Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

PPS: Great models from everybody, and well done to Cephalopod - the Octopus was my favourite, too.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Whitefly

Post by Whitefly »

Fishgoth wrote: of ... cephalopods.
PPS: The plural of octopus is 'octopuses' or classically 'octopodes', but never 'octopii'. The word derives from classical Greek, not Latin.
The same classical latin way the plural for cephalopod is cephalopodes.
lol!
Ciao
Mario
Cephalopod

Post by Cephalopod »

Fishgoth wrote:Anyone else see the irony?

PS: For the non teuthologically minded, the octopus that 'Cephalopod' has folded belongs for the mollusc class of ... cephalopods.
Couldn't resist. :lol:
Visit my flickr gallery! Please :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38104997@N08/
juston

Post by juston »

As per rule #9 I've held my applause until the end of the show... but now it's compliment time.

Sara, that's a great interpretation of Hung Cuong Nguyen's eagle and a wonderful, sensitively folded model in it's own right. If that was your first model ever it's safe to say we can expect great things from you in the future.

Nathan, your Shibaraku is awesome and it got me wondering just what the heck is Hojyo Takashi's Shibaraku supposed to represent exactly? So I did some research to find out all about it and that inspired me to start designing my own version (which may or may not be forthcoming soon, depending on how often and severely the creativity bug bites me... ouch).

Donya, I really dig your style (it's evident in all your models). Your Stegosaurus is what inspired me to make my dinosaurs this month. I'm proud to say that I've folded him and he's now engaged in a thrilling (yet paleontologically inaccurate) fight to the death with my sauropods next to my monitor.

PauliusOrigami, your eagle ray is fantastic and I think I may actually prefer it to Kamiya's (nobody hit me).

Aces21, your Thurberus is possibly the cutest damn thing I've ever seen... well done.

PS: Sara, legionzilla, Rdude, and grizzly man, thank you for your kind words. I'm definitely going to be drawing up diagrams for my simple sauropods and, if I do instructions for my rose, they'll probably be in the form of photos with explanatory text or a video (as I've never diagrammed anything and I'm pretty sure I'd do a terrible job of rendering the 3-D steps in two dimensions).
Donya

Post by Donya »

Ah yes, that rule #9 thing. It's good to be able to clutter up the remainder of the thread freely now. :lol:
! wrote:Donya, that is amazing! I never thought I'd live to see a simple stegosaurus, but you've proved me wrong, and elegantly so! Wonderful piece.
Thanks! The only tricky thing is that it sometimes wants to become bipedal if the shaping on the hind legs isn't just right to keep everything ballanced.

juston wrote:Donya, I really dig your style (it's evident in all your models). Your Stegosaurus is what inspired me to make my dinosaurs this month. I'm proud to say that I've folded him and he's now engaged in a thrilling (yet paleontologically inaccurate) fight to the death with my sauropods next to my monitor.
Paleontologically inaccurate battles are often the best type heheh. Thanks for giving my Stegosaurus a go!
juston wrote:I'm definitely going to be drawing up diagrams for my simple sauropods
I'll keep an eye out - that first one of yours in particular is on my want-to-fold list. It has quite elegant proportions, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing how you got the legs as they are.