll edit the OP.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

In 2007 we already had a pureland challenge, so I throw in two more diagrams that derived from that challenge just for inspiration.
Cat by me: http://www.origami.at/diagrams/katze.pdf
Hamster by Gerwin Sturm: http://www.origami.at/diagrams/hamster.pdf
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Has anyone else noticed it is actually possible to get to bases like the fish base and preliminary base with pureland folding?
nornberg

Post by nornberg »

Hi! Yup, it's possible. John Smith himself noted that, as we can learn in his site (although I never tried).

Here's my submition.

I'm new, not to folding but to designing... this is really my 2nd model. Ripping the previous challenge's theme: hope you can see a dachshund looking left. :) If you can see a dog, i'm already a winner! This piece is 2D, much like this puppy.

Sorry for the quality of the diagrams - just to prove it's all made of valeys (and one mountain). Note the references (circles) for some folds. I realized I didn't put a reference for the last fold: it's made perpendicular to the right edge.
Luiz Alessandro Nörnberg
Brasil
juston

Post by juston »

Merlyngami wrote:Has anyone else noticed it is actually possible to get to bases like the fish base and preliminary base with pureland folding?
Yeah, and Tachi Tomohiro (among others, I'm sure) came up with a pureland solution to folding the traditional crane... though you've never had to work as hard to get a petal fold as you will doing it one mountain or valley fold at a time. If anyone's curious the diagram is in Tanteidan 18.

PS: I never set out to do it, nor realized it at the time, but I've designed two pureland models already.

And my Waterbomb Rabbit diagram could be pureland if I split steps one and eight into multiple, single fold steps.

Now let's see if I can design a pureland model this month and on purpose. :wink:
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
scorpion2.4

Post by scorpion2.4 »

Are we allowed to do partly folded folds? (like the 90º folds in the end of almost every origami airplane for the wings to stick out)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I don't see why not. (:
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

Fishie!
I'm inexperienced with drawing diagrams digitally, so I have an album on my Flickr here.
juston

Post by juston »

I've designed three models so far but I haven't decided how I'm going to diagram them yet (photos or drawings). I don't have the time for either option this weekend but I really wanted to share these with you as soon as possible. I'll put the diagrams in a later post (perhaps with another model or two if inspiration strikes).

First up is the Washington Monument (or any obelisk, really). It's such a simple model that someone may have discovered it before. Let me know if it was someone else's first so I can give proper credit.

Next is a Stegosaurus. While the basic structure of the model is, once again, so simple I'm almost certain it has to have been used before, I'm confident that mine is unique for one reason. Most simple Stegosaurus models are based on older reconstructions of the creature and therefore don't properly reflect its posture or proportions. My more modern take on this popular origami subject becomes more evident when some simple shaping is applied.

And finally is the the Giza pyramid complex. This is the second time I've taken on this particular subject matter and, though this model is much simpler, I think it's the more successful of the two. This very simple model not only has all three Great pyramids, it also includes the distinctive apex of the pyramid of Khafre (which still retains its casing stones), and the three smaller pyramids adjacent to the pyramid of Menkaure (implied where the pleated, dune-like folds terminate). The pleats also serve to set up a sense of perspective that makes the pyramids appear to recede into the distance.

Last edited by juston on February 19th, 2016, 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I like the pyramids most. Great job!
nornberg

Post by nornberg »

I like the pyramids a lot. It really has a sense of perspective created by the dunes and the superposition of the pyramids. The apex detail makes the world monument instantly recognizable, and not just three generic pyramids. Good job!
Luiz Alessandro Nörnberg
Brasil