Monthly Folding Challenge - July 2010

Friendly design and folding competitions.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

all around the globe. *sigh*
you mean after all parts the 1st has become?this is the southeast i'm living in.............
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

and it's now 11:10 pm here ;-) :wink:
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

And here in the great white North it is 2:42 pm. So suck it up and wait for me to cross the 31st-->1st mark
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

Where does Donya live, anyway?
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

I want to go with US but that'll be bad if I'm wrong xD
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

That's what I was thinking but really I have no idea.
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

I just learned that Donya is from Connetticut, USA (I hope I spelled that right).
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

So that means it'll be definitely around 6GMT before she posts. Well that's my guess at the minimum time.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

yes.southeast means India.and it is conneCticut, not conneTticut.now it's 7.39 am, 1st august sunday here.this week, there's a festival :-D
Donya

Post by Donya »

Alright, no more waiting – remember I did warn you guys that I would need to sit and ponder in the morning over coffee. :wink:

There were a lot of good things submitted this month. I avoided saying any preferences for one approach over another while entries were being submitted, since I didn’t want to hinder any creativity. I also felt I should keep my mind open to new directions the entries might take that might not have occurred to me otherwise. I hope that didn’t frustrate anyone too much. In the end, it was a hard decision that, as you can probably tell, left me pondering over coffee for longer than I originally intended. :shock:

To start, an honorable mention to NoahRatcl’s cube illusion.
I saw the picture first before reading any of the text and thought “wait a minute, surely you can’t put a cube here!” Then I scrolled down a bit and my head imploded. It’s a very clever design you have there.

In 3rd place, Snowblue’s 15-degree chameleon:
This has a wonderful depth to the body with the way the back is formed. It captures the feeling of one of these animals very well indeed.

In 2nd place, BluePaper’s mask:
It may not have been started for the challenge, but you are right that it fits well this month, although focusing mostly on multiples of 15 degrees from the technique. It is certainly a magnificent sculpture!

And finally, 1st place: Anermak’s robber:
This appeared early in the month, but its form and balance of smooth surfaces and points continue to stand out to me. It is a very elegant solution that also makes efficient use of the paper and feature's this month's angle prominently. It also has wonderful personality, so I would be happy to let this robber may steal my paper any day. :)

That’s it for now folks. I will have a new challenge thread up soon today (I am still collecting some picture examples for it). If I have followed the procedure right, Anermak will be the judge for the August theme and will choose September's theme.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Congratulations Anermark! I have to say your Robber was great. And you got your wish Noah, you got an honourable mention. They were all great models.
newbpcpfolder

congrats!

Post by newbpcpfolder »

congrats to all the winners, and to all those who participated.I didn't participate though.what's next month's topic gonna be?i really hope it's any anime!
well, jared's beetle didn't even get a place-and this musta been hard to decide, Donya.i really thought that jared or noah would win!
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Congratulations Anermak! :D
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

Yay! I got an honorable mention! Thanks a lot, Donya, it means so much to me that so many people like my models!
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

Thanks so much, Donya !!! :) I'm really happy that managed to win....
Congratulations to all the participants, it was a good battle =D>