Monthly Design Challenge January 2018

Friendly design and folding competitions.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Monthly Design Challenge January 2018

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Hello everybody and welcome to 2018! =D> :lol:

I know, this was posted at the end of December 2017, but whatever. It never hurts to get a head start, and its better too early than too late, right?

Thank you again to everybody who contributed last month. The dual topic seemed to confuse people a bit and didn't really help as most people did dragons, but at least it was a learning experience for what works and what doesn't work.

Anyways, for this month, the topic will be FOOD.

Examples: fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, etc; chefs, farmers, friendly moms, etc; forks, refrigerators, plates, etc; you may even stretch it to a store or shopping cart or something not specific to food, as long as you photograph it in a way that clearly shows how it is related to food. There should be a lot of ideas, and a wide range of difficulties; from a housemaid rivaling Ryo Kamiya, to a strip of paper folded to look like a butter knife. It shouldn't be hard to come up with something, and I believe that every single member of this forum can do it. If you need an example, I posted a mushroom in the "What have you designed lately?"

As for rules, you may use any kind or size of paper, but please use one uncut square. Mc is allowed, and so is tape as long as it is hidden.

It's a new year, a fresh start. Make it a resolution to do origami more often! Can we as a community beat last month's turn out of 5 entries?

Merylngami will be judging this month. Good luck to all, and happy folding!
Last edited by NeverCeaseToCrease on January 6th, 2018, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlyngami

Re: Monthly Design Challenge January 2018

Post by Merlyngami »

Great topic, hoping to see some interestimg designs this month. Maybe an fat person? Or a simple milk bottle? I feel like this topic could be good for practicing your skills in designing 3d objects.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

January is my birthday Month, so I thought I would fold an origami cake with candles. However, 73 candles in one cake is a real folding mess and not very interesting. However, this June, my twin Grand-daughters will be three years old. One likes Chocolate and the other likes Vanilla – so here is two slightly different version of a “Twin Cake”. The larger cake (darker chocolate) is folded from one uncut 13” by 28” rectangle. Each of the smaller cake HALVES is folded from an uncut square.
Since the contest I am entering for this month requires folding from a square, please consider the “half-baked” idea (pun definitely intended).
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
tomjerrry

Post by tomjerrry »

-sebl-

Post by -sebl- »

the year of the dog start with a food subject challenge !
ok
ImageYear of the dog by sebastien limet, sur Flickr
:mrgreen:
Goldtiger-997

Post by Goldtiger-997 »

Here's my design:
Carrot - my design by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure its obvious, but the origami model is the carrot :D . It was folded from my last 18cm square of duo kami, so it was quite a coincidence that it was the right colour.
It's a simple design, and the design process was quite intuitive, so I would not be surprised if someone has created this exact design before. Just from designing this carrot, I can tell that these monthly challenges are definitely going to improve my design skills :) . I've read before that you are allowed to enter more than once, so perhaps I will try and design something else as well (hopefully better).
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Great designs everyone! If i had to pick a best design (which I do), I would say the winner is Goldtiger with his carrot. It's simple but effective, and the colour change definitely adds to it. The final model is unmistakably a carrot, and even appears to be nicely three-dimensional. I like the slightly carttony feel it has to it, with the simple, neat shape and bright colours.

Great work everyone, so i'll create the topic for febuary and Goldtiger will judge it. Happy folding :D
Goldtiger-997

Post by Goldtiger-997 »

Wow, I wasn't expecting to win :o ! Thanks very much Merlyngami for your compliments. There were some nice designs this month, with a reasonable number of people entering (especially compared to November). I look forward to judging this months challenge :) !
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Great work to all who entered! Four entries is far better than some of the months last year.

I hope we can all continue to add great entries, can't wait to get back in on the February Challenge!
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Goldtiger-997 wrote:Wow, I wasn't expecting to win :o !
I would've also picked yours :). I also think it was best model of the challenge in relation to the subject.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom