Monthly Folding Challenge - March 2008

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I am working on a bacteriophage...now that I finally figured out what they are called :twisted:
DZIGGITAI

Post by DZIGGITAI »

I'll be interested to see what cp you come up with for the phage. I found a really easy way to fold one from a square but have yet to fold it (doubt I will ever...)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I am still working on how to stem things off of the icosahedron at the top-but I have some ideas...it shouldn't be too difficult. I am going with a hexagonal design, by the way...
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

A T-4? Or just some other bacteriophage?

I thought that this might interest you: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16697847@N00/256305654/
although it would be nice to see one with pins and a more defined baseplate, as well as a collapsible shaft.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Hm. Honestly, I never thought about it. Just a generic bacteriophage-I remember pictures of them from high school science books, but that's all.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Heres the Dust Mite, now finished

It is a bit wrinkly, but it was hard to shape too. The photo may have been edited a little :wink:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
klnothincomin

Post by klnothincomin »

Very realistic, the legs look great also, in fact, I will vote for your model when the time comes cupcake! Unless if there is another good model. :wink:
Kevin Luo
If practice doesn't make perfect, at least it passes time! ^_^
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

That's nice, Cupcake!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Thanks guys!

Kevin: Theres no voting in the monthly challenges. The judge (this month its firstfold) decides.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
klnothincomin

Post by klnothincomin »

Oh, I forgot that firstfold's the judge, but I still think your designs are great cupcake! :wink:
Kevin Luo
If practice doesn't make perfect, at least it passes time! ^_^
Finward

Post by Finward »

Hi, here is my entry for this month.
Tick (I dont know the specie, family, but I think something similar exists)
This is a creation of about three years ago, folded with better paper and a bit of more knowledge.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

I wish I could declare this a tie for all who submitted models, but we need a judge for the next contest.

2nd. place – Cupcake – I saw some models on Flickr that cupcake was developing that had first place potential but they didn’t make it here on time – keep on submitting models. Your work is always interesting.

1st. place – Finward: I really liked the legs – Just looking at this model made me itch.

Now for next month’s contest (April) -

FOLDING OUT OF TIME – design and display one NEW model during the month of April which is based on anything which does or might exist 100 to 200 years away from the present date. You could go backwards to approximately the 19th century (1808 to 1908) or forwards to approximately the 22nd century (2108 to 2208). If you feel really compelled to take on an additional challenge, fold a model that represents an existing item from the 19th century and then another model based on what it might look like 200 years later.

I’m leaving the rules fairly open to encourage participation. Any starting shape, number of units, or any foldable material is OK. I like to use clear plastic overhead sheets for windows. You will probably loose points for using glue or making additional cuts but if you must then do it. You can base the model on some other source but the model should be an original design (your own creation) that will first be publicly displayed (not necessarily folded) during the Month of April 2008.

I will start a new thread for the contest with Finward as the judge and the person to propose the theme for May.

Congratulations to all who entered – I think we all win when people come up with new models !
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Finward

Post by Finward »

WHAT???
YEAHHHHHH!!!! I WIIIIN!!!! I WIIIIN!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
blah blah blah
well, now to think a theme for may :?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Congrats, Finward.

Thanks, firstfold. I tried to get it done, but... it turns out that to do it, I need a really big and really long piece of paper, so far. I'll keep trying.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Whaaat no fair-it is still March (at least where I live in the US). Anyway, I folded my bacteriophage today-I don't know if it is good enough to place, and I certainly won't ask to redo the judging, but here it is for all who are interested:

T4 Bacteriophage
Folded from a hexagon of foil