The Ryu Zin Challenge

Friendly design and folding competitions.
ryuzin_origami

The Ryu Zin Challenge

Post by ryuzin_origami »

Are you up for it?
Up for what?
The ryu zin challenge!
What?
I am going to set up a challenge/competition! Make an upgraded version of kamiya's ryu zin 3.5- or a downgraded for those minimalistic dudes...

Here are some ideas
A complete set of teeth
Nostrils
Color change
Proper legs
Wings
A more defined head
Then we will have a poll to see who's is best!
Oh yeah.. I forgot this part: enter a picture of your ryu zin and they will be judged in a few weeks... If anyone actually dares to make one...
I have made a new flickr account! http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryuzin_origami/
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Chinesse dragon has not the wings.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
ryuzin_origami

Post by ryuzin_origami »

I didn't say it was a chinese dragon- you can make it western if you want!
P.S
ryu zin is japanese...
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You're a funny guy, ryuzin_origami. Have you folded any Ryu-zins?
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Just one tiny problem.
Not all of us can upgrade, or even downgrade Kamiya's Ryujin 3.5, mostly because we don't have anything to upgrade it from.
Namely, the crease pattern :wink: .

Edit:
ryuzin_origami wrote: Here are some ideas
A complete set of teeth
Nostrils
Color change
Proper legs
Wings
A more defined head

What do you mean by "proper legs"? they already are"proper" I would have thought. And the head is already well defined.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
bethnor
Buddha

Re: The ryu zin challenge

Post by bethnor »

i'm gonna be a bit of a party pooper.

imho, the ryu-zin is kamiya's most overrated work. the fascination with it is its extreme complexity--which to me, is its least interesting feature (by far, to me, the true innovation in the ryu-zin is the way he derives its serpentine shape by collapsing the base into an "S" instead of going along the diagonal). in fact, the zillion scale thing has been done before with joisel's pangolin, and traces its roots to yosshino's boar (i could be mistaken). sure, it's neat to look at. but what a chore to fold. maybe i'm the only one, but laying down an 80x80 grid or whatever doesn't sound fun... at all.

contrast this with his kabuto-mushi or cyclommatus metalifer, which i recently figured out. the process for both is organic and fun, unusually so for a kamiya model. i'd rather see some innovations along that pathway, and along the stuff that komatsu creates, instead of another set of horns on the ryu-zin.

/end thread jack.
CaiMcKtlin

Post by CaiMcKtlin »

Broadly, I agree with Bethnor.
Also, I am not up for the challenge due to a complete lack of the requisite skill.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Re: The ryu zin challenge

Post by origamimasterjared »

imho, the ryu-zin is kamiya's most overrated work.
Disagree. Phoenix. Though Ryu-zin is probably second most overrated. It is amazing, beautiful, etc. but no longer at the front after 8 years.
the fascination with it is its extreme complexity--which to me, is its least interesting feature (by far, to me, the true innovation in the ryu-zin is the way he derives its serpentine shape by collapsing the base into an "S" instead of going along the diagonal).
Agree! That is what makes it so brilliant! Also, being able to isolate the scales like that and have them transition directly into parallel pleats.
in fact, the zillion scale thing has been done before with joisel's pangolin, and traces its roots to yosshino's boar (i could be mistaken).
These are a different kind of scales though. Not just scales, but body "plates", and those spines along the back.

I do think that the addition of leg scales was a necessary improvement to version 2. I believe in balanced detailing. If you're gonna give one leg toes, all of them need it, if you give the bottom jaw teeth, you better figure out how to do the same for the top, etc. In this case having a scaled body with scaleless legs, just didn't look complete.
sure, it's neat to look at. but what a chore to fold. maybe i'm the only one, but laying down an 80x80 grid or whatever doesn't sound fun... at all.
Agreed, and this is one of the reasons atop my list of why I haven't folded any Ryu-zins (except version 1)
contrast this with his kabuto-mushi or cyclommatus metalifer, which i recently figured out. the process for both is organic and fun, unusually so for a kamiya model.
His folding sequences are usually organic and fun. Especially anything since his book. And those two were insects! Try his Elephant and Sleipnir. Those were awesome.
ryuzin_origami

Post by ryuzin_origami »

Well at least the cp for 2.1 is on kamiya's site...
I mean legs that come from the body so that the dragon has a continuos(?) line of scales- I mean, legs from the top of the body? That dragon must be in a LOT of pain...
Not saying ryu zin isn't amazing...
It can be an intepretation if you want!
P.S
yeah I have folded ryu zin 3.5 though it looks pretty pitiful...
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I smell a troll
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the current definition of troll, but I'm not really seeing anything here...do you mind explaining your reasoning? Of course, its probably obvious, I have a talent for missing the obvious details.

Anyway, this challenge seems to be contradicting itself. Ryu Jin is a specific Japanese water dragon from mythology. You can't fold a western dragon and call it Ryu Jin. Well you could, but it wouldn't be accurate for those that care about the details (e.g. me)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

troll

1a. Noun
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
CatEater

Post by CatEater »

I would have to agree with brimstone, this topic smells of troll
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I think I see it now... very subtle though. I walked right into the trap, didn't I?
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

This may be an unintentional troll. Don't be too quick to ostracize... This user has been on the forum before, and he/she didn't troll anyone last time.