Monthly Folding Challenge - June 2010

Friendly design and folding competitions.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

donya! the iguanodon is fantastic!

the proportions of the ankylosaur, for being so abstract, are perfect.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Right. Not enough English Dinosaurs in this thread, so here are a couple. Both are folded from foil-backed paper. The first is a Lexovisaurus, an early stegosaurid. I've tried to get sails on the front, and spikes on the rear of the spine. I've tried to give an impression of a couple of shoulder spikes, too. Some versions of this dino are pictured with evenly spaced spikes, but I've opted for a 'thagomizer' at the end of the tail, and this looks much more fun. The model is based on a 10 by ten grid. The second model, Eustreptospondylus, is an old design with an couple of extra pleats thrown in to give longer legs, eye ridges, and better proportions. The original design crease pattern is in the 'Adding toes' article on fishgoth.com.

Lexovisaurus

Eustreptospondylus

Last edited by Fishgoth on July 2nd, 2010, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

PS: Explanation of the term 'thagomizer' here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thagomizer
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Fishgoth wrote:The second mode, Eustreptospondylus,l is an old design with an couple of extra pleats thrown in to give longer legs, eye ridges, and better proportions.
Actually, Eustreptospondylus doesn't have eye ridges (click on small thumbnail to see larger picture), though you can certainly be forgiven for thinking it does since most of the info on the web about this rather obscure theropod uses an Allosaurus skull for a model. But the model is great -- I like it a lot!
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Bah - reconstructions I saw as child in the Isle of Wight have had me fooled for years, then ;-) Next you'll say that the Iguanadon footprints on the island are fakes ;-)
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

today i am the curious one, who asks for the judge - so please, juston, tell us about your favourite dinosaur models and about the topic for july!
juston

Post by juston »

Wow, you guys sure didn't make this easy on me. :shock: Up until about five minutes ago I was just as curious as grizzly man as to who would win. After much deliberation I've narrowed it down to three finalists... and I feel that any of these three are more than worthy of the win. So, here is my very subjective ranking...

3rd place: Adams Chen's feathered raptor.
I liked both of your raptors but I felt this one was more muscular and menacing looking... it looked like a ferocious little predator. It also did more with less, which I always enjoy in origami. Getting such a well proportioned and detailed model out of a 16x16 box pleating grid is impressive.

2nd place: Fishgoth's oviraptor.
A great likeness and a great color change... and what colors you chose! I love the way the subdued blue-green looks against that rather violent red. There aren't nearly enough origami oviraptors in the world, thank you for gifting us with such a wonderful one.

1st place: Donya's iguanodon.
You did a lot of great models this month but my favorite by far was your perfectly proportioned and posed modern iguanodon reconstruction. It reminds me favorably of Akira Yoshizawa's more outdated, upright-standing iguanodon from Origami Museum I... it's simple, clean and says a lot with only a little. A perfect origami model, in my opinion. =D>

I'll be posting the July challenge soon... or rather, just as soon as I figure out what it's going to be. As the winner, Donya will judge July's challenge and choose the theme for August.
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

my congratulation to the winners! i'll keep on being curious - on what the july challenge will be about and if there'll be as many postings as for the dino-topic ... the summer pretends to become a hot season and may be a lot of fingers will become too wet to fold something new and beautiful.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Bah, second again ;-)

Donya's model was simple, well folded, and nicely photographed. I hope that this is an inspiration to everyone who looks at these competition pages - you don't need to be able to fold complex models to win!

Congrats to everyone. I personally thought that Adams Chen's dinos were superb, and that Donya's Parasaurolophus was even better than the Iguanadon!
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

Congratulations, some good entries this month
Fishgoth wrote:... you don't need to be able to fold complex models to win!
Amen to that!
"Had we but world enough and time..."
Donya

Post by Donya »

HOLY SMOKES! :shock: Thanks so much for you kind remarks Juston.
the summer pretends to become a hot season and may be a lot of fingers will become too wet to fold something new and beautiful.
I hope those fingers don't become too sticky! When it gets so hot and humid that dampness is a problem, I just consider it a good time to do wet folding. :lol:
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Hayfever is certainly making my 'wet' folding more interesting.
juston

Post by juston »

Fishgoth wrote:Congrats to everyone. I personally thought that Adams Chen's dinos were superb, and that Donya's Parasaurolophus was even better than the Iguanadon!
I'm not gonna lie... this was the toughest month to judge. I keep an eye on this topic even when I'm not participating and I've never had such a hard time picking my favorites. So many people entered multiple models, all of a consistently high quality... it was hard enough narrowing it down to three people, let alone three models. Don't get me wrong though, having a forum full of mega-talented people is a good thing, it just makes the judge's job slightly more nerve wracking.
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

i would just like to add that fishgoths comment reminded me of the "new" red drwarf where lister ironed his sneeze :D :D