Human models gripping things

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Brimstone
Buddha

Human models gripping things

Post by Brimstone »

Human-like models are probably my favorite origami subject, but I have a complaint. Those models that grip things (mainly swords but other objects too) do not have a "clean" transition between hand and object and it looks aweful. Maybe the only exception to this being Eric Joisel's Lord of the Rings series in which the object is not just an extension of the flap from which the hand is made, but an independent flap coming from the other end of the paper.

So if anyone knows a model that has a good hand-object transition, please post it here or if anyone is up for the challenge, go ahead and create a model with this condition.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

By "clean transition" do you mean the sword comes from the hand flap and not somewhere a little farther down (wrist or forearm)?
kplank

Post by kplank »

Hi i belive that Nicolas terry Gobelin series have that quality you want. They are not realy humans but kind of!!!
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Jonnycakes wrote:By "clean transition" do you mean the sword comes from the hand flap and not somewhere a little farther down (wrist or forearm)?
That exactly.
kplank wrote:Hi i belive that Nicolas terry Gobelin series have that quality you want. They are not realy humans but kind of!!!
That seems like a good example of what I mentioned was desirable.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

But in Nicolas Terry's Goblins the sword comes from the same position as in Joisel's Lord of the Ring models, so it isn't really attached to the hands. One of the best solutions I remember was by one of our Forum member who took Nicolas Terry's Winged Warrior as a base and turned the wings into things in his hands. Being a second flap you can take care to get nice hands but have enough paper to shape the object within the hands.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I guess that's the only way to do it properly.
topsu

Post by topsu »

mikiller also did that with his pirate model, the swords were coming from the cape.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Another possible solution would be to not have individual fingers, but a texture that looks like fingers instead. It would take some fooling around, but I am sure there are other solutions-perhaps they just are not very easy to come by and that is why they haven't been used yet.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

This is something many have tried (I included) and failed at the attempt
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Hoang Trung Thanh Did that with his Swordsman model.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

What about Hoang Trung Thang's Soul Hunter? The hand gripping the scythe seems pretty clean to me.

viewtopic.php?t=992&start=75
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Looking at those pictures it seems to me that the scythe is coming from his hip. I doubt it is connected to the hand.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Well, it IS connected to his hip. I meant that there appears to be a pretty clean transition between the hand and the scythe, just like what Brimstone was looking for.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Thanks for the answers so far. I think the Soul Hunter indeed has a clean transition from hand to gripping object. Anna pointed another "problem" it has, but regarding clean transitions, this is one fine example.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Gerwin Sturm's 3 Swordsman and Kamiya's wizard are also good examples.
Tran Trung Hieu's Sima Sakon is also a good example(if the sword is from the same paper......)