Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2008

Friendly design and folding competitions.
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

I know I haven't folded anything for a long time, and I know its too late already but here goes.

Possum Climibing a Tree During Winter (1 square)

Woohoo last day of winter in Australia!!!

Two pictures resized by Moderator
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Here's a little harp seal:
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Alisher_Navoi, welcome back and great model!

Wolf, that is just awesome!
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

This was a very difficult contest to judge. The concept of “Cute” is a very personal judgment as one’s own child or ones own toys are always the cutest. When I considered other criteria, I came up with entirely different rankings. I tried asking a few friends (mostly non-folders) what they thought was the cutest and again there was no agreement. I looked at existing similar origami models, and photos, drawings, and sculptures of similar items. The more I studied, the less sure I was about the final decision.

However, my responsibility was to choose a winner based primarily on cuteness.

In third place I chose the Rode Runner by Kafar and the Hamster by bluepaper . I thought either might have been a first place winner with a different judge or set of criteria. I really liked the color change effects or the rode runner. However, the cuteness of the rode runner cartoon depends on a large degree on the voices of Wile and the Rhode Runner as realized by Mel Blanc and Paul Julian (beep, beep) and perhaps to a lesser degree the visual effect. . If you like old time humor you have to look up Mel Blanc on the web! The design the hamster had a specific coloration and this tended to tie in my mind the cuteness of the photo. I am not so sure that I would have thought the model as cute without that association. I thought the folding qualities of these models were fantastic.

In second place, I chose the Chimpanzee by qtrollip. I saw in the Flickr files how this model was developed from a mask to and adult Chimp to a baby. The subtleties of the change were absolutely astonishing and the characterization of a Chimp face was awesome.. I tried to look at the Web sites , blogs, or Flikr files for all of entries. My wife chose this model in first place.

In first place I chose anermak with two very cute models. The visual image of Winnie-the-pooh has undergone several historical changes from the Illustrations in the A. A. Milne book (which has the appearance of a Steiff Teddy Bear) to the much larger chin of the Disney version. I found a few images on the Web that were spitting images of the origami model. One was picture of a Pooh animatron at Disney World and the other was a characterization on a shower curtain that had the same exact chin and cocked ears. Folding a curve in a 3D model often requires a brilliant bit of planning. Anermak got the “Hungry for Honey” grin just right. The pictures of the mother and child Giraffe looking at each other just coincides with my conception of cuteness. It was this pose with the curved necks and large ears that put anermak slightly over the top for me.

The theme for September will be Sports. I always encourage as much participation and broadly defined creativity as possible so no limits on folding style, paper, or number of units. I think there may be a bias towards models folded from a single square so multi-unit models might tend to require a unique feature that just couldn’t be done by one piece of paper. I will leave the exact criteria up to the next judge. Consider the following possibilities:

Sports equipment or vehicles
Animals in sports
Sports symbols and mascots
The heroes of sports
A sports action model you can play with???

Anermak will judge this contest and will propose the challenge theme for October.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Congrats Anermak, Chad and Kafar. keep up the good work!!
And also well done to everybody who attributed to the challenge - some very very creative ideas. Well done!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Interesting judgement and congratulations to everyone. My personal favourite in cuteness this month was by far Cupcakes kitten, later followed by the giraffes of Anermak. The other models didn't match the criteria of cuteness for me, also if some of them where really breathtaking good (f.e. guinea pig). But I'm not the judge...
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

Loved the chimpanzee quentin. Brilliant colour changing at the right places.

Pooh was cute also anemark, maybe you should consider folding the rest of the characters in the series. I know Jasper Origami Page has instructions for eeyore!
TED

Post by TED »

i personally thik that the owlet captures "cuteness" really well.
good job, Evilameba! :D
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Congratulations everyone, and thanks Anna :D

Sports, eh? That sounds familiar...
(Some examples of origami sports can be found here. I never got around to making anything that month, so now I have a second chance)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Congratulations, everyone!
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

Thank you all ... great! \:D/
I am very happy that my model liked. If anyone need i can publish CP, these two models.
qtrollip, Kafar my congratulation, I really liked your model.
Chad is your model incredibly realistic and cute. If I judge this challenge your work would be in the first place. I am sorry that Panda has died and I know that this hard, I have very recently died dog and I also made a paper model of a dog in memory of beloved pets. It seems unfair that they live more of us. :cry:
If the judge is not opposed, I would like to give first place to Chad (bluepaper) :roll:
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

As long as the other person's who entered models have no objections and bluepaper is willing to act as judge for the next contest, I have no problem awarding first prize to bluepaper in memory of Panda.

Give it about a week to see how other's feel. I need to hear from bluepaper and would like to hear from the other people that were chosen to make sure this is OK.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

I agree, it's fair and his model was realy nice:D Also I would like to thank you all for good words :D
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

OK by me.
I actually contacted Bluepaper via flickr before he was a member here and asked him to submit his Guinea Pig design for this challenge (before hearing about Panda), because when this topic came up, that model which I saw on flickr came to mind immediately!
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

Thank you all for your kind comments :P

I would be happy to accept Anermak's offer and act as the judge for the september challenge :D